Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need some holy priest help

I'm currently healing 10 man content with a resto druid and a holy paladin, and they ALWAYS beat the living crap out of me on healing.

I've been having mana issues lately so i've decided to reforge/gem/whatever more towards regen. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to reforge some mastery into haste/spirit, and if not, then should I focus more on mastery for 10 man healing?

TL;DR - I'm bad, help me out. Sorry for the small wall of text.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ohtee/advanced <my priest - also in sig

---------- Post added 2011-01-24 at 11:46 PM ----------

wtb help please

"Scientists explore what is; engineers create what has not been." -Theodore Von Karman

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you get any spell haste buff in this raid group such as from a Shadow Priest? If not then your haste is a little low. Otherwise your gear/spec/gems/enchants look pretty good.

Sometimes getting good healing numbers just means being the quickest healer IRL, meaning, you react faster than the other healers and get your heals off faster. But let's face it, you're a priest and right now, against a pally and a druid you are probably not going to beat them, all things being equal. The most important thing is, are you successfully downing bosses without people dying?
    Last edited by Denzion; 2011-01-25 at 12:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, you have strictly speaking better gear than I have, so you shouldn't be going out of mana.
    Then, you gemmed INT + Mastery, where you probably should have gemmed INT + Haste and I believe their are spirit boots enchants, which I think would be the better choice. I'm favoring Haste, which seems to work out perfectly fine for me.
    As for why your other healers are topping you, that's harder to say. Could you explain your spell selection a bit? This could help your mana issues as well. Are there specific fights you are feeling mana issues?
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Although I don't heal 10mans, my guess is that many fights don't really require 3 healers so a decent amount of the healing done would be overheal. If I could check logs of your runs I could get an idea but that is my assumption. Whoever said you don't have enough haste is freakin crazy. I think the biggest problem would be the small mana pool you have. Considering we have almost equal ilevel, I have a whopping 8k more mana (not a gnome) and even more regen then you. Dump the sea star (horrible trinket) and pick up either tear of blood or if u have the money DMC: tsunami.

Gems are kinda odd. You're going to want to stick to a single stat priority. You are using a heavy mixture of gems that shouldn't really be required.

Priority i'm currently using, and i'd suggest if your having mana issues.

Int=spirit>mastery>>>haste>crit

Haste and mastery throughput have been tested to be around the same, diffrence being that mastery is FREE HEALING when haste helps you burn through mana faster.

Gear looks great for the most part, i'd look to getting rid of that Sea Star, but everything else looks fine.

As for spells / spec. Are you using renew on anybody besides a single target with heal Chakra? I'm not, which is why i took all the points i could out of renew talents (except 1/2 improved renew, which is required). Between Surge of Light, Blessed Resiliance, and Desperate Prayer my personal servivabillity has skyrocketed (awesome for fights like p3 in Ascendant council, and Nef) Also, your going to want to try and pick up 3/3 in Darkness. Extra haste is awesome. I've seen this argued both ways, but currently i personally see no reason in 2/2 State of Mind, i'm using 1/2 atm, but have worked just fine with 0/2 also. Ohh, and dropping Veiled Shadows is hardly ever noticeable (typically you can get 2 off per fight anyways if you time your cooldowns early enough.)

Other Spells:
    Flash Heal, only on Surge of Light procs (or chimareon, to top a dps before a massacre).

Serenity: Either on CD (when healing is needed) because it is our most effective heal, or save it for before a Greater Heal for the extra crit chance.

Greater Heal: Bread and Butter of tank healing. If the tank needs health use this.

Heal: Only used to refresh a renew if the tank does not need more health. (also to start a heal chakra obviously)

Renew: Only used on a target you will refresh it with a direct heal on.

Prayer of Healing: Bread and butter AoE spell.

Circle of Healing: AoE healing during movement, Burst AoE after a PoH (careful when using this. CoH IS a HPS loss, but can save dps if a tick is comming soon, and they are going to be too low with just one PoH.

Can't really think of anything else to add. If you have any questions, hit me up. Else gl to ya

AoE ground effect: Preemptive healing. If healing is needed now, skip this and use PoH instead

Speaking of which reminds me, Make sure you are using your mana cooldowns as soon as your mana pool can fit them. Alot of players atm with mana issues are waiting to be OOM before using such cooldowns. This is a mistake, and leads less mana per fight. Typically i use Core of Ripeness as soon as i'm missing 15k~ mana, and Shadowfiend as soon as i'm missing 25k~ mana.

