Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    After you die, you're dead. There is no after. The rest of the universe keeps spinning without you while worms feed on your corpse. I think it was XKCD that explained it so eloquently with lego blocks, but I don't have the link.
    Grasping for immortality in any abstract theory or irrational belief just takes away from the life you have now. Life may be common, but it is no less valuable for it.
    ^this, kinda.

with that said though, you dont have to be religious (or irrational) to be curious about or believe in an afterlife. science has offered explanations for the mechanical origins of the universe but as far as i know there ar no accepted scientific views on the origin (and ultimate purpose) of consciousness. yes, our bodies will rot when we die. but perhaps our consciousness is not bound to our bodies? maybe our mental energy transcends or disperses somewhere when we "die"?

i like to think we "return to the source" when we die. ashes to ashes, dust to dust. our physical bodies decay and break down into the raw building materials of life, maybe our spirit/soul (aka mind, consciousness) also returns to some kind of eternal primordial oneness? and maybe that "place" is "heaven" (so to speak).

"What happens after you die?"

There is a very simple answer for this, although the explanation for the answer can be very complex based on fact that believed ideals affects the actual answer, despite the real truth of the underlying answer is still there.

Despite any and all beliefs of what the answer is, there is no disputing that my answer for this question is by far the most honest, and most pure and most true.

This can be argued by religious and ethnic beliefs from many places, but the underlying point of all those beliefs is that they are told and expressed by people, who regardless of any position they hold are simply people.

and now for your answer;

No one knows.

People can claim to know, but no one truly does, and you or I or anyone won't know until it happens. Again this can be argued by religion and such, but again it is told by people who can be wrong, lie, be misinformed, mislead and any number of different things to influences beliefs that they have no possible idea of knowing it is true or not, only believing because someone else instructs them to do so. That element alone fills the concept with uncertainty only to lead back to my answer...

No One Knows.
    "I heard Shadowmourne procs naked ladies..."
    The rapture took my paladin - May 21, 2011
    In a recent online survey, 100% of the population uses the internet.

With advanced technology... there may come a day when we will be able to stop aging or atleast slow aging where people live forever/longer. How would you explain death after that? How does that effect the universe?

Well, I take the view that people build the universe around them (cba to explain more :P). Essentially, due to this, I would state that the universe ends.

What happens? Everything keeps going without you, that's what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Chowderman View Post

There is a very simple answer for this, although the explanation for the answer can be very complex based on fact that believed ideals affects the actual answer, despite the real truth of the underlying answer is still there.

Despite any and all beliefs of what the answer is, there is no disputing that my answer for this question is by far the most honest, and most pure and most true.

This can be argued by religious and ethnic beliefs from many places, but the underlying point of all those beliefs is that they are told and expressed by people, who regardless of any position they hold are simply people.

and now for your answer;

No one knows.

People can claim to know, but no one truly does, and you or I or anyone won't know until it happens. Again this can be argued by religion and such, but again it is told by people who can be wrong, lie, be misinformed, mislead and any number of different things to influences beliefs that they have no possible idea of knowing it is true or not, only believing because someone else instructs them to do so. That element alone fills the concept with uncertainty only to lead back to my answer...

No One Knows.
    If you claim to know that "No one knows." you are claiming that you know what every knows because if you know what they know you know that no one has the answer, therefore you are claiming you know the collective knowledge of the entire planet. Just because someone can't 'prove' how they know an answer it doesn't mean it is incorrect. To claim that not a single person knows the answer would require the proof to show that they are indeed wrong. Innocent until proven guilty, correct until proven otherwise.
    Experiements conducted where a cat was placed in a box and at a random time toxic chemicals could be sprayed inside to kill the cat. The only way to know whether the cat was alive or dead was the look inside the box. The scientist had to assume that the cat was both dead and alive at the same time. Though i will agree that someone claiming a 'fact' requires proof because the definition of a fact is that it can be proven. This does not stop someone knowing the answer. To say know one knows is to be ignorant, and unwilling to accept ideas. Possibly someone who shuns religion.

In simple terms. You're actually wrong (at least in your definition). Who even says there is THE answer. Not everyone lives the same lives why would death be any different? I don't claim i know what happens after death, but i'm not going to claim no person has come up with the answer. And for the billions of people who died before us, they know. I understand i'm nit picky about your wording.
    If you simply said no one has an answer that can be backed up by proof, i have no qualms. People used to think the world was flat, they weren't wrong till they were proven they were (think about it). Ensteins theory of relativity, For one person moving at the speed of light time is ticking same rate as it always was, for the person on earth it is to. Too bad 1month moving that speed you come back few years later relative to person on the earth (i'm not exactly sure how long).
    Last edited by Hombo; 2011-01-25 at 08:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as you're concerned, the entire Universe and everything in it ceases to exist.

