10+ Year Old Account

PC problem [Help]

Hey guys, i just built my very first PC, put it together my self. being my first one, i was a bit worried i might have messed up.

my first problem i encounter was when i start my new PC up, it will turn on, Fans start to spin, lights turn on, everything seems ok, after 2 seconds it will turn off, and stay off for 3 seconds before turning back on by itself, and there will be no problems from there on.

another problem i had was, i wasn't sure if i connected the DVD drive and HDD, to the right place on the motherboard,

my mother board is a P867 Deluxe from ASUS, and the problem was there are 3 different types of SATA connectors on the motherboard, il name them,
    -Intel P67 Serial ATA 6.0Gb/s Connector (7-Pin SATA6G_1/2) there are 2 of these ports on the motherboard
    -Intel P67 Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s connector (7-pin SATA3g_3-6) there are 4 of these ports on the motherboard
    -Marvell Serial ATA 6.0Gb/s Connectors (7-pin Sata6G_E1/E2) there are 2 of these ports on the motherboard

i was unsure where to connect the HDD and Dvd Optical Drive, so i connected the HDD to the -Intel P67 Serial ATA 6.0Gb/s Connector (7-Pin SATA6G_1/2) and the optical drive to the Intel P67 Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s connector (7-pin SATA3g_3-6) because it was the only one in the manual that said was for an optical drive. is this ok that i connected the devices to these ports?

my setup is as follows

MB: P8P67 Deluxe
    CPU: Intel i5 2500 @ 3.30 Ghz
    Ram: Kingston 10600 4gb ddr3
    Graphics: GTX 570
    PSU: corsair 750w HX
    DvD drive: LG dvd-rw
    HDD: WD 1TB SATA HDD

if the HDD is a 3Gb/s interface and its connected to a 6Gb/s port, would there be any problems

if its beeping there is dieffernet codes for the different beeps here is some explanatinos to the beeps http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

but try and take it all apart, and put it back together, and dont really think it matters much what port u put in ur HDD in, might be some performace somth, but shouldnt be anything with it not working

and usually if the cord fits in the mother board its in the right place, there isnt really much displacement to be done there, just dont use force
    Last edited by god of lock and pala; 2011-01-26 at 07:18 AM. Reason: additional info

Deleted
    regarding the hard drive thing... no, it won't be a problem. those things are "backward compatible", meaning the faster, newer bus can also run older things...

the cd thing is ok too.

the reason they have port setups like that, is because it allows you to do different disk setups like raid, etc. you can pretty much run any sata device on any sata port.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks allot for the the reply's guys, puts me at ease now, yeah there isn't any beeping or any errors' or anything poping up, the only issue is it just turns off then back on and then everything is fine. instead of beep codes, i think this systems Q-codes, where it uses Q-code LED, to give you information. I.e 00 = Not used, or 2B = Memory Initialization
    Last edited by shoebox; 2011-01-26 at 07:29 AM.

Deleted
    i had an asus that did that on cold boots... not sure thats it was normal, but i couldnt find anything wrong with it..

it broke after a few months and the replacement did the exact same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
    my first problem i encounter was when i start my new PC up, it will turn on, Fans start to spin, lights turn on, everything seems ok, after 2 seconds it will turn off, and stay off for 3 seconds before turning back on by itself, and there will be no problems from there on.
    Maybe there is a grounding issue with the Motherboard.

A good way to test this is to take the motherboard out of the computer and see if the problem remains with just the power supply, ram and cpu attached to the motherboard. (Edit: Or just look at the board and make sure the spacer screws are in the right places).

If the problem goes away, then you can put things back in 1 by 1 to troubleshoot.
    Last edited by grifty; 2011-01-26 at 07:46 AM.