Page 1 of 2
LastLast

MMO Options for Mac users very limited

So lately an awful lot of threads have been popping up on the topic of switching games. In a lot of ways I feel similar. I need a change of scenery (somehow Cata wasn't enough for me).

Ive been playing WoW for years and I think I'd like to see what the competition is like in the MMO industry. The only other MMO I've played would be runescape (yuck!) at least 5 years ago. I see a lot of games I would love to try but I'm out of luck.

I run on an iMac. I wont Bootcamp either, the idea doesn't appeal to me. I dealt with microsoft for long enough and had enough problems. Not enough MMO's support Macs. Apple seems to be taking over a large chunk of the population (no proof just what I see around me) and I'm surprised at how small a portion of the MMO industry has supported them. Games like DC Universe run on an engine that Mac supports, yet the game has no Mac Client. SWTOR doesnt seem to be supported for Macs either.

I had so many reasons for switching to Mac and I definitely don't regret it. I just wish blizzard wasn't the only (major) supporter. Does anybody know any other Major MMO's (fairly recent) that have a Mac client?

If you don't mind the scenery changed to the depths of space, there is EVE Online.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Google "mmorpg on mac" and click the link to the list on mmorpg.com.
    Sorry I have to ask you to google something, but I'm so new to posting here, that I can't post links at all.

I play on a mac aswell, and I would also love if swtor would be released for mac, but I know it wont.
    I just take a brake from wow, when real life requires it, which can be for months. This keeps the game a bit more fresh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosen View Post
    Google "mmorpg on mac" and click the link to the list on mmorpg.com.
    Sorry I have to ask you to google something, but I'm so new to posting here, that I can't post links at all.

I play on a mac aswell, and I would also love if swtor would be released for mac, but I know it wont.
    I just take a brake from wow, when real life requires it, which can be for months. This keeps the game a bit more fresh

Here you go, http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/mac

Pro tip: You're wasting your time being trendy.
    Windows 7 is amazing.
    RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE

Quote Originally Posted by Zettler View Post
    So lately an awful lot of threads have been popping up on the topic of switching games. In a lot of ways I feel similar. I need a change of scenery (somehow Cata wasn't enough for me).

Ive been playing WoW for years and I think I'd like to see what the competition is like in the MMO industry. The only other MMO I've played would be runescape (yuck!) at least 5 years ago. I see a lot of games I would love to try but I'm out of luck.

I run on an iMac. I wont Bootcamp either, the idea doesn't appeal to me. I dealt with microsoft for long enough and had enough problems. Not enough MMO's support Macs. Apple seems to be taking over a large chunk of the population (no proof just what I see around me) and I'm surprised at how small a portion of the MMO industry has supported them. Games like DC Universe run on an engine that Mac supports, yet the game has no Mac Client. SWTOR doesnt seem to be supported for Macs either.

I had so many reasons for switching to Mac and I definitely don't regret it. I just wish blizzard wasn't the only (major) supporter. Does anybody know any other Major MMO's (fairly recent) that have a Mac client?
    best solution:ditch your fisher price my first computer and get a windows based PC
    next best solution:bootcamp or you know since macs run windows now 2 OS and switch as needed
    Worst option:continue to play games on a license blocked to hell OS that less than 10% of all computer owners actually use

As much of a giant pain in the ass windows can be the sad fact of the matter most companies will not develop games for a OS with less than 10% market share or with absurd licensing fee's(which apple does both)hell with the right boot setup linux has better games support than mac and its the most bare minimum OS I have ever used.

or you know...you can always play minesweeper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinJgh View Post
    Pro tip: You're wasting your time being trendy.
    Windows 7 is amazing.
    Unnecessary post some people have Macs cause they like the OS not so they can be what you consider "trendy"

Windows 7 works... it's no where near amazing.

Anyway to the OP yes you are very limited on a Mac but you can always Bootcamp your machine if you find a game you like but it is Windows only.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by thediceman View Post
    best solution:ditch your fisher price my first computer and get a windows based PC
    next best solution:bootcamp or you know since macs run windows now 2 OS and switch as needed
    Worst option:continue to play games on a license blocked to hell OS that less than 10% of all computer owners actually use

As much of a giant pain in the ass windows can be the sad fact of the matter most companies will not develop games for a OS with less than 10% market share or with absurd licensing fee's(which apple does both)hell with the right boot setup linux has better games support than mac and its the most bare minimum OS I have ever used.

Yeah, because he asked for your opinion on macs.. I saw that aswell.. *sigh*

I'm not sitting here, saying Windows is a retarded OS or that having flashing blue lights and colored water cooling is like "AMAGAWD I'M GOSU", yet seriously nerdy.

Regarding the games being developed for mac. Blizzard has always been doing it, and EA and others are slowly coming along. More and more games are being released on steam for mac.

So why don't you go back to your cave and continue stuffing your case with bigger fans and flashing memory?

Deleted
    The other sad thing you have to remember about macs is that even the i macs are built on mobile motherboards, so preformance is never going to be spectacular. IMO Keep gaming and using macs seperate. I have a mac book pro pretty good spec but even boot camped that would struggle with most games, it runs wow fine which is aweomse but for games like Battlefield and other more high preformance games your better gaming away from apple. Thats just considering the model not even begin to be concerned about the OS because you can boot camp or parralel with an even bigger preformance drop....

Deleted
    Sorry but if you're not willing to expand your horizons and use other platforms (read: Windows) then your options for games will ALWAYS be limited.

MMOs will target the largest audience possible with the least expense possible - that platform is the Windows OS on the PC. Although I cannot deny they are getting more popular, mac users are still the minority, and they are still mostly used for professional/business purposes (Audio/Image editing) than for gaming.

The MASSIVE price difference between a mac and PC just cant be justified and i dont understand why people choose to spend so much on something with less power than a PC

I agree. After 1.5 years of using a Mac because school forced me to, I've learned that they're terrible... I have 2gb of RAM and it's the equivalent of 256mb of RAM on a windows computer... And the Mac with 2gb of RAM usually costs 3 times as much as the Windows with 2gb of RAM. Sam bought a Mac and loves it. It looks so cool too! So white or metallic. It definitely must be amazing even though it's expensive as hell.

Proof:
    Word takes 3 minutes to open.
    WoW even lags in Heroics or small battlegrounds sometimes. (not normal lag but screen freeze and unfreeze lag)
    Startup takes 5 minutes
    The harddrive failed twice in one year although i take good care of it.
    The list goes on and on...

Get a Windows. I did as well.

Or you can get Parallels.
    Last edited by skyrem; 2011-01-25 at 09:00 AM.

Deleted
    media.riemurasia.net/albumit/mmedia/vc/d6b/pdy6/170575/772592110.jpg

Thought this fits here perfectly...
    In english:
    Superman: I bought a new pc
    Batman: What GPU it has?

S: Integrated.
    B: Is it a package pc?!?

S: Yea. A Mac.
    B: WHAT, MAC!?!?!

B: Enjoy your cancer, fag! Don't you come crying when none of the games work

Seriously, if you wanna game, go Windows and save yourself from the trouble.

15+ Year Old Account
    I ran wow for 4+ years on a mac mini. It was PPC so I was forced to upgrade to play cata. yeah I got a PC and I'm really happy I can play any game I want to. Also I got a machine that would beat a $2500 mac for under $1000. OSx really was amazing 8 years ago, or whenever it came out. and it still works great, but with 7 windows has honestly caught up.

I got into mac cause i wanted to get into pro audio. Yeah that didn't happen.

I still have two macs in my house, one is just a juke box in the kitchen. and my wife is seriously addicted to her iPhone, and i think its great streaming netflix on our tv with her phone. But if you want a gaming machine sorry pc or bootcamp.

www.ibuypowerpc.com
    www.cyberpowerpc.com
    www.newegg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Goosen View Post
    Yeah, because he asked for your opinion on macs.. I saw that aswell.. *sigh*

I'm not sitting here, saying Windows is a retarded OS or that having flashing blue lights and colored water cooling is like "AMAGAWD I'M GOSU", yet seriously nerdy.

Regarding the games being developed for mac. Blizzard has always been doing it, and EA and others are slowly coming along. More and more games are being released on steam for mac.

So why don't you go back to your cave and continue stuffing your case with bigger fans and flashing memory?
    I am just being dead honest with you,if you want to stick with Macs exclusively be ready to pay out 3k easily for a machine that will bootcamp a pc game at a reasonable speed.gotta love that overpriced ergonomic garbage store called apple eh?

as for dev's supporting mac

Blizzard supports mac on most games across most platforms but has a terrible track record with breaking them entirely every other patch this goes double for diablo 2 and its expansion.EA typically kills mac support early with some games going months without a proper fix after a update.

If you want a gaming platform,get a pc hell you dont even need a expansive one , a last generation dual core with a gforce series 9 videocard will run 90% of the game on the market at respectable framerates.

Lasty....case fans...really?i wasnt under the impression i was running some kinda shitty P3 system that overheats more than a xbox.

If you want game compatibility bootcamp on a expensive mac or get a mid range pc for a 1/7th the price or you know continue to whine about how underpowered mac are on the forum , lord knows this place could use some livening up lately.

---------- Post added 2011-01-25 at 04:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skyrem View Post
    I agree. After 1.5 years of using a Mac because school forced me to, I've learned that they're terrible... I have 2gb of RAM and it's the equivalent of 256mb of RAM on a windows computer... And the Mac with 2gb of RAM usually costs 3 times as much as the Windows with 2gb of RAM. Sam bought a Mac and loves it. It looks so cool too! So white or metallic. It definitely must be amazing even though it's expensive as hell.

Proof:
    Word takes 3 minutes to open.
    WoW even lags in Heroics or small battlegrounds sometimes. (not normal lag but screen freeze and unfreeze lag)
    Startup takes 5 minutes
    The harddrive failed twice in one year although i take good care of it.
    The list goes on and on...

Get a Windows. I did as well.

Or you can get Parallels.
    i found a mac g5 dual core in the garbage at a local lawyers office still functional and it performs on par witha p4 system that only has 1 gb of ram...when the g5 is dual core ...and has 4 gb of ram AND a faster HD >>.

the cost of the pentium 4 new was like 340ish but the price of the g5 shitstorm was around 2k which was more than enough to make a pc that could run 5 copies of crysis and fist fight cthulu at the same time.

the cost of the pentium 4 new was like 340ish but the price of the g5 shitstorm was around 2k which was more than enough to make a pc that could run 5 copies of crysis and fist fight cthulu at the same time.
    you could buy 3 windows computers and multibox for 12 months and still pay less money than you would for a mac

And I'm pretty sure Rift won't be playable on the shitty Mac graphic cards. I have every single setting in WoW as low as possible.
    Last edited by skyrem; 2011-01-25 at 09:30 AM.

Deleted
    Wow, a lot of anti-mac flaming from the pro-Windows crowd here even though the examples are clearly either made up or proof that the people posting the examples don't really know what they're doing. I say this as a software dev who first started out messing around with electronics and programming in the 80s, I've run pretty much everything under the Sun (including but not limited to: IRIX, AIX, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Plan9, MS-DOS, PC-DOS, Minix, OS/2, Windows 3.x/NT4/95/98/2k/XP/Vista/2k3 Server/7, Mac OS 8/9/X). My current main workstation at home is, brace yourselves, a Mac. I like the fact that it's a complete UNIX workstation that's ready to go straight out of the box with both good simple GUI tools for most things as well as a comfortable and familiar UNIX environment underneath. But hey, clearly all that matters is a large selection of games and the most performance per dollar...

Anyway, to stay on-topic, most game developers still consider the Mac game market too small to be worth the investment. This is especially true for games that only support DirectX for graphics, sound and other IO. Those using something like OpenGL and SDL are more likely to get ported since it requires less effort.

Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    Wow, a lot of anti-mac flaming from the pro-Windows crowd here even though the examples are clearly either made up or proof that the people posting the examples don't really know what they're doing. I say this as a software dev who first started out messing around with electronics and programming in the 80s, I've run pretty much everything under the Sun (including but not limited to: IRIX, AIX, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Plan9, MS-DOS, PC-DOS, Minix, OS/2, Windows 3.x/NT4/95/98/2k/XP/Vista/2k3 Server/7, Mac OS 8/9/X). My current main workstation at home is, brace yourselves, a Mac. I like the fact that it's a complete UNIX workstation that's ready to go straight out of the box with both good simple GUI tools for most things as well as a comfortable and familiar UNIX environment underneath. But hey, clearly all that matters is a large selection of games and the most performance per dollar...

Anyway, to stay on-topic, most game developers still consider the Mac game market too small to be worth the investment. This is especially true for games that only support DirectX for graphics, sound and other IO. Those using something like OpenGL and SDL are more likely to get ported since it requires less effort.
    What I want is a cheap computer with good performance and can do a lot of stuff. I don't need a complete UNIX workstation. And Macs do not have a good performance, can't do a lot of stuff, and are pretty expensive. Furthermore, there's barely any customization in a Mac.

Thanks but nty.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrem View Post
    you could buy 3 windows computers and multibox for 12 months and still pay less money than you would for a mac
    QFT. 10 frost mages /drool

OT: If you really want to play MMOs, buy a windows PC and save yourself the hassle. Really.

I have both my iMac and my windows 7 laptop, and I still prefer to use my iMac.

As someone said before, some people simply like the OS better. I always have, and ya, its more expensive, but I also have never ever had a virus. And I don't even have virus software. How many PC users can say the same?

Enough of the mac vs pc bullshit though, its always running circles around eachother. To each their own, IMO.

As far as mmos on a mac...checkout the link that someone posted on the 2nd or 3rd reply. Its a good list.

And I fully support your dislike for running bootcamp or a windows based program on your mac at all.