Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazleDazzle View Post
    I have both my iMac and my windows 7 laptop, and I still prefer to use my iMac.

As someone said before, some people simply like the OS better. I always have, and ya, its more expensive, but I also have never ever had a virus. And I don't even have virus software. How many PC users can say the same?

Enough of the mac vs pc bullshit though, its always running circles around eachother. To each their own, IMO.

As far as mmos on a mac...checkout the link that someone posted on the 2nd or 3rd reply. Its a good list.

And I fully support your dislike for running bootcamp or a windows based program on your mac at all.
    People who actually get viruses are either computer illiterate or are stupid as hell. I used a windows computer before I had to get a mac for school and I didn't have a virus protection program for about 3 years. I got a trojan once on my other windows computer but any free software can find that... I never had any virus, malware, spyware, etc problems. However, my Mac's harddrive failed twice in one year and I lost all my stuff. Also, for some reason, the cooling system somehow got removed from the CPU making my Mac always overheat.

Lastly, Apple tricks people into thinking they are safe with a warranty, but the warranty doesn't actually cover anything. My friend's screen broke INSIDE the glass. The pixels just died and deformed into streaks of color. He had the $150 warranty but apparently screen fixes aren't covered. At the same time, a different friend's dog made my Dell Windows computer fall off the table, and the warranty guaranteed help and 3 days later some guy came to my house, removed the broken screen, and gave me a brand new one. New screens for Macs cost around $700 from what my first friend told me. You could get a whole new Windows computer for half of that...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinJgh View Post
    Pro tip: You're wasting your time being trendy.
    Windows 7 is amazing.
    Does it also cause people like you to be shallow? Some of us prefer OS X, not to be trendy.
    And to the OP: you could try out EVE. It's really awesome actually. You can also try partitioning a small amount of GB's (enough for a few games) into a Windows partition and play games on there if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RyTelford View Post
    The other sad thing you have to remember about macs is that even the i macs are built on mobile motherboards, so preformance is never going to be spectacular. IMO Keep gaming and using macs seperate. I have a mac book pro pretty good spec but even boot camped that would struggle with most games, it runs wow fine which is aweomse but for games like Battlefield and other more high preformance games your better gaming away from apple. Thats just considering the model not even begin to be concerned about the OS because you can boot camp or parralel with an even bigger preformance drop....
    My iMac pretty much plays whatever you throw at it at the highest settings. I haven't played much games in the past year except WoW but I remember playing Crysis at extreme with no problems whatsoever.
    Last edited by Horrid Crow; 2011-01-25 at 09:53 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrem View Post
    What I want is a cheap computer with good performance and can do a lot of stuff. I don't need a complete UNIX workstation. And Macs do not have a good performance, can't do a lot of stuff, and are pretty expensive. Furthermore, there's barely any customization in a Mac.

Thanks but nty.
    Well, when comparing workstation-class machines (Multiple Xeon CPUs, ECC RAM and all that fancy stuff) the Mac Pro is pretty much priced the same as other offerings (and "no one" builds their own machine with hardware like that, they buy a complete machine nine times out of ten).

When it comes to the iMacs the only real weakness is the graphics (best you can get is Radeon HD 5750) but they do come with built-in 27" IPS monitor running at 2560x1440 (which will set you back at least $600 or so alone). Also, for the high-end 27" iMac you get a Quadcore Core i7 2.93GHz and up to 16 GiB of RAM (which won't cost you much if you buy 3rd party RAM). That should be plenty of performance for now for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    Does it also cause people like you to be shallow? Some of us prefer OS X, not to be trendy.
    And to the OP: you could try out EVE. It's really awesome actually. You can also try partitioning a small amount of GB's (enough for a few games) into a Windows partition and play games on there if needed.
    Why exactly do you guys like OS X? I've been using it for 1.5 years now and I despise it. Feel free to enlighten me.

@ everyone who are complaining about lack of games - you picked form over function, what did you expect? It must have been clear even on the day of the purchase that the game selection is scarce compared to PCs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinJgh View Post
    Pro tip: You're wasting your time being trendy.
    Windows 7 is amazing.
    Your wasting your time being trendy, hating on mac just like every other narrowminded windows user.
    Mac OS X is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why exactly do you guys like OS X? I've been using it for 1.5 years now and I despise it. Feel free to enlighten me.
    I think a better question would be; why don't you like it?
    Using something for 1.5 years while despising it? Care to explain?

Lying doesn't make an entire OS bad, btw.

