Possible idea for resil and pve.

Ohai guys, I have an interesting idea of how to change it so that pvp gear is not worth it in pve. This is mostly aimed towards the weapon, obviously not the 4 piece bonus that's already fixed. (Although they could revert that change with this idea!)

Blizzard has stated many times that they do not want players to use pvp gear in pve. They say that players use the PvP weapons because they are superior to what they can get while not raiding. Same applies to the (current) 4 pc set.

My idea is simple, yet effective. Change resil to lower damage done against bosses. I'd say lower it by 5x the amount of damage reduction it gives. For example, if 200 resil gave 2% damage reduction, lower damage done by 10%. This will prevent players who only have the weapon (100-200 resil) from doing decent dps against bosses. Players can still do dailies or kill random mobs with no damage reduction, as this would only be effective toward bosses.

Keep in mind the percentage would be up to blizzard... Not myself. So what does the MMO champ community think of this idea? If you have feedback, please share. If you want to get your post count up, please go elsewhere.

edit - The damage reduction will be for instanced bosses. Not TB daily bosses. Possibly the instance in TB as well. Dunno, it's up to Blizzard how they want to do it.
    Last edited by pomop; 2011-01-26 at 01:07 AM.

Poor pvp'ers trying to do Baradin Hold, is the first thing that comes to mind.
    There's also quests that have you fight "Bosses" every so often, so it would definately affect quests.
    Blizzard wants pvp-gear to be less attractive for PvE encounters, not completely worthless.

What about healers and resilience on healing gear?

Make PvP weps unusable in PvE content? fixd?

OT - your idea isnt bad, just too complicated for what can easily be fixed imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilariel View Post
    Poor pvp'ers trying to do Baradin Hold, is the first thing that comes to mind.
    There's also quests that have you fight "Bosses" every so often, so it would definately affect quests.
    Blizzard wants pvp-gear to be less attractive for PvE encounters, not completely worthless.

What about healers and resilience on healing gear?
    Well, they can make is so bosses in raids and instances count. The weapons wouldn't be useless, it just wont be useful in raids. True about the healers, no clue how to get them to not use weapons with resil. Still, it's an idea on how to get 1 of them to work.
    - Forgot about the baradin hold thing. Either way, 10% isn't a game breaking change. It simply makes it so that in guilds where raiding matters, those weapons will not be allowed. A pug of random people, meh.

Sbarro777, This is the easy fix. Just adding an extra effect to resilience. A hard fix would be making pvp weapons unusable in pve. I don't even think that it's possible to restrict a weapon on a certain fight. Maybe a ~5 minute disarm if you are on an encounter with a boss? With the second change, it would require recoding of every encounter currently in wow (Over 450 bosses) to check for each pvp weapon.
    Last edited by pomop; 2011-01-26 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's already a reason not to wear PvP gear for PvE content -- Resilience. Most items have better stats on them than Resil. To break PvP items in PvE would make it harder for those who can't get their lucky item to drop in a heroic, or get outrolled on it every time. Honestly, if someone in your raid is using PvP gear and you guys down the boss, what does it matter?

On my warlock, I actually am using pvp gloves/cloak/wand/shoulder/ring for my warlock yet I do better DPS than people in my guild who are wearing full 346 heroic dungeon items. Could it be that those players aren't as good? It obviously isn't my PvP gear giving me the advantage. Maybe I'm just a better player than they, but the fact remains that removing PvP gear from PvE is useless.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

10% isn't gamebreaking perhaps, no. But it would really ruin it for those who are in full gladiator gear with 4000 resilience. :P
    If anything, the damagenerf would have to be added to the weapons alone, and not coded into resilience.

Resilience eats a sizable chunk out of the itembudget for dps stats, yes. But the increased flat damage done on PvP-weapons with higher ilvl quickly outweights that. If Blizz DID add tier 2 PvP weapons to the game now, it wouldn't be unlikely they'd be on par with, or even better than heroic raid weapons, simply due to having a higher ilevel than the best heroic raid drops.
    Last edited by Lilariel; 2011-01-26 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Edited in reply to Agalloch

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    there's a perfect way to make PvP gear unusable in PvE...

DON'T INVITE THAT PERSON!!!!!

@Agallochh - True, resilience is a big part. But I'm Talking about the weapons for the most part. Most pvp weapons are best in slot until you get a 359 weapon. Blizzard has said that they don't want pvp weapons to be that good for pve. Personally, I only pvp. I don't raid. This is just an idea because of what Blizzards stance is on pvp weapons in pve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilariel View Post
    10% isn't gamebreaking perhaps, no. But it would really ruin it for those who are in full gladiator gear with 4000 resilience. :P
    If anything, the damagenerf would have to be added to the weapons alone, and not coded into resilience.

Resilience eats a sizable chunk out of the itembudget for dps stats, yes. But the increased flat damage done on PvP-weapons with higher ilvl quickly outweights that. If Blizz DID add tier 2 PvP weapons to the game now, it wouldn't be unlikely they'd be on par with, or even better than heroic raid weapons, simply due to having a higher ilevel than the best heroic raid drops.
    That's the point. The weapons are great because of the regular DPS they do. It doesn't matter if they have resil instead of mastery, the flat dps increase is more than enough to make it a great weapon when you don't have a raid weapon already. And question, why would somebody be raiding with 4k resil?

@Ishootbanks. Pro, posting for points.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are missing the point somewhat.

The reason bliss don't want PvP gear to be useful in PvP, is because some PvEers don't enjoy PvP, and blizz dont want PvEers to be being forced to PvP to optimise gear.
    Last edited by Kaga; 2011-01-26 at 12:57 AM.
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

The 4k resilience thing was mostly for PvP'ers doing theire weekly Baradin Hold, if anyone's doing raids with that, they're pretty much asking for crap dps anyway. :P

Quite a lot of people who exclusively do arena and battlegrounds, who also do Argaloth (and later whichever other dudes they add in there) for the chance of free set pieces. Would be a pretty big slap in the face to have to farm heroics for a random blue PvE set just to wear once a week, hehe. ^^"

Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    there's a perfect way to make PvP gear unusable in PvE...

DON'T INVITE THAT PERSON!!!!!
    That's unless the Raid Leader/Assistant whom is inviting for pug raiders do seriously do an inspection and gear checkings. Not mant RL/Assistants do that honestly.

Base on iLvl is as bad as Gearscore. I believe PvP gears still can be use for those extremely skilled played in PvE Raiding contents should they do at least decent damages (which if they were in PvE gears, mostly likely they can do extra 10-20%) but some simply try to use PvP gears (high iLvl) to get into even Heroics instances yet do "extreme" dps :P