Glyphs: I'd drop Glyph of Guardian Spirit for Glyph of Lightwell. (5 charges = a bit more then 100k healing when used)

Spirit is good, regen looks good, your better geared than i am, it also depends on the fight you won't beat a holy paladin, but you should beat a Resto, but it also depends, if your assigned to tank healing, poh is where you would beat them.

If your going to reforge you could reforge to haste, but tbh your regen and haste seems pretty good atm, i would gem 20 int / haste for orange 10 int spirit for blue and 40 int for red.

What i do is reforge any crit to haste, but my haste is pretty low otherwise it looks like your gear/stats are fine, you should'nt really go oom.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ðuracell View Post
    I'm currently healing 10 man content with a resto druid and a holy paladin, and they ALWAYS beat the living crap out of me on healing.

I've been having mana issues lately so i've decided to reforge/gem/whatever more towards regen. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to reforge some mastery into haste/spirit, and if not, then should I focus more on mastery for 10 man healing?

TL;DR - I'm bad, help me out. Sorry for the small wall of text.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ohtee/advanced <my priest - also in sig

---------- Post added 2011-01-24 at 11:46 PM ----------

wtb help please
    Your gear is saying otherwise with having mana issues. To start off with, resto druid, holy paladin will generally top the healing depending on what fight it is ( 10-man ). AoE is where holy priests shine the most so don't really worry about the healing meters. As well it's about how effective you are yourself by using the right spells at the given time.

For 10-man content I'd say that Mastery comes to a waste since it's less people to keep up and you pretty much want them up before that next burst damage hits your raid. In 25man you got time to throw PoH on 1st group then onwards 2nd and the Echoe of Light will have ticked off, in 10-man you mostly overwrite your Echoe of Light due to less people. And in this case I find it easier to stick with haste to throw Greater heal + Holy Word. Since the Greater Heal tick will give more potency in 10man.

As for mana, do you use Shadow fiend and Hymn of hope ? I usually pop Hymn of Hope at 40% mana. Shadowfiend along with hymn is a great resource of regen in case you time your mana right. Especially shadowfiend during Bloodlust will give plenty of mana back. Don't be afraid to use your mana cooldowns when it's need for it. and if it's a 5+min fight, use 'em early. You'll be able to use them x2 times.

Note: this depends on what fight it is

Overall I see no actual issues of what your problem would be, I guess you'll just need to practice in dungeons to find out what heal to use at given time. Since predicting and timing is the key to successful healing in cataclysm.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, just stop trying to beat people on meters. It will cause you to heal inefficiently and go oom faster and you will still be lower than them on meters. Then when 4.0.6 drops your regen will suffer even more, you can't afford to play that way. You beating them on meters simply means you want them to over heal more than you, and that doesn't really make you any better and it's not helping your raid.

If you really want to improve your heal o meter epeen then learn to start casting PoH before the damage spike so that your heal lands first. Time it wrong though and it's a big over heal waste. When the raid is low on health pop Divine Hymn, if you end a fight without using it then you didn't heal for as much as you could have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxpowr View Post
    Whoever said you don't have enough haste is freakin crazy.
    If he doesn't have a 5% raid haste buff then he needs more haste. The magic number is 12.5% to get the 5th tick from renew not to mention the fact that more haste helps your PoH casts which, if you're raid healing, should be your number one spell. You shouldn't gem mastery until you have the 12.5% haste taken care of. Remember, the character sheet doesn't show haste gained from buffs/talents, only from gear.

All that being said, there is no 100% perfect way to spec/gear/gem right now and that is how Blizz wanted it to be. You just have to figure out what works for you in your situation.

I've got a elemental shaman totem And after switching to a rather odd spec and re-reforging everything for my raid last night, i've found that I did a lot better. I had more mana, could heal more, but I still have uber trouble going into p3 nef. I'm lucky to come out of p2 with 20k mana and my mana hymn

"Scientists explore what is; engineers create what has not been." -Theodore Von Karman

Whats your Overheal look like? You might just be being out played Plus you might be managing your mana CD's wrong as well

Also you have low mastery for a Holy Priest, Mastery is pretty damn good, I cry when I people reforge all their mastery into haste (oh but the top pries are doing it! There's a difference, they're healing Heroics and need the through put)

My overhealing is extremely low compared to the other two healers.

