Thread: New Priest

New Priest

I have a good bit of experience healing raids as a resto druid and as a resto shaman. Soon I will have my priest to 85. I plan on going disc/holy for whether we need raid heals or tank heals.

Currently I am looking at http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bchZfu...do0b:Vzo0zRVzM for my holy (raid healing) spec.

For disc (tank healing) I am still debating either:

Heal http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhzrosbfRMochr:qmczrozVM
    AA http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfRorR...MZ0b:qcmdzrzVM

I think they both have some benefits. Adjusting certain secondary talents for Darkness if I feel the need.

I'm also not positive on stat priority for sharing gear between specs. However I have time to decide that later based on what we need most often.

Also I am mainly looking at the talent trees from a 4.0.6 perspective.

Any critique or advice?
    About EP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldriana
    With the usual caveats about these numbers being based on a specific set of gear which probably isn't what you're using, such that these answers will be approximately right but not exact
    Vanilla: 60 Shaman
    BC: 70 Rogue, 70 Druid
    Wrath: 80 Druid, 80 Paladin, 80 Shaman, 80 Rogue
    Cata: 85 Rogue (Holmés), 85 Priest (Naclwater)

I can start by saying that AA builds are pretty bad, in my personal opinion. I share others sentiment in that AA builds make you pull things out of talents that just give you more.

Your build, for example, misses out on -6% instant cast spell cost and surge of light. Surge of Light is getting a MAJOR buff next patch, and with the increased mana cost of PW:S, I cant see myself giving up the 6% cost reduction. (PoM, PW:S, PW:B....)

The holy build looks solid based on my VERY limited understanding of holy.

As for stats: Disc tank healing is different than disc raid healing is different than holy. So you'll really need 2 sets of gear if you're min/maxing for your specs. Holy stacks spirit for mana regen, but disc gets most of it's mana from rapture, so int is by far the superior stat. There are several guides here on MMO floating around the top that explain it all in MUCH greater detail than I ever could.

I play Holy, so I will only comment on that.

Your talent tree looks pretty good, but I may suggest pointing up Darkness over Veiled Shadows until you get your haste up. I use Renew a LOT (makes up 35-40% of my overall healing in instances and raids) so I would suggest pulling a point out of State of Mind and putting it in Rapid Renewal. Of course, it depends on your developed play style, too. I may also suggest getting Glyph of Fading (Minor) and Glyph of Fade (Major) instead of Glyph of Fortitude (Minor) and Glyph of Psychic Scream (Major). It is amazing to have Fading cheap and ready at all times for when adds spawn, tank can't hold aggro in PUGs, or to lose a player's pet in PVP. If you plan to do more PVP, then Glyph of Mass Dispell is the way to go, but I chose Inner Fire (Major) so I don't get insta-nuked in raids if I am somewhere I'm not supposed to be or take some random damage; it is also very valuable for PVP purposes as well.
    Last edited by Aceso Jenkins; 2011-01-25 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Forgot some info!

Quote Originally Posted by Aceso Jenkins View Post
    I play Holy, so I will only comment on that.

Your talent tree looks pretty good, but I may suggest pointing up Darkness over Veiled Shadows until you get your haste up. I use Renew a LOT (makes up 35-40% of my overall healing in instances and raids) so I would suggest pulling a point out of State of Mind and putting it in Rapid Renewal. Of course, it depends on your developed play style, too. I may also suggest getting Glyph of Fading (Minor) and Glyph of Fade (Major) instead of Glyph of Fortitude (Minor) and Glyph of Psychic Scream (Major). It is amazing to have Fading cheap and ready at all times for when adds spawn, tank can't hold aggro in PUGs, or to lose a player's pet in PVP. If you plan to do more PVP, then Glyph of Mass Dispell is the way to go, but I chose Inner Fire (Major) so I don't get insta-nuked in raids if I am somewhere I'm not supposed to be or take some random damage; it is also very valuable for PVP purposes as well.
    As a holy priest, i do not agree with one statement said here. Personally i have dropped all possible renew talents as it is a waste to use it on targets you will not be using a heal chakra on. With the drop, i have picked up a lot of survivability, and throughput remains the same. Glyphing fade is an overall bad idea, Glyph of Fortitude is awesome for after rebirths, reduces the cost to near nothing and this will be lower come the patch. Currently i'm running this spec for holy.

www[dot]wowhead[dot]com/talent#bchZsurMRzrkfkoh:Vzo0odVzM (not letting me post urls, replace dot with . )

As for your disc spec, it seems a little off to me, Heal is hardly used at all in raids, and therefore Strength of Soul, and Surge of light are not really used.

www[dot]wowhead[dot]com/talent#bfhcMosbcRrochMZb:qcVodzMVz (not letting me post urls, replace dot with . ) Is what i would recommend for a standard fight disc spec.

Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    Currently i'm running this spec for holy.

www[dot]wowhead[dot]com/talent#bchZsurMRzrkfkoh:Vzo0odVzM (not letting me post urls, replace dot with . )
    Surely this must be your PVP spec? If not, why would you put talent points in Body and Soul and Blessed Resilience? I can't say that I've ever re-applied Fortitude during a PVE battle as it is too costly for just one person, even with the glyph.
    Disc/Shadow Priest

Surely this must be your PVP spec? If not, why would you put talent points in Body and Soul and Blessed Resilience? I can't say that I've ever re-applied Fortitude during a PVE battle as it is too costly for just one person, even with the glyph.

Body and soul gives the priest awesome utility. Most useful on Nefarian, and Atramedes. Also nice for getting out of the bad fire on most other fights.

