10+ Year Old Account

Hit or Exp for Maloriak Adds?

I had my first quick crack at Maloriak tonight and am assigned to be the abberation tank. I only had a few shots at it before we called for the night, but the adds weren't sticking to me as well as I'd like. It was the end of the night so I didn't bother to take the time to respec for B&T (and I'm sure that will help some next raid night) but I still want to either reforge for a lil more hit or exp or use my backup +hit bracers.

Is getting a lil more hit or a lil more exp more beneficial for picking up the adds, or should I raise each a little. I am currently just over 3 percent hit and at 8 exp. Thanks for any insight.
    "Brevity is...wit"

I handle the adds in my guild on heroic magmaw, maloriak and nefarian. After weve killed omnotron I have the tendency
    to hs and reforge most of my avoidance to hit since I have alot of offpieces in my current prot gear, so I gain alot of
    expertise anyway.

Sure you can do without, but I find it extremely annoying to have to use piercing howl three times to ensure that the
    9 adds all have slows working because im 7% below the hitcap. I know that demoralizing shout needs 17% hit to not miss
    at all, but if im completely honest, I cant say for sure if this is the case for piercing howl.

The reliable damage boost you gain from hit is also very handy at Maloriak where the black ooze adds should be killed
    with quite some haste.

6-7% (8 if its possible) and like 17 expertise should be quite fine.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Your talking about the adds during the vail phases are the onces that come when you enter p2?
    cause the onces in p2 need to be picked up within 5 sec of spawn otherwise they fixate on someone and you can't get them off anymore.

The wave adds shouldn't be a problem to grab even without any hit (atleast our warrior tank (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../sankri/simple) has no problems with it)
    (TC / Cleave and shockwave are really nice to get them on you).

If you have a hunter let him apply a frost trap in the middle and just run to 1 side, Sockwave them and start running through the trap to the otherside, you should have your shockwave ready again. Rinse and repeat ;-)
    Last edited by Nessiroj; 2011-01-26 at 09:46 AM.
    "Great men do not seek power, they have power thrust upon them."
    "A leader is judged not by the length of his reign but by the decisions he makes."
    "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault. If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault. If the DPS dies, it's their own fault."

Deleted
    When did you lose aggro? Keep in mind they take less damage the more they are with their debuff, but since nobody should be dpsing them until the green phase the only time you should risk losing aggro would be then. Ask for MDs if there are any available, because you won't be able to build as much threat as necessary on all adds before the green phase.

Hit would be the preferred stat to prevent missing any TCs or SWs. Glyph SW and TC for this fight should you feel it's necessary. During the red phase your entire raid is stacked up in the middle of the room. Try to release as many adds during this phase as possible if it would make things easier for you.

THIS IS FOR DPS WARRIORS - Respec Arms for Maloriak. I dropped about 2k DPS before our green phase, but during green phase, I spiked up to roughly 20k DPS, from 12, then evened out at 18.5k by the end of the fight.

Yo Dawg, I heard you like Pirates. Well, I put a Bloodsail in your Bloodsail, and now you can Pirate while you Pirate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    When did you lose aggro? Keep in mind they take less damage the more they are with their debuff, but since nobody should be dpsing them until the green phase the only time you should risk losing aggro would be then. Ask for MDs if there are any available, because you won't be able to build as much threat as necessary on all adds before the green phase.

Hit would be the preferred stat to prevent missing any TCs or SWs. Glyph SW and TC for this fight should you feel it's necessary. During the red phase your entire raid is stacked up in the middle of the room. Try to release as many adds during this phase as possible if it would make things easier for you.
    We only had 3 real shots at it and are still fumbling through a bit before some real attempts tomorrow. As far as I remember the problems came when adds were released during blue phase and people were spread far out. All 3 aberrations didn't seem to always spawn together so there would be 2 on one side of the room and 1 on the other. Because of lots of shamans and paladins in our grp someone had a ret aura up, which may have exacerbated the problem a bit.

