Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    For me, I'm getting on now. My gaming lifestyle of my teens is all but over. Sure, there are many games out there, that I would like to play, but I am happy being at a stage where WoW is the only game I play. (Well, that and Minecraft ), and should I ever end my WoW career, that could also be it for my gaming life too. (Except Minecraft )
    Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    That said, I'm going to bed. Having a conversation in this context with someone with an avatar alluding to heroine use is just odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight90 View Post
    When a new game (MMO) comes out, most of your associates, or at least the ones you actually care about, start playing with you. When WoW first came out, about 30 of us in a guild from SWG moved. It's exciting to play a fresh game like that and be completely new to it, but to be playing it with your friends as well. Learning together, etc.

So no. I would love if a game came out that was better than WoW, because it would be worth investing in. Recently, of the 10 or so people that still remain from our core SWG guild, we've tried a few MMOs, and we return to WoW fairly readily, because they just don't have the same appeal. I think most of secretly hope that WoW WILL be supplanted, it just hasn't yet.

The game that will probably steal me from WoW will be The Old Republic, even if I'm the only one who chooses to play it.

---------- Post added 2011-01-26 at 05:15 PM ----------

By the same philosophy, every time a new expansion comes out, the time you were playing the previous expansion were useless as well. Within a week or so, all of your past achievements are pointless and you've replaced all of your old gear. Nothing you achieved in that expansion really carries over apart from mounts etc, which can then be easily gained at a higher level. You may as well consider them separate games.

So, why is it any different with an expansion?

Personally, I play a game for fun. If it stops being fun, I stop playing it. Until that point, I don't consider any of it 'wasted'. Only once you're playing a game for the sake of playing it is your time / effort truly wasted.
    You win 10 internets for the first part
    And another 90 internets for the second part.

I guess this is catered toward the MMO genre... cause I've been playing a shitload of games since WoW was released. You make a valid point OP. Agreed.

Well i notice the ammount of crap games i have bought has gone down by a lot.. though i still play stuff like Mass effect, dragon age, borderlands, torchlight etc.. basicly games i know that are good or friend recommends

15+ Year Old Account
    i think the OP is 100% right, all these WoW players who are fully aware of all of Wow's core issues, unbalanced pvp for as long as i remember, and tonnes of other bugs, just can't accept that there is a possibility of a better game coming out, honestly it's Needed, WoW hasn't had decent competition in like ever, and the signs are starting to show of Blizzard's Laziness, it's getting worst, bad enough for me to try the Rift Beta, and honestly it's really awesome, since they are doing stress testing currently it's a bit laggy...but it's awesome regardless i could easily drop WoW for it.

but honestly the OP is right, the vast majority of WOW's playerbase is so scared of something better coming along and having the possibility to take away everything they earned in game....it's something these guys can't adapt to, hence why they are so quick to say it will be shit etc
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Deleted
    Some people are just completely averse to change. Personally I'll give new stuff a go if I fancy it but truth be told after playing WoW for 6 years I'm wary of starting a different MMO and getting into the same loop if you will

I think totalbiscuit said it best that unless a game can cover all areas of an MMO that WoW has managed to handle quite well, it will not happen. Why else would we still play a game with graphics from 5 years back? Let's say a game does do it? Okay fine... let it. I need a change.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarath View Post
    I just quit wow and my guild, and my account through 6 years with hundreds of days played across it, titles, mounts, everything i collected during the time...

RIFT here i come! a fresh game, a fresh guild, and a fresh start
    me too and im not looking back.........12 others in my old warcraft guild did the same

I totally agree with your theory, it makes sense. People don't like change.

Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega View Post
    I was pondering and a thought came to me.. are long time WoW players AFRAID of a new game?
    Honestly, I have to say I am afraid of a new MMO coming out and being better than WoW.

For example, I await Star Wars: The Old Republic with such hope...

but yet, at the back of my mind I know if they succeed, it will mean the end of my guild in WoW and the end of my "WoW social life".

Maybe it's not a bad thing. All things have to come to an end on this Earth, but I'm still a little scared and negative. I want to start over and experience new things more than anything, but I also don't want to have to leave what I worked so hard on behind.

But I will if I can.

As for new games in general, I go through periods where I say "Eff WoW" and play it obsessively for a week or two. Then when it's over, I go back. Mostly probably because of my husband.

Good post. Really made me think.
    Last edited by Xelestial; 2011-01-27 at 12:46 AM.

"I want a Tier that actually looks stereotypical.
    Hunter in camo; Rogue in ninja gear; Priest in a prison uniform - that sort of thing."

