Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Holy Priest going OOM on Cho'gall

    Our Holy Priest is iLevel 357 equipped. 3/33/5

    On Cho'gall (10 man) he 2 heals the fight with a Pally and requires 3 Innervates, Divine Hymn and Hymn of Hope.

    We're running into serious problems when we don't have a boomkin around, as he'll go OOM. I'm wondering if other Holy Priests with Cho'gall experience can comment. Is this normal for Holy Priests? Thanks.
    Last edited by Mehdi; 2011-01-27 at 02:38 AM.

  2. #2
    go 3 healer... problem solved.

  3. #3
    Make sure they use their shadowfiend in their rotation smartly.

  4. #4
    It's about managing CD's. Make your raid USE Lightwell. Shadowfiend early and use a pot and Lock Cookie ( if you have one ).

    Also, If he uses his Shadowfiend when it's off CD just before lust he'll get an extra ~15% mana returned or if he happens to have a haste trinket.
    Last edited by Urbi; 2011-01-27 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Editing is fun!

    Thanks to Amalisa for this great Sig!

  5. #5
    Why are you 2-healing one of the harder fights of the tier?

  6. #6
    Do you have a World of Logs link for the fight? would be insteresting to see.


    I also 2 heal Cho'gall 10 with a paladin healer, we have a boomkin, but i sure don't get any innervates out of it :/

    Mana on that fight IS tough, overall i learned i need to use my CDs effeciently. Shadowfiend VERY EARLY. It'll be up right at the start of phase 2 when it counts. I also have to use my Core of Ripeness on cooldown in order to be effective. Make sure to save Hymn of hope for the Second shadowfiend, also it should be poped just be for bloodlust as said. Flash heal is a no no on that fight, also, he should be using Prayer of Healing efficiently. Since cho'galls AoE WONT KILL PEOPLE unless he has a huge amount of stacks, or people have a huge amount of corrupted blood, he is able to Prayer of Healing once on each group, and wait for Echo and the Glyph to finish with their HoTs, then cast it on each group again. This will limit the overhealing, and overall improve mana.

  7. #7
    Ask your raid to avoid more dmg!

  8. #8
    Brewmaster Nørf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,449
    Why would you go with 2 healers on Cho'gall, it's just stupid.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørf View Post
    Why would you go with 2 healers on Cho'gall, it's just stupid.

    It's not really a hard healing fight~ damage throughout is fairly low. Also my group doesn't have strong AoE dps and the boomkin really helped take the adds down.

  10. #10
    Thanks for the advice so far, I'll work with our priest to see what the issue is. Esp hikamiro, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for!

    The underlining reason I am asking this is because he is having noticeably severe mana problems while our Pally does not. My main interest is to understand whether this should be expected or not. I'm sorry if this wasn't clear in my post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Optinium View Post
    go 3 healer... problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lecktor View Post
    Why are you 2-healing one of the harder fights of the tier?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørf View Post
    Why would you go with 2 healers on Cho'gall, it's just stupid.
    Have you folks done Cho'gall? The reason many if not most guilds 2 heal Cho'gall is because of the extra DPS required to kill him fast enough. The longer you extend the fight, the harder the fight gets. It is hardly "stupid".
    Last edited by Mehdi; 2011-01-27 at 05:26 AM.

  11. #11
    I 2 heal cho'gall as holy with a paladin as well. The point of 2 healing it is if you have less DPS, it shortens the fight and you can actually kill the boss before your healers run completely dry.

    Things my raid does:

    1. Put down a Soulwell near where the boss is tanked. Make sure everyone has a Healthstone at the start of the fight. The ENTIRE raid should use HS on the first shadow nova, and then pick up another from the Soulwell. The healers shouldn't have to heal this shadow nova at all.

    2. Use a lightwell. My whole raid clicks it on the second shadow nova, and healers don't have to heal that one either.

    3. We have a boomkin who pops tranquility, and an elemental shaman who occasionally drops a healing rain if it's needed.

    Things I do personally:

    Use Arcane Torrent/trinkets macro as soon as I hit 85% mana.
    Stay in Serenity Chakra until phase 2, then switch to Sanctuary.
    Use Heal on the tanks and anyone who takes a significant amount of damage. Obviously you need to use your other spells as well, but really try to stick with Heal and HW: Serenity. Avoid FH at all costs, use GH instead.