Releasing them during red sounds like a good idea I will suggest it. I also noted someone mentioned piercing howl, which I hadn't considered. How many adds is too many, and should I be kiting them as much as possible? I was doing ok with 3 sets of adds one me but a 4th set was accidentally released and I dropped pretty fast.

Anyway thanks for the info all. I'll try upping my hit just a bit and maybe take Piercing Howl for a little more control.

Edit for clarity: I guess I wasn't having a problem keeping aggro as much as a little trouble with picking them up. We never got very far into a green phase in the few tries we had so nobody else was really whacking on them.
    Last edited by shokter; 2011-01-26 at 01:51 PM.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Picking the adds up can be extremely annoying with low hit/expertise. I've got 1% hit and 10 expertise and you just get unlucky sometimes. Adds start hurting at 9, you should really avoid having 12 of them up at the same time.

Deleted
    Since nobody should be dpsing them, do not be afraid to charge new adds. Charge one, hit it with something, intercept another, hit it with something, taunt and HT a third. To completely neglect any back-towards-the-enemy damage, stun the old adds before you leave them for the new.

Ask for MDs during the blue phase if there are any available.

We found 3 sets of adds to be the best. 9 adds hit somewhat hard but not too hard. Interrupt the first and second summon casts unless the first is delayed (there should always be a release coupled with the storm, if it isn't, then it's delayed) in which case you only interrupt the first. This way you'll have the last set of adds spawn right before the green phase. Just remember do interrupt the summon casts during the green phase.

You should not have to bother with Piercing Howl for this encounter. Kite them if you want to, but it really shouldn't be necessary.

Are we talking 10m or 25m ? I only did 25m and tbh, we do this with 3 tanks. 1 for the boss, 2 for adds (one on the left of the room, the other on the right). It may be a bit overkill but we have no issue with enrage timer whatsoever, so doing it this way is just easy. Each tank takes care of 4/5 adds, and its really, really easy. No CD needed either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alianthos View Post
    Are we talking 10m or 25m ? I only did 25m and tbh, we do this with 3 tanks. 1 for the boss, 2 for adds (one on the left of the room, the other on the right). It may be a bit overkill but we have no issue with enrage timer whatsoever, so doing it this way is just easy. Each tank takes care of 4/5 adds, and its really, really easy. No CD needed either.
    We too are using three tanks on our Maloriak encounter. It just simplifies the add control on the part of the tanks and healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    We too are using three tanks on our Maloriak encounter. It just simplifies the add control on the part of the tanks and healers.
    Aye, just remember to stack up the 2 adds group where Maloriak is bump during green phase, AOE hard, then spread again. If their is 1/2 adds remaining with low HP, the tanks should be able to finish them off until the next wave comes.

Just buy all the rep gear twice. Gem, reforge and enchant for hit. You now have a hit set from the epic cape, bracer and boots. Use the bs shield and if you have it, the soul edge sword. If you want, you can buy the dps plate belt from hyjal and put 2 hit gems in it and reforge crit for hit since it has armor, stam and lots of mastery already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodsail the Orc View Post
    THIS IS FOR DPS WARRIORS - Respec Arms for Maloriak. I dropped about 2k DPS before our green phase, but during green phase, I spiked up to roughly 20k DPS, from 12, then evened out at 18.5k by the end of the fight.
    Why would that matter? There are plenty of other classes with good AOE. Warriors should be sticking to the boss on Green phase for interrupts since we have arguably the worst AOE of all melee atm. AOE DPS doesn't mean jack, anyway.

I usually just H Leap into to the adds, bust a WW and cleave, then interrupt Arcane storm while staying on boss the whole time. We won't make much difference on adds other than that (unless your raidcomp is janky as fuuuuuuk).
    Quote Originally Posted by Abolishment View Post
    Hakto: English is an evolving language. When I say "I am gay", some people choose to interpet that as "he defines himself as gay, gay, and nothing but the gay, so help him Robot Unicorn Attack".