So you could say that the entire Universe and everything in it was created just for you and your short period of existence.

10+ Year Old Account
    My opinion is that when you die, it is like being asleep forever (without the dreams). You just die, your body has been destroyed in some way and there is nothing, you feel nothing, see nothing, you are gone from existence. There is no hell or heaven or afterlife at all. I firmly believe in science and an afterlife is physically not possible. (When I say science, I do not mean scientology). So that is my OPINION and I am sticking to it.
    Last edited by Yosef1015; 2011-01-25 at 11:39 PM.

Theory that I heard which I find really interesting and somewhat believable is everyone's heard of people having near death experiences and they say their life flashes before their eyes. People that have been in car crashes and other accidents have seen everything almost slow down to a halt. So the theory is that when you die or rather get close to death, you experience time slow right down and instead of life flashing before your eyes it unravels again and you relive it in real time. It explains things like dejavu and premintions and stuff. I'm not totaly sold on it but I'm sure there's something on the other side. Atleast I hope so.
    STFU and kill shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Azranas View Post
    Theory that I heard which I find really interesting and somewhat believable is everyone's heard of people having near death experiences and they say their life flashes before their eyes. People that have been in car crashes and other accidents have seen everything almost slow down to a halt. So the theory is that when you die or rather get close to death, you experience time slow right down and instead of life flashing before your eyes it unravels again and you relive it in real time. It explains things like dejavu and premintions and stuff. I'm not totaly sold on it but I'm sure there's something on the other side. Atleast I hope so.
    those people are just dumb. An individual can flat line but that doesn't mean that their brain is not operating on some level. So if their brain is still functioning, then that could be a valid reason why they see a white light or expereince some bizarre form of "afterlife"

that multiple parallel universes thing is interesting, but doesn't seem backed enough by science for me to take it seriously yet.

I'm sticking to the christian afterlife theory. it's an odd post-mortum outcome, but it's part of the "being a christian" package deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    the multi universe theory is flawed . There are 6 billion people on earth,not including the planets and other organsims, there wouldnt be enough space for that million universes. let me explain. There would have to be a universe for every human x the many situations they would live,
    like become a cop , die in a car crash, become presidant,Survive aids. or Mars blowing up, life cerupting from mars ,
    There are so many scenarios that its impossible. i my self probably have acouple thousand universes just for what could happen.
    I could be a gorilla flame python juggernaut who happens to rule the area that happens to be the pacific ocean, because in this universe the continental crust moved in that general area.

Also when i die i , i meet a soul reaper named rukia and she gives me her powers and i become a soul reaper and kill hollows and become powerful...owait...
    thats just my Bleach universe talking...
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2011-01-26 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Lulz

Deleted
    I hope it's the same as sleeping, since sleeping is the best thing ever.

I don't know if there's anything that anyone could call a god, but something that's for sure is that everything circles around. Perhaps the same happens with us. I'd like to believe in karma and rebirth, but then again I really don't feel the need to. If I die I die. I don't hope to get into some better or worse place, I just hope I will not exist anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowderman View Post

No One Knows.
    If someone or something did know, though, would you want to know? >.<

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    If someone or something did know, though, would you want to know? >.<
    Yes, I would infact want to know. 'cause knowing about stuff usually lets you accept them easier. ^^
    Don't try to fix what's not broken~

you will see a bar with a timer saying AOE rez like the quartz's one druing the bgs

speaking seriously i dont know, the line between rationality and irrationality about the afterlife is really thin, and you don't know what happens until you die :P wanna try and tell us? hahha
    Last edited by Cursedfate; 2011-01-26 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    I hope you brought your wallet... 'cause the rent in Hell gets paid in advance!
    LOL!! how do i place this in my signature area of my profile??

On topic: If you're religious and you die then you wait til judgment day to be judged by god, and if you're not religious then you just die. Simple!

I'd suggest you reading books "Eagle's Gift", "The Art of Dreaming" and others by C. Castaneda, there're some good hints about it.

When you read them at first, you'll definitely think it's total bullshit, and the author is crazy, but with some practice(and I'm NOT talking about using psychoactive drugs, that many narrow-minded people assosiate with these books) lots of things become clear.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Mastergp View Post
    LOL!! how do i place this in my signature area of my profile??

On topic: If you're religious and you die then you wait til judgment day to be judged by god, and if you're not religious then you just die. Simple!
    It doesn't work like that lol. Everyone dies the same. You do not have different experience because of your belief.. In that case, I would chose to believe I will return as a force ghost and guide people on their way to becoming a jedi.

Deleted
    You cease from existence.
    That's it, -THE END-.