Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    PvPing balance is hard and mostly disappointing, but when you get some level of resilience, bgs (the non-rated kind) hold tons of potential for fun. You're still going to get destroyed by melee (even moreso after the roots glyph change) but casters are actually easy to kill unless they're fairly more skilled/geared than you.

Yes, total shameless plug ;p

As a rogue I'll stop what I'm doing (unless I've already opened on a non demo lock clothie) to kill moonkins. Just saying.

yes we need a aoe fear like priests.

we can call it "Terrifying Cluck"
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

Deleted
    Haha, yeah most of what people write is true. Boomkins have always been free kills in pvp ever since the game began, as far as I know (I started in BC - where believe it or not it was far far worse).

But you can do a lot to make it a pain in the ass for melee at least. Keep up Thorns, use Nature's Grasp (seriously, best friend forever), use the glyphed instant Entangling Roots, use Cyclone, and don't try to nuke with long casts. Just use every bit of your mobility to outrange them and let your dots do the work.

Try to put yourself into eclipse states before a fight, Solar preferably, by killing any mobs around. You can do this even before you enter the BG since it persists.

This is about the only way I have been killed on the rare occasion by Moonkins. They basically played on the fact that most classes view them as free HKs. So, they just kited me with seemingly week ass spells (I wasn't seeing the signature green or white hands of interruptible Dead Moonkin Walking syndrome) so I ended up dead before I even knew it!

Against casters, obviously try to fake them so they use up their first anti-snare (Fade for priests, Blink for mages, etc). Then land them with a perfectly timed back-to-back instant root+Solar Beam, then pop everything and nuke them down. Finally, just before they counter nuke make sure you have full dots running on them and you are close to max range, use your Barkskin and mobility to get you out of trouble again before keeping up the dots or repeaing the root+nuke (with or without silence). Typhoon is great if they are close enough to interrupt spells and do some nice damage too (don't glyph it for pvp).

Of course, best thing to do is to view yourself as a support spec (like all hunter specs, elemental shamans) rather than a 1v1 spec and hang around with groups or stealthed feral/rogue. They should peel for you and you can just act like a turret - which means you get to use all your spells and its your turn to get free HKs, hopefully.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2011-01-26 at 06:12 PM.

Moonkin= pvp taunt
    If they see you, they WILL target you and try to kill you.
    I have been deathgripped and have died mid-air because 5 different people kept deathgripping me while ranged killed me. Moonkin is that much of a target. Partially for strategic reasons, but mostly you are targeted because you stand out and killing the big chicken is fun. (i might have a boomkin main, but on my alts, chicken is tasty, and especially on my main, losing to another boomkin is an affront.

On the otherhand, just pop into Moonkin form beside a flag carrier. it works quite nicely. To survive as moonkin in pvp, you need to stay in back of your melee dps. Make sure you are ALWAYS on the very edge of the fight, preferably out of range of enemy casters, and only in range of enemy dps. A good fight on the AV bridge can equal crit chicken with 40 killing blows, no deaths.

pretty much go with everything squeeze said with an added bonus:

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GO AFTER A PROT WARRIOR

its suicidal, its reckless, and it will get you kill.

your best friend normally consist of any lock, any priest, or a frost mage.

the only melee class you probably wont have as much problem is, strangely enough, is Ret Pallies.....

BTW, Use your Remove Corruption spell on yourself as much as you can, it can save your life against a rogue (its a 50/50 really)

also, your typhoon can double up as a pseudo interrupt if your solar beam is on cd

finally, dont be afraid to run up, shift into a bear, bash they mofo, and step back

Once the patch comes out, move Soothe onto your bar. This spell is useful for anything with an enrage effect (I have not tested it out against a BM hunter yet, so i m not sure if it will get rid of beastial wrath and beast within)
    Last edited by DiscoMoonkin; 2011-01-26 at 06:48 PM.
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a nice Boomkin strategy I put into practice every time I get into WSG.

The righteous chicken always achieves victory through tauting the whole opposing team into following it, while the flag carrier goes COMPLETELY unseen, shadowed by the fear the the mighty chicken of doom spreads through their lines.

TRUST ME, it works, I can usually get up to 6 people to run behind me in a KFC killing frenzy while a Feral guildie gets the flags in.
    Last edited by Zoibert the Bear; 2011-01-26 at 08:36 PM.

Deleted
    Haha I have actually tried that as well, it's a bit insane, you can pop catform + dash and maybe even get away for a few secs.. But they will never stop hunting a spotted Moonkin )

Deleted
    i spend most of my time not in moonkin form, and wearing pve gear the theory is even with 3k resi i will die too quickly and when people see moonkins they tunnel on you. It seems to work rather well lol, i usually come top of damage and killing blows in bgs. I'd never do arena as moonkin. its just asking for trouble!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by emybob View Post
    i spend most of my time not in moonkin form, and wearing pve gear the theory is even with 3k resi i will die too quickly and when people see moonkins they tunnel on you. It seems to work rather well lol, i usually come top of damage and killing blows in bgs. I'd never do arena as moonkin. its just asking for trouble!
    I did what I used to do in arenas in WTLK, reforged, gemmed and enchanted everything to resilence, Im rolling on 3600+ resilence at the moment FOR BGS, and still its impossible to do nothing. If someone wants to kill you, he will easily do it.

Deleted
    I did what I used to do in arenas in WTLK, reforged, gemmed and enchanted everything to resilence, Im rolling on 3600+ resilence at the moment FOR BGS, and still its impossible to do nothing. If someone wants to kill you, he will easily do it.
    i'd imagine it is rather depressing spending all your honour and gold on gearig up for resilience. I figured from wotlk that moonkin pvp would be just as bad so didnt bother. best thing u can do is go full pve and just do as much damage as u can. usually u can take down a couple of people or go SotA and be a demo passenger!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rxblacky View Post
    Blizzard: Tastes Like Moonkin - Working As Intended (TM)!

Still, beats being an ele shaman in terms of survivability through mobility/CC, by a mile.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2011-01-26 at 10:26 PM.

To be fair we're just not meant to be 1v1 combatants. I do rateds with my guild and with heals we do just fine. Naturally we're a larger strain on the heals than others since we can't do so well on our own...but...just try to stay with the group and take advantage of that damage. Also...typhoon is super fun at the lumber mill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyotanka View Post
    To be fair we're just not meant to be 1v1 combatants. I do rateds with my guild and with heals we do just fine. Naturally we're a larger strain on the heals than others since we can't do so well on our own...but...just try to stay with the group and take advantage of that damage. Also...typhoon is super fun at the lumber mill.
    Maybe with 4-5 heals on us we can do something actually useful, if we get to cast something, but still we are much worse than any other class in 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3, 5vs5, and in BGs and rated BGs if we dont have enough heals focusing on us.

Actually when I do BGs or rated BGs as moonking with my guild, I feel like Im annoying my team, instead of helping.

10+ Year Old Account
    After the patch I'm 50% sure it will get better! And I am 50% sure that information is accurate. And I am 50% sure that percentage is accurate... and so forth and so forth.

Don't worry, be happy
    Not every n00b is a bad player, but every bad player is a n00b.

I was leveling my DK and got to level 82. Some 85 boomkin kept trying to gank me, and over about an hour I sent him to the graveyard 6 times in 6 fights. The only time I died he didnt survive my dots. DK had 49k health, boomkin had 107k. I am hoping it was just a terrible player but it is really pathetic I can kill another player with twice my health consistently.

Just wait till u can get that moonfire talent (can remember the tier :<) and then go for moonfire spam

Quote Originally Posted by rxblacky View Post
    Maybe with 4-5 heals on us we can do something actually useful, if we get to cast something, but still we are much worse than any other class in 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3, 5vs5, and in BGs and rated BGs if we dont have enough heals focusing on us.

Actually when I do BGs or rated BGs as moonking with my guild, I feel like Im annoying my team, instead of helping.
    That's...odd. In our rateds we usually only have one healer for every group of dps and I stay alive just fine. It could be that the teams we face aren't coordinated enough...but...*shrug*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyltin View Post
    Blizz is working on that. The next patch will remove teh bonus armor as boonkin and you will get fixed 15% dmg reduction like shadow priests. Also your shrooms will get better and some spells get cheaper. Boonkins are really good burster and DPS, but they dont have enough survivability right now. In PvE they are top while PvP they are nearl the bottom (beast master and marksman hunter are lower).
    Nope, next patch will be business as usual. Just like it has been for the last 5+ years. Whatever moonkin gains, it will always be outbalanced by gains for the other classes or something critical taken away from it with the other hand. It's best to just accept it and play to its strengths:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Glyph of Entangling Roots redesigned. It now reduces the cast time of Entangling Roots by 0.2 seconds, rather than making it instant cast.

The trick is to stay out of Moonkin Form, and way in the back.