    DO NOT spam PoH after shadow novas in most circumstances. Use a CoH or just toss a PoM during the damage phase. The holy paladins cone of heals will top up the DPS and heal the tanks over time. DPS will also randomly do nice things like click the lightwell. You can top people up slowly using your most efficient spells, rather than worrying about getting everyone up to 100% right away.

  12. #12
    ^ what he said. People claiming that it's stupid are ridiculous. You really want to have as much dps as possible on this fight if you're 10man.

  13. #13
    Brewmaster Nørf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi View Post
    Have you folks done Cho'gall? The reason many if not most guilds 2 heal Cho'gall is because of the extra DPS required to kill him fast enough. The longer you extend the fight, the harder the fight gets. It is hardly "stupid".
    Yes, our highest dps was 14k, lowest was 10k last kill. I wouldn't go and call that impressive. Yet we kill him with 3 healers and 40 sec to enrage.
    The dps gotta truly suck which forces the healers to pick up on the slack if what you say is true. That is a stupid case.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørf View Post
    Yes, our highest dps was 14k, lowest was 10k last kill. I wouldn't go and call that impressive. Yet we kill him with 3 healers and 40 sec to enrage.
    The dps gotta truly suck which forces the healers to pick up on the slack if what you say is true. That is a stupid case.
    Our DPS ranged from 17k-11k on our two healed fight tonight.

    Just because something is different from what you are accustomed to does not mean it is stupid.

  15. #15
    It's definitely feasible with holy priest / paladin, though tough on mana. You'll want to use your CD's early when they'll first have full impact, and have them again to use before pushing into P2 so you can go into that phase fairly topped off. I'm the only druid in that run, so mine is the only innervate to give, but I do - weak as it is.

    If everyone is very aware of avoiding damage and keeps their count low, you don't have shadowbolts flying all over the place till very late in P2 if at all, and that definitely helps. As does everyone using their defensive CD's intelligently. Two-healing is definitely easier than three-healing imo, as the accelerated dps means a shorter fight, less time killing the adds in p2, likely another potential interrupt.

    Your ilvl is higher than our holy priest (I think she's at 352 or so) so I'm wondering about how your tanks gear for that fight... Mitigation is huge on Cho'gall. I sacrifice about 14-15k of health when tanking it in favor of picking up about 4k of armor from trinkets, and that in conjunction with a general focus on avoidance/mitigation in gearing over a focus on stam saves my healers a [i]lot[/] of mana.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Caetlan View Post
    Our DPS ranged from 17k-11k on our two healed fight tonight.

    Just because something is different from what you are accustomed to does not mean it is stupid.
    No, but he is right, just he went about saying it a rude way. This is not a healing intensive fight till P2. P1 is all about control. If DPS are making stupid mistakes such as slow killing the adds, getting hit by AoE or slow controlling the MCs, it just makes it that much worse for the healers.

    IMO, the council before hand is a much more difficult fight than Cho'gall. Our first night on him we 3-shot him compared to a day or two wiping on council.

  17. #17
    we run chogall with me as disc priest and a holy pala and we are having no mana troubles at all.

    pop your shadowfiend early so you can use it a 2nd time and time your trinkets + other cooldowns aswell and the boss is a walk in the park with 2 healers.

    just make sure your topping up the raid after shadow nova and that noone is taking extra dmg

  18. #18
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    I'm two healing it with a paladin as well, and besides what is said before I felt like topping off DPS isn't that important for half of the fight, so you can slowly heal them up, while you're focusing on the tanks.
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  19. #19
    Sometimes it's not the healers fault, sometimes the dps takes avoidable dmg, like shadow crashes and DPS being dumb and throwing up all over the raid on P3

  20. #20
    I wouldn't actually 2 man heal it until you're 100% of the fight. If people takes unavoidable damage it's a living proof of "bad" players and risking a boss kill for that is not worth it. 3 if you want to play it safe. If your ranged dps doesn't get the adds down fast enough, and you don't phase him quick enough and are overrun with adds then it's just to work your strategy out.

    Being reliant on 2 healers as well dps avoiding damage requiers precision and in this case it seems that your dps proooooobbbaaaabbbbllllyyyy don't avoid damage.

    Aside from that, it's doable and tell your priest he'll have PLENTY of time to heal up Shadow Nova. Managing CD's is very importante too, pots, fiend x2 + hymn along with innervate helps big time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •