10+ Year Old Account

Ready to tank heroics?

I've been tanking randoms (normals) for a while, and there are still instances where I feel quite squishy. I don't know if this is caused by the healer, my lack of gear, or not CCing enough. In normals I don't regularly CC unless the healer is really bad. Then I got to thinking that maybe it isn't the healer being bad, and that maybe it was me. So I decided I'd get help from the warrior community. I feel confident of my abilities as a tank when it comes to boss mechanics and CC. I've done all the dungeons on heroic on my warlock countless times.

My warriors armory link is: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...glion/advanced

I am aware of my current flaws and will be fixing them as soon as I get off work and can log in. These are the flaws I know of:
    -Missing enchants, i just don't want to put enchants on things that are going to be replaced as soon as I get the heroic version.
    -Missing 2 glyph spots; I just need to buy Glyph of Revenge and Commanding Shout, not hard I know I just haven't gone to the AH.
    -PvP Shoulders. They were just about 100x better than my 319 green shoulders.
    -Gems in the legs. I just got them before I had to log out and didn't have time to get them gemmed.
    -Reforging the crit on my belt to something more useful.

Some other questions I have:
    1. If you're a healer and you queued into a heroic and saw the warrior in my armory, would you be worried about finishing the dungeon?
    2. What trinkets and ranged can I get before getting into a heroic? I know leaden despair is pretty good, obv the heroic one is way better, but my green ilvl 318 trinket and ranged weapons bug me.
    3. What should my dodge/parry/block be at before comfortably tanking a heroic? As it is I have ~10% dodge, 12% parry, 40% block.
    Last edited by Agallochh; 2011-01-25 at 11:47 PM.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

No doubt

Expect to make HEAVY use of CC whenever you can, but you're definitely ready for heroics.
    I went into heroics with my war tank first week at about 335, when DPS was typically a lot lower and heals weren't as capable, and things went fine.

Ignore the "go go go" people, make a macro of what marks mean and tell people to wait for you to say "go".
    Mark mobs, get CC up, go tank, and you'll be fine.

Gear suggestion: You don't need hit and expertise; don't reforge FOR these, get rid of them for mastery (if none on the gear) else parry or dodge (and keep those roughly even).

About the gun: I'm still using the one you've got; you can get an engineering-crafted piece with a gemslot which is marginally better for a few thousand gold, or hold out for the 359 BoE gun (I picked one of those up cheap, but decided to triple my money on the AH instead of equipping it... but then, I'm not raiding lately).

Trinkets: The green trinket may be 318 but it's an awesome piece; keep it probably until you get the dodge trinket from heroic Throne of the Tides (and reforge a chunk of the dodge to mastery on that).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyggyr View Post
    Expect to make HEAVY use of CC whenever you can, but you're definitely ready for heroics.
    I went into heroics with my war tank first week at about 335, when DPS was typically a lot lower and heals weren't as capable, and things went fine.

Ignore the "go go go" people, make a macro of what marks mean and tell people to wait for you to say "go".
    Mark mobs, get CC up, go tank, and you'll be fine.

Gear suggestion: You don't need hit and expertise; don't reforge FOR these, get rid of them for mastery (if none on the gear) else parry or dodge (and keep those roughly even).

About the gun: I'm still using the one you've got; you can get an engineering-crafted piece with a gemslot which is marginally better for a few thousand gold, or hold out for the 359 BoE gun (I picked one of those up cheap, but decided to triple my money on the AH instead of equipping it... but then, I'm not raiding lately).

Trinkets: The green trinket may be 318 but it's an awesome piece; keep it probably until you get the dodge trinket from heroic Throne of the Tides (and reforge a chunk of the dodge to mastery on that).
    Thank you so much for the help. I'm going to give it a shot tonight. I was definitely going to use all the CC I have available to me. I see a few items that I have with hit/exp that I can reforge to Mastery, so I'll do that as well. Also leveling my own Engi for the helm + weapons. Thanks a bunch
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

be ready to deal with scrubs and stupid players who think they are leet..
    Healers are doing fine now ( most of the times). The problem nowadays are the DPS!!!
    whenever you wanna mark the CC targets they say gogogo no need cc dps are good, blah blah.. or there's always a stupid dps (specially DKs or Warriors) who doesn't wait for the tank to pull and aggro every single mob in the instance.
    It happened to me today. I entered the instance, said brb phone (usually do that to check player's gear and ilvl) when i came back they were already wipping on trash because stupid DPS aggroed patrol. Fortunately, i was able to fix everything and "save" them.
    Right after that, when i had finished marking the mobs for CC, the stupid DK ( who was actually a DPS) pulled the mobs and didn't wait for Healer and the mage that were drinking.
    I asked them if that was a fail group, because i usually like to mark and tell everybody what to do before I pull (I'm the tank). They said that CC wasn't needed because the DPS was good. Next trash mobs... WIPE. I rezed and teleported to SW and told them to kick me, cause i wasn't going to get the deserter flag.

first of all your HP is fine for heroics but your avoidance could be better.

Talents

first i suggest that you get rid of your Blood Craze talent and you impending victory talent they not worth the points for it in place of those points i would say get Deep Wounds from the 3 points you lost in blood craze and maybe the Cruelty talent in fury for Shield Slam Critical. i would also max out that hold the line talent 10% over 5% critical block chance. it's protection warrior bread and butter talent.

Gear

first of all your shoulders are awful i mean my god they are bad. PvP does not make good for PvE. i would suggest saving points for the 1600 justice point shoulders. plus your belt get rid of it you don't need crit get the mats and make the Hardened Elementium Belt for tanking the stats on it are much better. next hit and expertise are needed to be capped so don't worry about stat reforging for it. if your gear doesn't have mastery reforge a stat, preferably dodge, for mastery if it has mastery on it reforge for parry. also you gear needs to be enchanted 55 or 75 Stamina to chest will up your life enough and sense your engineer on your hands put the rocket launcher on it for early threat generation and pulling. also macro it to be used with your heroic throw. for bracers get the +50 dodge and feet get stamina + movement speed or +50 mastery either is fine.

Geming

first think of geming this easily if it's a blue slot Pure stamina if it's a red use the Defenders Demonseye gem if it's yellow use the Pussiant Dream Emerald. that easy you get more stamina plus the stat is is most important to tank warriors you'll get socket bonus's.

reforging recommendations

Head: Dodge -> Mastery
    Neck : Fine
    Shoulders: get new ones then reforge accordingly
    Back: Dodge -> Parry
    Chest: Dodge -> Mastery
    Bracers: Dodge -> Mastery
    Hands: Hit -> Mastery
    Belt: new belt then reforge accordingly
    Legs: Dodge -> Mastery
    Feet: Dodge -> Mastery
    Ring 1: Dodge -> Parry
    Ring 2: Fine
    Trinkets: Fine with what you have though i would suggest the trinket from 2nd boss in Grim Batol it's a good parry boosting trinket plus you gain another 6% dodge adding more you your avoidance every 60 seconds.

I am not saying your a bad tank so please don't take my criticism to heart these are just my opinions that will make you better and not get knocked around so much in heroics trust me they are tougher then they look but once you get the hang of the encounters they go much smoother for the tanks.