Blessed Resilience is a huge survivabillity boost in pve content. After every AoE blast you'll take 30% more healing making sure YOU stay alive and can focus on the other targets. -- Most useful on fights like Chimaeron, Ascendant Council, Chogall. Omnitron for the flame beam.
    Last edited by hikamiro; 2011-01-25 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    Body and soul gives the priest awesome utility. Most useful on Nefarian, and Atramedes. Also nice for getting out of the bad fire on most other fights.

Blessed Resilience is a huge survivabillity boost in pve content. After every AoE blast you'll take 30% more healing making sure YOU stay alive and can focus on the other targets. -- Most useful on fights like Chimaeron, Ascendant Council, Chogall. Omnitron for the flame beam.
    Body and Soul would have its utility on certain fights, but I don't think you could ever convince me to chalk up a talent point to it. It's one of those debates where it could be useful on some fights, but the Renew talents are applicable 100% of the time! As for Blessed Resilience, it says that the priest would take "10% additional healing for 10 seconds" with both points stacked to it. Does the buff itself stack? If I find myself in a stick situation, I just throw out a Binding Heal and be done with it.
    Disc/Shadow Priest

as for the tank healing spec, i'd put those 2 pts out of soul warding into inner sanctum as you won't spam pw: s given the increased mana cost. as for glyphs, i may consider using the glyph of flash heal since we'll absolutely get more procs from surge of light with GH and FH included in trigger spells, not to mention that would help trigger DA on those who would need it most, too bad it doesn't trigger on people under 50% rather than 25% though, which is why i usually pick PoH for additionnal raid healing.

as for the holy build, depending on if you're the type to spam renew or not (i'm not), rapid renewal may be optionnal.
    you could also drop a point if state of mind (or both) as chakra states will have 1mn duration with 30s cd on chakra, i've found blessed resilience being of quite some help as a lot of things in raids take out more than 10% of your health pool, this allows you to recover faster or with less healing than it would without it.

---------- Post added 2011-01-25 at 08:27 PM ----------

Body and Soul would have its utility on certain fights, but I don't think you could ever convince me to chalk up a talent point to it. It's one of those debates where it could be useful on some fights, but the Renew talents are applicable 100% of the time! As for Blessed Resilience, it says that the priest would take "10% additional healing for 10 seconds" with both points stacked to it. Does the buff itself stack? If I find myself in a stick situation, I just throw out a Binding Heal and be done with it.
    it's been said for quite some time now that blessed resilience has been hotfixed but tooltip text wasn't updated. blessed resilience gives 15/30% additionnal healing after taking a hit that took out more than 10% of your health pool.

renew talents are applicable 100% of the time, sure is, but not all people spam renew, and Divine Touch barely heals for a mere 2k, better put those 2 points in darkness if that allows you to get the 5th renew tick which would usually mean 3-4k additionnal healing on renew.

About body and soul vs renew -- I find renew to be one of our least effecient spells even with the talents. in most situations i never even cast it, with the high mana cost, and overall low healing -- high chance at overhealing, also it doesn't scale with our mastery (and i stack the hell out of mastery). Not worth it in my opinion, i'd rather take utility on multiple fights.

As for blessed resilliance - at some point it was buffed to 30% and the tooltip was never changed. I think it was the same time that Holy Concentration was buffed to 40%

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes
    it's been said for quite some time now that blessed resilience has been hotfixed but tooltip text wasn't updated. blessed resilience gives 15/30% additionnal healing after taking a hit that took out more than 10% of your health pool.
    Amazing, glad I learned something today!

Thanks to the both of you. That being said, I would revise my current spec to something like this when 4.0.6 goes live.
    Last edited by Aceso Jenkins; 2011-01-25 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Thanks!
    Disc/Shadow Priest

As a priest, in my opinion if you don't take body and soul or spirit of redemption then you may as well just not take lightwell or spec yourself at all. I can't count how many times that 60% movement speed/unlimited heals for 12 seconds (SoR) has saved both myself and my raid. ie: Al'Akir P 1&2, body and soul does wonders, if I can tell that someone else won't make the gap. Atramedes during Sonic Breath, from what i've been able to tell if they don't get a movement speed increase they have a very good chance of falling over. For SoR, i'm pretty sure this is what secured our Ascendant Council 1st kill, for those who have done it the last phase of that fight gets VERY hectic VERY fast. I can think of a ton more examples but I just woke up and am too lazy, point is BaS/SoR = Lifesavers. Ask any tank. Ever wonder why the best tanking weapon enchant includes a proc movement speed bonus?

Edit: I was a new priest this expansion as well, both my 80 and 85 achievements are listed for the same day lol. Anyways I would advise just to play around with your talent tree and figure out what works best for you and what fits your play-style.
    Last edited by Crunkosaurus; 2011-01-25 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    as for the tank healing spec, i'd put those 2 pts out of soul warding into inner sanctum as you won't spam pw: s given the increased mana cost

you could also drop a point if state of mind (or both)

i've found blessed resilience being of quite some help as a lot of things in raids take out more than 10% of your health pool, this allows you to recover faster or with less healing than it would without it.[COLOR="red"]
    1) I think I will just have to test viability of soul warding once the patch comes out. The HPM of shield is actually very good.

2) I completely forgot that it'd be a good idea to do that. Thanks for reminding me.

3) I'll definately look into it.
    About EP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldriana
    With the usual caveats about these numbers being based on a specific set of gear which probably isn't what you're using, such that these answers will be approximately right but not exact
    Vanilla: 60 Shaman
    BC: 70 Rogue, 70 Druid
    Wrath: 80 Druid, 80 Paladin, 80 Shaman, 80 Rogue
    Cata: 85 Rogue (Holmés), 85 Priest (Naclwater)