A few comments. First, IMO, your Mastery/Haste balance is way out of balance. Yes, Haste is a superior throughput stat, but it only boosts HPS. Mastery also boosts your HPM, so it's helpful if you're having mana issues. I also personally feel like I get better results when I have them somewhat close to eachother rather than far apart. Personally, I favor Mastery, so I have that higher than Haste, but I still try not to have it worse than a 60/40 balance.

Second, your gear is definitely fine for the content you're doing, so it leads me to believe your spell selection is probably somewhat poor. If you can post a WoL parse, we may be able to take a look and help you figure out what you might be doing wrong.

Also, why are you still using 333 pants? The 346 ones you can get with Justice Points, which I'd assume you have plenty of based on your gear, should be a direct upgrade.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/tzuplnu1eix6c8o1/ there's the parse from my nef attempts last night. I'm healing the nef tank in p1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ðuracell View Post
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/tzuplnu1eix6c8o1/ there's the parse from my nef attempts last night. I'm healing the nef tank in p1.
    30.8% of your Paladin's Beacon of Light is overheal! Granted, I know his raid heals probably also went to the tanks to account for the big OH, but 24.6% Rejuvenation, 29.3% Lifebloom, 26.5% Wild Growth from your group's druid is also overheal. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the "Healing Done" and instead look at the overhealing (ie: probable waste of mana). You may be doing everything right and they could be doing things wrong.

BTW, nice gear.

Forgot to ask, are you using any kind of healing add-ons such as Grid/Clique or Healbot? Raid frame mod?
    Last edited by Aceso Jenkins; 2011-01-25 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Question
    Disc/Shadow Priest

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/103160992-4.jpg that picture is quite old, but I still run the same basic setup. no clique.
    Last edited by Ðuracell; 2011-01-25 at 10:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by martiz View Post
    Your gear is saying otherwise with having mana issues. To start off with, resto druid, holy paladin will generally top the healing depending on what fight it is ( 10-man ). AoE is where holy priests shine the most so don't really worry about the healing meters. As well it's about how effective you are yourself by using the right spells at the given time.

For 10-man content I'd say that Mastery comes to a waste since it's less people to keep up and you pretty much want them up before that next burst damage hits your raid. In 25man you got time to throw PoH on 1st group then onwards 2nd and the Echoe of Light will have ticked off, in 10-man you mostly overwrite your Echoe of Light due to less people. And in this case I find it easier to stick with haste to throw Greater heal + Holy Word. Since the Greater Heal tick will give more potency in 10man.

As for mana, do you use Shadow fiend and Hymn of hope ? I usually pop Hymn of Hope at 40% mana. Shadowfiend along with hymn is a great resource of regen in case you time your mana right. Especially shadowfiend during Bloodlust will give plenty of mana back. Don't be afraid to use your mana cooldowns when it's need for it. and if it's a 5+min fight, use 'em early. You'll be able to use them x2 times.

Note: this depends on what fight it is

Overall I see no actual issues of what your problem would be, I guess you'll just need to practice in dungeons to find out what heal to use at given time. Since predicting and timing is the key to successful healing in cataclysm.
    You do know that Echo of Light stacks? Try casting one heal, check how much the echo of light is healing for, then cast 2 heals right after each other and check the difference. You can keep stacking echo of light till you catch your own tail (so to speak) at which point the heals even out.

I've gone back to all mastery pretty much. Still over 13% haste, and back up to 14.73 (1207 rating, 18%) mastery.

Deleted
    excuse the stupid question....

but currently you have 9,74 % haste + 1% talented + 5% from totem. or am i wrong?

Deleted
    if you are going oom its a stupid advice to go for more haste. You should have spirit on every item, so no need to reforge for it. If there are items with no spirit, totally go for reforging into spirit. After intel, spirit is our best stat. The haste plateau for 5 renew ticks is 12.5%, if you are specced for darkness 9.5% haste is a good place to stop at this gear level. Mastery makes you more efficient without spending more mana, while haste gives you more throughput but will burn your mana more. If you have mana issues, after hitting the above mentioned plateau(or ever below if you have more haste buffers in grp like shadow priests) go for more mastery. Reforge all crit into spirit/mastery.

About the meters, it doesnt really matter. The raid healer will always beat the tank healer on aoe focused fights, and so on. As long as you get the job done, stop worrying about epeen. Enjoy playing the priest, it's back to being the versatile healer that we loved before wotlk.

ps. martiz, echo of light doesnt overwrite my man, it stacks. You are confusing it with the glyph for poh, which indeed will override the 2nd tick if you poh twice on the same group, hence why you want to poh 2 different grps, so the glyph ticks dont overlap.