10+ Year Old Account

What happened to wow's integrated voice communication?

Hey guys, i wanted to know if anyone is really using wow's voice communication, and if blizzard has plans in stock for this feature. Personally i think it would be quite awesome to go in a random heroic and be automatically placed in voice chat room with them. Would make heroics a much better place.
    I'm sure most of you remember how useless the dungeon finder used to be before icc came out, it was just this obsolete feature that wow had and nobody used it, so im thinking that perhaps blizzard can polish up the voice chat in wow so that its viable and awesome.
    So my questions are:
    1. Do you use the voice communication tool?
    2. What do u think it can be done to improve the feature?

Deleted
    Ventrilo and the like are just far better quality and more convenient. I honestly don't know anyone using the WoW one. I remember trying it once back when sunwell was released and the sound quality + lag was just horrible compared to other programs.

It sucked back in 2.2 when it was introduced and I don't think anyone has tried it again since :P

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tried it back in TOC for giggles, and the sound quality didn't get any better. I think it was an idea they implemented and then just left there to rot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back then my guild tried it, Purely because our vent time ran out (Rent a server, FTW) and the GM didnt want to pay out for it on the day.

Bad idea. The lag was so bad we had to call the raid.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...c%C3%A9/simple
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Silence/simple
    Sergeant of the Master Sergeants, Most Important Person of Extreme Sergeants, To The MAX!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    I think it was an idea they implemented and then just left there to rot.
    Agreed, I really think they should work on this a bit

10+ Year Old Account
    It just hasn't evolved as a community convention. You can't force these things really. People barely communicate as it is with text when they join a heroic, what makes you think they will be any more willing to do so with voice chat? Sure you could have auto-join, which would mean all you need is to have a mic connected and to push a button to speak to your group, but no doubt many people would want to avoid it and disconnect manually.

Maybe there is some innovative way to make it popular, but I'm certainly not savvy enough to come up with one.

It's one of the only features Blizzard have added that's flopped massively, probably because it provides no in game advantage, something that players are obsessed with. All it allows is easier communication, something which WoW players don't seem to give a shit about to begin with.
    "The truth, my goal."

In vent at least you call call out if you dc, with this your just screwed

They put quite a lot of time into this integrated voice chat system back in TBC (I seem to recall they had to re-program the whole sound server or something) even though no one wanted it and no one ever uses it because it's just one massive fail.
    The only reason they created it is so they can put "INTEGRATED VOICE CHAT SYSTEM" on the box with shiny letters. That's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tho. i must admit, This thread has made me want to try and use it in my next HC / BG..

First time someone used it for me in a random group. i was on my level 6 priest (level 80 now and has been since 3.1 Scared the living hell out of me! i was listerning to music aloud then suddenly BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM of this random dudes voice.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...c%C3%A9/simple
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Silence/simple
    Sergeant of the Master Sergeants, Most Important Person of Extreme Sergeants, To The MAX!

Deleted
    I used it a lot but mainly when we were 2-3 irl friends.We found it quite convenient but whoever we said something about they just said it sucked...

Dunno!

If people torment each other in party chat now which can be looked back on by Blizzard if you report a player for harassment, I have no interest in using voice chat for LFD which keeps no record of the conversation so you can't report someone for verbal abuse. It's your word against their's. All I see happening if requiring the in-game voice chat (or vent) for LFD will be an increase of verbal abuse. It's a good idea in theory, but no. There would be no way to keep the abusers from attacking others and no way to protect the younger players from particularly violent verbal harassment. Women will also likely be harassed far more than they are now. You can hide your gender in a written chat. It's much harder to do so when the chat is verbal.

Deleted
    Simple - Cant call out wow error or dc