I care about nobody in WoW, and least of all my own character. I'd miss him if he were gone, but it wouldn't break my heart.

So no, I'm not afraid of new games.

BUT, WoW set my expectations, HIGH. It may be horridly broken in some ways, but it's still the largest, richest, most reliable and most persistent game of all. WoW's lore is lollore, and its stories are dumb as fuck. But a single-player game may tell a great story, and once you're done with it, it goes on a shelf. WoW remains and its story keeps going, dumb as it is.

Every MMO I tried so far, even my beloved City of Heroes, fell short of the depth and breadth that WoW offers. I'm GLAD those portals are gone. Sure, I grouse about it, but feeling the SIZE of the world and getting lost in it again is marvelous. I feel like I'm going places, there are very few invisible walls, and when I'm far away and my hearth is on cooldown, I feel like I'm a bloody long way away. No game replicated that feeling. Maybe Morrowind. Maybe.

WoW isn't like an abusive friend I got used to. Rather, it's a "gift that keeps on giving" after I get bored with other gifts. I still haven't seen everything because I take breaks and play very casually. There are still places that make me go "Whoa". Most other games don't have that.
    "The Patient? Well... maybe... the mental kind..."

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    Only afraid because well, Blizzard has kept me here for 5 or so years and if a came beats WoW well there's another 5+ years right there, I'm slowly falling away from WoW. I've been logging in a lot less as days go on. I really wouldn't mind another game, I already play other games not MMO's but I do play other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega View Post
    If you were a badass in WoW and then you go to another game, your nobody again.
    Isn't that also a factor?
    At the same time you can transfer servers and it equals out to the exact same thing. Sure you have your achievements, mount, gear and all of that vanity but you don't have your player renown. Now we see great players transferring all of the time to bigger and better guilds - granted some prestige will come with that new better guild - but still I don't think it really is much of a factor.

I think the scary part for an elite-player changing games is that they won't be good. However I find usually that is not the case - if you are good at your current game you can usually be successful in a different game of the same genre. In general I find if you're good at one game you have the capability to be good at almost all games yet that is not always the case so I won't claim it as definitive.
    Last edited by Yooya; 2011-01-27 at 01:14 AM.

Deleted
    I have tried a few MMOs and enjoyed them for varying periods of time.

Eve was good but basically tricks you into paying a subscription while you just wait for skill training to complete
    Warhammer PVP was very good but the lag was so bad when I used to play I just gave up.
    DDO had a very nice PVE element but the players were very impatient and the interface was terrible
    SWG was the first MMO I tried but the players were so unhelpful I gave up after a couple of hours
    Guild Wars was ok but it seemed you couldn't move and attack at the same time and the instanced outdoor areas were offputting
    All of the far eastern MMOs I have played feel like they are lacking within the first couple of hours of play.

I do not for one second hold The Old Republic up as some holy grail of MMOs but I know that Bioware will make a game that has a narrative so good that it will be playable for at least as long as the KOTOR games and Mass Effect. If for nothing but this it will be worth checking out.

To be honest I doubt I would still be playing WoW if I didn't get on really well with the people I raid with.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight90 View Post
    By the same philosophy, every time a new expansion comes out, the time you were playing the previous expansion were useless as well. Within a week or so, all of your past achievements are pointless and you've replaced all of your old gear. Nothing you achieved in that expansion really carries over apart from mounts etc, which can then be easily gained at a higher level. You may as well consider them separate games.

So, why is it any different with an expansion?

Personally, I play a game for fun. If it stops being fun, I stop playing it. Until that point, I don't consider any of it 'wasted'. Only once you're playing a game for the sake of playing it is your time / effort truly wasted.
    A new expansion != new game. A new game entails leaving it all behind, a new expansion takes place in the same game with familiar faces and environments, and a normal status.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

you know how you can call your brother an annoying prick, but if someone else does it, you feel like breaking both of their legs is step one to getting even?

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Penatar View Post
    Any game that comes out people from this community will hate. For example.

ME: I got this sweet puzzle game on my phone.
    Average mmo-champ poster: IT WILL NOT KILL WOW!!@!@()%)!@!! STOP SAYING IT WILLL!!@!@!@?!@#!@#!
    ME: I never said it will.
    Average mmo-champ poster: Because it won't
    ME: Okay then
    Average mmo-champ poster: Good, when will you idiots get it through your head that nothing will ever kill wow.
    You sire win a trophy, well said, very well said indeed
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"