Deleted
    Well, for starters there are these little points:
    • UNIX system
    • Free development tools (XCode)
    • Sleek GUI that doesn't make me want to stab my computer
    • Little need for customization or tweaking

In general it's a combination of features and familiarity (since it's basically a custom GUI and some other bits tacked on to a UNIX system). The general look and feel appeals a lot more to me than Windows (and no, all those "make Windows look like Mac OS X" tricks don't make your Windows machine as polished as OS X, and while not intending to insult Windows or those who like its look and feel to me it's like the old proverb about pigs and lipstick) and while I could (and have in the past) create a similarly comfortable environment on a Linux, *BSD or other *nix box it takes a lot more time and effort, not to mention that every time I make major software updates I can expect little things to break here and there which requires me to spend time fixing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    I think a better question would be; why don't you like it?
    Using something for 1.5 years while despising it? Care to explain?

Lying doesn't make an entire OS bad, btw.
    I have to use mine for my education. The Macs are supplied by the school and we can purchase them and they are all hooked up to the school server etc. I hate them.

• They're slow
    • run no games
    • take forever to open applications (see earlier post)
    • say they last 6 hours on full charge but actually last 2 hours with only finder open and the backlight dimmed to low
    • It failed twice in one year, wiping my harddrive
    • the cpu's cooling unit mysteriously broke free from the CPU causing it to randomly turn off every damn day to the point of me having to put an icepack on the bottom in order to stop it
    • noncustomizable
    • warranty is overpriced for the "keyboard malfunction" they fix (never fix any real problems; see post above)

Note: I'm on it right now, have been using it for 1.5 hours with chrome and skype open and it's already at 46% battery.

Now it's your turn. Explain why you love it so much.
    Last edited by skyrem; 2011-01-25 at 10:09 AM.

Deleted
    I have to use mine for my education. The Macs are supplied by the school and we can purchase them and they are all hooked up to the school server etc. I hate them.

• They're slow
    • run no games
    • say they last 6 hours on full charge but actually last 2 hours with only finder open and the backlight dimmed to low
    • the cpu's cooling unit mysteriously broke free from the CPU causing it to randomly turn off every damn day to the point of me having to put an icepack on the bottom in order to stop it
    • noncustomizable
    • warranty is overpriced for the "keyboard malfunction" they fix (never fix any real problems; see post above)

Note: I'm on it right now, have been using it for 1.5 hours with chrome and skype open and it's already at 46% battery.

Thats because your school has done something with them. And school servers tend to make any computer seem shit.
    Get your own and you wont have that kind of experience.
    Last edited by mmocbc524c578d; 2011-01-25 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockne View Post
    Thats because your school has done something with them.
    Get your own and you wont have that kind of experience.
    The school has a deal with Apple, allowing us to purchase them for cheaper and the school puts a lot of licensed software on them. That means we have Photoshop, Microsoft Office, a lot of other Adobe programs, iWork, Macromedia stuff, Screenflow, SMART stuff, etc. They also add a backup thing that backs our documents folder up on the school server. They do not mess with the computers to make them shitty, Apple already did that.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry

• They're slow
    • run no games
    • noncustomizable

Slow, takes forever to open apps, low battery? I've never seen any of those. My Mac Pro and MacBook Pro pretty much boots up alot quicker than any windows machine I've seen. Apps open super fast, especially on the Mac Pro because it runs 64 bit. Regarding the battery problem, I had a faulty battery in mine, when it came out of the box. Discovered this after 1 year, because the battery was starting to bulge out. When it did that, it had 1-2 hours of uptime fully charged. Called it in, got a new battery few days later and I have been using that for more than a year now. It still has 6-7 hours uptime, if I surf, chat, listen to music and play simple games.

I guess the reason to it, being slow at startup, is the school system you're talking about. Not OSX.

the cpu's cooling unit mysteriously broke free from the CPU causing it to randomly turn off every damn day to the point of me having to put an icepack on the bottom in order to stop it
    ... I'm guessing you manhandled it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    Nope, but there is a tendency for the echochamber of whining to spiral out of control, and so everyone involved thinks this is the worst thing ever.

Deleted
    Never understood the popularity of macs, but then again, each to his own i suppose.

What most of my friends does, that owns a mac, is simply to also install Windows on it and use that to run their games. For the best setup and availability of games, I believe that the best solution.

Good luck with it.

Deleted
    Flame war. Locking thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    Levva was apparently feeling generous by not handing out infractions. Considering Mac vs PC (or any brand vs brand) is one of my biggest pet peeves, I have now handed out multiple infractions. In the future, feel free to discuss the difference between Mac and Windows (even including why you like one or dislike the other!), but do so without hurling insults.