Constant Disconnects at random times

I originally had a problem back about 3 weeks after the expansion came out where I would constantly be DCing during really inconventent times and somehow I would still be able to see chat and talk to other players while everything else was lagged out. It happened regardless of any add on unsage or not and I couldn't stay on for more then several minutes at a time.

I looked into it and after contacting my service providr twice about it they claimed that the router I was using was responsible, so I tried simply connecting to my modem with out the router and wow ean perfectly, so I went and bought a new router. (Linksys E3000)
    It worked ok for the next month, only a DC here or there, but now for the past few weeks its been doing the same thing as before, and once again if I connect to the modem directly it works perfectly, but I do not live alone.

I have port forwarded ports 1119, 1120, 3724, and 4000 with both routers

Basically I'm saying theirs something going on with my routers, and I'm a lot more hesitant to go out and just get another one unless I know it won't be the same

10+ Year Old Account
    Wall of questions incoming:

Have you secured your router well? Checked for firmware updates that may fix vulnerabilities on it? Are you running over wireless or wired? Can you try disabling your wireless altogether? Does the router have a utilization graph feature to show you how much bandwidth is being taken by the people you live with?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimoos View Post
    Have you secured your router well?
    I'm not sure what you mean, its a bit vague

Checked for firmware updates that may fix vulnerabilities on it?
    I have updated it to the latest firmware

Are you running over wireless or wired?
    Wired

Can you try disabling your wireless altogether?
    Its an inconvenience but I could if it would help

Does the router have a utilization graph feature to show you how much bandwidth is being taken by the people you live with?
    Not that I know of, but my bandwidth is pretty good

Just wanna ask, who is your internet provider?
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggz View Post
    /facepalm, assasination mastery increases poison damage, as far as i'm aware envenom doesn't count as poison damage

10+ Year Old Account
    By secured, I'm wondering if you've set a strong admin password, and for your wireless are running at least wap2 with a key that isn't "password" and things along those lines - basically making sure you don't have people using/breaking your internet on you.

Its wap2, and yes there an admin password

Quote Originally Posted by tremors View Post
    Just wanna ask, who is your internet provider?
    Rogers, but like I said it works fine with out the router

I had similar issues. It doesn't seem to be connection issue. It's as if client stopped sending information to server, except for chats. I guess chats are handled by separate servers. It's not really lag. I could keep the game on for 15 minutes and chat normally, but server wouldn't send me information about mobs, I wouldn't be able to cast anything and so on...

The only fix in such situation was to relaunch game. Also, I'm using cable connection without a router
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Of course I reset the game when it happens, but it just keeps happening,

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'm not sure what to recommend at this point. I find it peculiar that two routers are exhibiting the same issue yet it goes away when you connect directly. Does the issue happen with enough regularity that you are certain it is gone when you are directly connected to the modem? If you normally see it happen within 5 minutes and are only connected to the modem for 5 minutes to test, have you tried staying directly connected to the modem for a few hours?

Otherwise, it seems to me that the issue is either a problem with the router, a problem with the router's configuration, or something occurring within your network that causes the router to malfunction. Like I suggested earlier, what happens when you try playing without anyone connected on wireless or even other wired ports (that eliminates my third concern). What if you set the router's configuration back to default with only an admin password and wireless disabled (for the second concern)?

Yes I attach it directly to the modem whenever I'm the only one using it

---------- Post added 2011-01-26 at 05:48 PM ----------

I tried resetting the router with no luck, it starts happening randomly to me whether or not someone else is also using the connection

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, new thought process - the common element is your computer, which seems to work when directly connected to the modem but not when behind a router. What OS are you running? If you're using Windows 7 (and potentially vista), try going to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center and under "View Active Networks" Click where it says "Home/Work/Public" network. If you're using home, try switching it to work, or vice versa - or, presumably as you're using "public" when directly connected to the internet, try switching to that and see if it works. I'm just wondering if there's a firewall setting or something somewhere that is messing with you.

Does anyone else you live with play wow, or have a computer capable of testing it from?

I use windows 7, and yes there are other computers I can test it from

---------- Post added 2011-01-26 at 06:13 PM ----------

after testing on 2 other computers, It seems one of them is working fine with out any disconnects and the other has the same problems

10+ Year Old Account
    Any clear commonalities between the two that have issues and the one that doesn't? Same anti-virus/firewall, or something else?

I'm running Norton 360, The computer that's working uses AVG

---------- Post added 2011-01-27 at 09:24 AM ----------

bump for any additional advice from anyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, sorry, I'm out of useful ideas

Deleted
    Try removing Norton for a while and get Microsoft Security Essentials. Quite unlikely to work but if you're desperate.

After checking again a couple times, Its happening on all computers, regardly of firewall, and such

Windows 7 has dns timeout issues for quite a number of people. I was having the same issues as you until I switched my router/modem and haven't dc'd since. So go out by a new router set it up and if it still dc's ya go and return it for a new one and if it still dc's ya call up rogers and have them send you a new modem.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig318 View Post
    Windows 7 has dns timeout issues for quite a number of people. I was having the same issues as you until I switched my router/modem and haven't dc'd since. So go out by a new router set it up and if it still dc's ya go and return it for a new one and if it still dc's ya call up rogers and have them send you a new modem.
    I already bought a new router and it ended up doing the same thing shortly after, while at the same time it works fine if I play just connected straight to the modem,

---------- Post added 2011-01-30 at 11:02 PM ----------

Does anyone at least have any suggestions of what router I should I get if I replace it again?