Tips for a new Holy Priest

Hi there, recently I switched my shadow spec to holy to accompany my cherished disc spec; the only problem is I really don't know much about healing as Holy. So I come to you guys asking for tips and pointers that help you.

I'm looking for the tips that help you to heal when you figured something out, rather then the "don't spam bubble" tip.

An example of what I mean is how when I realized I used Greater Heal a lot, therefore reducing my Inner Focus by 5 seconds each cast, saving me tons of mana and ultimately making my healing career easier.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I still will appreciate any tips even if you aren't sure it fits my criteria, I could still be something I didn't know. o.O
    Last edited by Cyzen; 2011-01-25 at 10:14 PM.

I was in the same boat brother. Basically the only way you can really transition is know some basics and just play it and get used to it tbh.
    Heal is your filler spell, when your not casting/reapplying something, your casting this. It's mana cost is so low that if your combat regen is decent you will actually regen. Chakra should be up all the time, I recommend hotkeying it to something easy to push and relatively close to your movement keys so that you can quickly reapply/switch your Chakra stance. Prayer of Mending is possibly the most efficient and easy to use healing spell in the game, this should be used on cooldown to either the tank or someone taking alot of damage. Prayer of Healing is probably the most powerful AoE healing spell in the game right now, while it's mana cost isn't rediculous, spamming it will oom you no matter what gear you have on. Only use this when your party/raid is taking AoE damage, usually heavier but it can work in light aoe situations as well. Circle of Healing the way i see it is a raid stabilizer/patch heal, It's nice because it targets the 6 lowest health players in your party/raid (if glyphed, which it should be if you are raiding) I tend to use this on cooldown while raiding, only of course if I can see atleast 6 people below 100% which is quite often. I tend to only use renew on the tanks and do my best to keep it on them to help the tank healers, holy priests in this expansion are generally raid healers so we are in PoH Chakra close to 100% of the time, so that 15% extra to renew ticks is quite nice. Power word: shield is really obsolete for a holy priest, with the exception of if you decided to take body and soul (which i highly recommend) it has saved both myself and my raid on plenty of occasions. Flash heal is primarily only used when people need to be healed quickly because it will run you dry very quickly, make sure to take advantage of Serendipity whenever you use flash heal. In the end, practice makes perfect.

Here's some main spells to keybind and what keys I have them bound on to give you an idea of what you might try, I think keybinds like these make holy priest gameplay flow alot better:
    Chakra (Bound to T)
    Prayer of Mending (Bound to R) (This makes it extremely easy to combine T + R in the same GCD to reapply PoH Chakra)
    Lightwell (Modifier CTRL + Right Mouse-click) (Easy mobility for your mouse hand to place a Lightwell during combat)
    Leap of Faith (Modifier Shift + Left Mouse-click) (Ability to react very quickly in situations where this spell is useful)
    Guardian Spirit (Modifier Shift + 3) (When this spell is needed you need to be able to use it very quickly)
    Holy Word (Mouse scroll-wheel click) (Easy to place holy word: sanctuary, and easy to cast holy word: serenity)

Here's some talent tree's that I have either used myself, or taken from a reliable website (EJ forums, high-end guild forums)

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bcbZfhrRRzrkckohb - Currently the spec i'm using
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bchZfurRRzrkckoh - Another variant, i'm not a fan of desperate prayer but when it gets a major buff in the patch when it hit's i'll probably include it.

Bottom line, play with your spec to fit your play-style or raidcomp.

If you still have any questions, Aliena from Tankspot made an amazing guide for holy priests. Here's the link:
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...t-Guide-(4.0.3)

Hope I helped!