Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Death Knight Blood Dual Wield, Possible?

Here is my question, I was studying the talent trees and I put all the points in the Blood tree for my tanking on my Death Knight but I kinda miss the old style dual wielding tanks then I got to looking at the Blood tree and realized that the only tree that has beneficial to using a 2h weapon is at the bottom of the Frost tree and at the very top you can spec 3 points into Nerves of Cold Steel, I believe that it may be a logical idea to be able to dual wield two specific tanking weapons with the dodge and/or parry stats along with the 1h tanking runeforge enchant, I think this may be more beneficial in the end because of the extra dodge and parry you would be quite nice. Well I liked this idea, What do all of you MMO-Champion guys think about this interesting idea?

It's completely possible for 5mans and if you want to mess around with heroics (with gear) but I'd never rely on it in a raid situation just because the threat is built around 2h. It's a nice little toy but I believe thats about it.

Why not, your not going to be king of dps anyways tanking.

3% extra hit, and 25% more dmg with offhand right? Your not losing much dps at all. If any, wouldn't the extra white hits spawn more bloodworms and other procs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rigermortis View Post
    Here is my question, I was studying the talent trees and I put all the points in the Blood tree for my tanking on my Death Knight but I kinda miss the old style dual wielding tanks then I got to looking at the Blood tree and realized that the only tree that has beneficial to using a 2h weapon is at the bottom of the Frost tree and at the very top you can spec 3 points into Nerves of Cold Steel, I believe that it may be a logical idea to be able to dual wield two specific tanking weapons with the dodge and/or parry stats along with the 1h tanking runeforge enchant, I think this may be more beneficial in the end because of the extra dodge and parry you would be quite nice. Well I liked this idea, What do all of you MMO-Champion guys think about this interesting idea?
    Less damage.
    Less trheat.
    Less stam.
    Less str.

No, it won't be good.

Deleted
    Without the talent Threat of Thassarian, which is deep into the Frost Tree, you may not be able to have a good base of building up threat other than your diseases, which quickly can cripple you in the end since Icy Touch isn't giving you additional threat anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Athelo View Post

3% extra hit, and 25% more dmg with offhand right? Your not losing much dps at all. If any, wouldn't the extra white hits spawn more bloodworms and other procs?
    There are no extra white hits. By DW you take your white damage miss chance up to 27%.

./facepalm

Check EJ, sure they can be wrong, but blood dual wield is dead.

Furthermore, your main hand will be your only threat gaining ability, since your OH will only be white swinging.
    Last edited by Vath; 2011-01-26 at 04:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Athelo View Post

You'd think so, but your chance to hit with your white hits drops to 27% as soon as you put that 1h weapon in your OH, and the chance to be parried doubles. In my opinion (and i've put this on the official wow forums with no responses from anyone) Frost should get the "fury" treatment. the ONLY kind of warrior that can DW at all is a Fury warrior. It's a part of the Fury "perks". I know it souds douche to do, but i /facepalm at every blood DW DK i see. the DW model was only workable if you were Frost, and even then you were gimping yourself.

Ohlkookitsthisthreadagain.jpg.

Refer to http://www.wowhead.com/item=59492 , 2H tanking weapon with pure tanking stats. With the reforging available in Cataclysm you gain absolutely nothing from dual wielding. L2Threat of Thassarian, Nerves of Cold Steel is not THE dual wield talent.

It's worse in literally every possible way but if you want to advertise yourself as a bad player then feel free.

With the reforging available in Cataclysm you gain absolutely nothing from dual wielding. L2Threat of Thassarian, Nerves of Cold Steel is not THE dual wield talent.[/QUOTE]

The problem with using Threat of Thassarian is that its all the way at the bottom of the frost spec, which is currently as of Cataclysm no longer a legitimate tank spec...with placing points into blood enough to fulfill what needs to have points you are unable to reach that far into another talent tree, yes it would be nice to be able to place points into that but you cannot do it, hence why I was pondering the idea about using 1h weapons since the talent in question gives extra hit and damage.

Possible? Yes. But there is no situation where it would be anywhere near a good choice.

By doing it, you are only hurting yourself. Right now, there are no exceptions.

The problem with using Threat of Thassarian is that its all the way at the bottom of the frost spec, which is currently as of Cataclysm no longer a legitimate tank spec...with placing points into blood enough to fulfill what needs to have points you are unable to reach that far into another talent tree, yes it would be nice to be able to place points into that but you cannot do it, hence why I was pondering the idea about using 1h weapons since the talent in question gives extra hit and damage.
    I can't even tell if you're trolling with the caliber of most DKs kicking around these days. You can't get Threat of Thassarian in a blood spec? Gee you think? So is dual wield viable for blood? Extra hit and damage in return for tiny rune strikes? Seriously did you even think this through before spewing onto the forum?

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that it may be a logical idea to be able to dual wield two specific tanking weapons with the dodge and/or parry stats along with the 1h tanking runeforge enchant, I think this may be more beneficial in the end because of the extra dodge and parry you would be quite nice.
    Wrong PoV. Dk tanking today means stacking mastery and forget about dodge/parry

Also, Death Strike scales with weapon damage (not dps), thus making your blood shields suffer
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

Q'd for a instance on my dps warrior and got a dual wielding blood dk tank. His threat was unbelievably terrible. A single overpower would pull threat on him (let alone everyone else in the groups dps bypassing his threat). The reason its not viable is that all of your threat building abilities (such as Death strike, heart strike, etc) use your MH damage when you dual wield. 1h damage vs a 2h is extremelyyyyyyy huge for building threat. 3% extra hit and 25% offhand damage means literally nothing when your missing 27% of the time, doing a fraction of your normal damage, and generating threat that's only completable with that of a healers.

Long story short-

Don't do it. Its not worth it now or never

It's funny that once a week someone open a thread about Blood DW...

15+ Year Old Account
    Jeeze, people on the DK forums are so mean sometimes.

Anyway, I agree with most of the harshly-worded posts here in a non-harshly-worded way: Blood dual wield is probably dead. Mainly for threat reasons because your strikes only use your main hand damage, so it is really a large threat drop.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

You can also tank with a cloth set because you look cool, that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    Blood dw is dead, get over it.
    Also i agree with rizerdragon, i hope they'll put nerves of cold steel up in frost tree so that none else will be able to reach it.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's possible, but CERTAINLY not viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Majority of the players here posting comment are based on what they are reading on ej, the real thing is they have never tried it themselves to answer this question properly. I did tried DW tanking as DK before, it is viable, threat is higher than 2H tanking over time. Why is that so?

Like what they said, 2H burst damage is higher, but it will always be a constant threat without picking up more threat, if you draw it on the graph table, the line is constant. During a start of the fight, a 2H DK tank can immediately gain the threat to pull the boss without dps out pulling him but after a while when dpser gain more procs in their dps they will sooner or later overcome or matched the tank threats.

In a DW tank fight, The tank starts with little burst threat, because of weaker damage, throughout the fight you will gain more procs on Scent of Blood and then rune strikes, Rune strike adds threat modifier to 300%, if you draw threat on the graph, it will be a uphill line.

DW is good for unlocking lichborne and capping special attacks hit rate. My tanking gears give about 5% hit rate without reforging, with the 3% hit rate in the talent, you will capped your special attack hit without reforging, meaning 100% landing death strikes, rune strikes and heart strikes provided expertise is 26, easily capped with the gears. Lichborne can save your life when you go down to 10% hp then lichborne + DC, you will get back to full health straight away. White attack hit rate is 27% but you don't need them at all, 8% is all you need for special attacks.