Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Do WoW players intentionally deflect new games?

    I was pondering and a thought came to me.. are long time WoW players AFRAID of a new game? By that I mean, afraid that a better game will come out, not out of any fealty to wow or blizzard, but for fear of what it would mean. For example, if a truly good game came out, that lead them down the road of temptation to quit wow, they'd be giving up long time associations, status, guild etc.

    It seems to parallel with real life, where people are equally nervous about such huge changes: IE: taking a new job in a totally different part of the country or different country, essentially having to start your life over.

    So I thought, is it similiar with people's "gaming life"? Do people get nervous about this to the point where they will crap on any new game, not because they think its crap, but as a sort of psychological defense mechanism to shield themselves from the temptation, and the thought of having to start all over?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  2. #2
    Mechagnome Nekrow Stilborne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dalaran, hiding whoopie cushions under Rhonin's chair.
    Posts
    502
    I could possibly fit under this category.

    I really don't want to see a new game capable of rivaling WoW, because that means those four years I spent playing WoW were essentially USELESS. By that, I mean I've got a couple toons that have hundreds of hours of playing time... but I could care less about them, because this new game has come out!

    It's also probably why I cringe every time I see the word "WoW-killer." Not just because it's highly irritating and mostly untrue (another game completely DESTROYING another? Good luck.), but because it's often a chance I may have to check it out =/
    Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and for thy possession, the ends of the earth. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron. Thou shalt dash them in pieces, like a potter's vessel. Be wise now therefore ye kings. Be admonished ye judges of the earth. Serve the lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the son lest he be angry, and ye perish in the way, though his wrath be kindled but a little.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega View Post
    I was pondering and a thought came to me.. are long time WoW players AFRAID of a new game? By that I mean, afraid that a better game will come out, not out of any fealty to wow or blizzard, but for fear of what it would mean. For example, if a truly good game came out, that lead them down the road of temptation to quit wow, they'd be giving up long time associations, status, guild etc.

    It seems to parallel with real life, where people are equally nervous about such huge changes: IE: taking a new job in a totally different part of the country or different country, essentially having to start your life over.

    So I thought, is it similiar with people's "gaming life"? Do people get nervous about this to the point where they will crap on any new game, not because they think its crap, but as a sort of psychological defense mechanism to shield themselves from the temptation, and the thought of having to start all over?
    When a new game (MMO) comes out, most of your associates, or at least the ones you actually care about, start playing with you. When WoW first came out, about 30 of us in a guild from SWG moved. It's exciting to play a fresh game like that and be completely new to it, but to be playing it with your friends as well. Learning together, etc.

    So no. I would love if a game came out that was better than WoW, because it would be worth investing in. Recently, of the 10 or so people that still remain from our core SWG guild, we've tried a few MMOs, and we return to WoW fairly readily, because they just don't have the same appeal. I think most of secretly hope that WoW WILL be supplanted, it just hasn't yet.

    The game that will probably steal me from WoW will be The Old Republic, even if I'm the only one who chooses to play it.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-26 at 05:15 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nekrow Stilborne View Post
    I could possibly fit under this category.

    I really don't want to see a new game capable of rivaling WoW, because that means those four years I spent playing WoW were essentially USELESS. By that, I mean I've got a couple toons that have hundreds of hours of playing time... but I could care less about them, because this new game has come out!

    It's also probably why I cringe every time I see the word "WoW-killer." Not just because it's highly irritating and mostly untrue (another game completely DESTROYING another? Good luck.), but because it's often a chance I may have to check it out =/
    By the same philosophy, every time a new expansion comes out, the time you were playing the previous expansion were useless as well. Within a week or so, all of your past achievements are pointless and you've replaced all of your old gear. Nothing you achieved in that expansion really carries over apart from mounts etc, which can then be easily gained at a higher level. You may as well consider them separate games.

    So, why is it any different with an expansion?

    Personally, I play a game for fun. If it stops being fun, I stop playing it. Until that point, I don't consider any of it 'wasted'. Only once you're playing a game for the sake of playing it is your time / effort truly wasted.

  4. #4
    I don't think I'm "afraid" of a new game taking over WoW... its just, that as a senior wow player (played since Vanilla release), i know how addicting a new and interesting game can be.

    I don't want to hit that "Wall of addiction" again, where I just HAD to spend every hr of my free time in-game. I like where I am with WoW atm, and therefore don't want anything else to interfere with that.

  5. #5
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow.
    Posts
    1,966
    No most of us are not afraid of other games. Speaking only about MMO's here now(not going to count the 20 or so other games I have bought tha past year and a half).

    I have bought Age of Conan, played it for 2 or so months side by side with before I got terribly bored of it and decided to cancel the subs and leave the game to gather dust.

    I played the Warhammer beta and ended up buying the game and subbing for it for 2 months before I again got bored and put it on the same dustfilled shelf as AoC.

    I never played Aion as it never appealed to me at all so I never bothered. Currently playing the Rift beta and unfortunatly it's not looking to be a game I'll end up paying money for as it just doesn't have the same appeal to me as WoW does.

    Some might be reluctant to even consider other games ofc, but far from all of us are afraid of other games it's just so far none of the other MMO's has been worth the time nor the money(obviously my personal opinion).I love new games, the more new good games that comes the better it gives me something to do and it spices up the competition and forces other games to become even bettter.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekrow Stilborne View Post
    I could possibly fit under this category.

    I really don't want to see a new game capable of rivaling WoW, because that means those four years I spent playing WoW were essentially USELESS.
    An honest answer that probably fits the largest percentage of people. To counter that, know that when you leave wow (7 months clean now) that all your work is still there.
    A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
    is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

  7. #7
    Bloodsail Admiral Dashield28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MD, The US of Eh?
    Posts
    1,111
    I'm not afraid. To take a chance. Everybody, come take my hand. We'll try this game together, through the wipes, whatever gamma.

    Ok but really, I try new games all the time.

    Since starting playing WoW, I've also actively played Spellforce, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Aion, Starcraft. Now that I also tried RIFT beta, i think the game is really cool, so I will be playing that (already pre-ordered my copy).

  8. #8
    Mechagnome Kagdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    QC! but mostly in my head
    Posts
    583
    What makes a great MMO game? the mmo part. Most players in wow are in here because they know somebody who plays with them. With the years, we made a lot of friends etc.

    SO when you change for a new MMO you often goes alone and end up returning to WoW because you miss the social "non"-life that goes with it.

    I didn't tried a lot of MMO, but it's mostly for that i never stick with them, and the part where the questing is just bleh.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonLajoie
    Are you tired of focusing your time and energy on projects and activities without seeing any positive results? Try…not giving a f*ck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JonLajoie
    Not giving a f*ck is awwwesome.

  9. #9
    Any game that comes out people from this community will hate. For example.

    ME: I got this sweet puzzle game on my phone.
    Average mmo-champ poster: IT WILL NOT KILL WOW!!@!@()%)!@!! STOP SAYING IT WILLL!!@!@!@?!@#!@#!
    ME: I never said it will.
    Average mmo-champ poster: Because it won't
    ME: Okay then
    Average mmo-champ poster: Good, when will you idiots get it through your head that nothing will ever kill wow.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

  10. #10
    Of course. We invested a lot of money playing WoW and if we stop, it would be like... throwing that investment away.
    I get sad everytime I remember that I bought Cata 1 month ago and now I'm not playing WoW anymore, if more people feel the same, I can't blame them.

    But I think that not playing a better game to "not waste the money I already spend" is like "I'll never stop playing my 8-bits Nintendo because I payed a lot for it in 90'!!!!", you know?

  11. #11
    all the time you spend playing a game is useless. if you move to another game or not.

  12. #12
    The Patient
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    325
    Dragon Age/Mass Effect > WoW, shame you actually Finish those games though :'(
    WoW isn't really a good game, just have a look at the current PvP state, and the horrendous bugs in PvE atm,. WoW is just mediocre, but it lasts forever.
    Last edited by Tozza; 2011-01-26 at 05:33 PM.

  13. #13
    Its possible some do ... I've quit wow 4 times and played other games for up to 6 months.

    Eventually I hit level caps and found no end-game or horrible end games (as one example) that eventually motivated me to return.
    In other instances I simply played other types of games like FPS (CoD World at War was big for me for about 4 month wow break)

    However I will admit having multiple high level chars, flying mounts, fast flying, dual specs, fully bought up bank slots etc. All these are 'investments' that given a == game the "weight" of my time and investment are all in Wow over 6 years I might be inclined to stick with it if the other game were "about as fun as wow". Why start all over for roughly the same level of fun? Because in the end one of the "fun" things is improving your characters. And my WoW characters have definitely improved over the years

  14. #14
    I love WoW. That said, I love other games too, but I've yet to see other games, particularly MMOs, match its class balance (you can QQ about who's OP in arena this season, but I have some serious doubts about Rift being able to balance its mixed classes), lore, history, playability, etc. I had some friends excited about Aion when it first came out, until it turned into an unfun grind-fest.

    I'd be surprised if a game came out that could switch the majority of WoW's playerbase, but if it did, then I guess I'd switch to it too without much regret over my toons and time played as being "a waste". I had fun every minute, and my attachment to the past wouldn't affect my ability to move to something different.

    Also, anyone get a kick over some of Rift's marketing? "We're not in Azeroth anymore." You can't say they don't know who they're going to be competing with for customers.

  15. #15
    I just quit wow and my guild, and my account through 6 years with hundreds of days played across it, titles, mounts, everything i collected during the time...

    RIFT here i come! a fresh game, a fresh guild, and a fresh start

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tozza View Post
    Dragon Age/Mass Effect > WoW, shame you actually Finish those games though :'(
    WoW isn't really a good game, just have a look at the current PvP state, and the horrendous bugs in PvE atm,. WoW is just mediocre, but it lasts forever.
    That can't be true. Other MMOs come out, other games come out. People really don't stick with shit just because it used to be a good meal. If WoW is as mediocre as you say, people wouldn't pay money to continuously play it for years and years. Or is it that WoW is truly mediocre, and all MMORPGs since then are just less than mediocre? Have we yet to see a "good" MMO?

  17. #17
    If there only was better game than WoW. We could at last see some competition from developers. Blizzard is class for themselves while it may be particulary good cause we have the best game around, we can't really chose anything else. I would have to see much, MUCH better game to change, cause I went too deep with all lore stuff to learn about it, to throw it away, I simply love universe of Warcraft. New games try to create fresh universes, also add new game mechanics but they fail when it comes to whole content, it's simply not enough for me after getting used to some standards here. No wonder, not every company can afford spending so much money as Blizzard can. Also "when it's done", not when it's crap but we need money.

  18. #18
    I too have wanted to start playing a new game other than WoW. I'm not afraid to stop playing WoW, but all the MMO's I have been trying aren't living up to my expectations to an MMO and I always end up heading back to WoW after a couple weeks playing the new MMO. What I hate most about new games is the User Interface and the world around me. I am currently playing the RIFT Beta and let me just say, It's pretty freaking awesome... First new mmo that has actually surpassed my expectations in awhile, VERY pleased with this game. It may be the game that finally sets me apart from WoW. But, we will see how end game content is.

  19. #19
    I know I don't. I intentionally make it a point to be playing 2 MMOs at all times, and have had that policy since before I played WoW. Most of the games are free-to-play (I have tried DDO, LoTRO, and even Allods) but I also gave Aion its shot (much to my regret).

    I usually wait until the game has been out for a decent amount of time. I had originally planned to give Champions Online a shot but then news came down of it becoming free-to-play so I decided to wait until then. It's free-to-play now, so I am giving it its shot (and I'm actually enjoying myself, but we'll see how long that lasts).

    Unless the release of Rift is absolutely horrible and whatever problems crop up don't get fixed, I intend on trying Rift a few months after its release. And I'm actually looking forward to Guild Wars 2, which is kind of odd since I didn't really like Guild Wars. Meh.

    I never play betas though. I don't think I can give a beta a fair shake, plus I don't give good feedback anyway.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  20. #20
    Scarab Lord namelessone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    4,256
    I can't speak for an average WoW player, but I play many single player games when I'm not playing WoW. I actually enjoy single player games a lot. As for other new MMOs, well, there's a problem. All new MMOs that I tried don't feel unique enough for me to give up hundreds of hours invested in my WoW character. I was saying since long time ago, as long as someone's gonna make a truly innovative MMO (no static quests, no "holy trinity" class design, no level-specific zones) - I'd definitely give it an honest shot. So far I've played only one MMO sufficiently different from WoW - EVE - but I was turned off by extremely unfriendly community and boring lackluster gameplay outside of PvP.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •