Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Anonymous declares cyber war on Israel

An interesting article, I wonder if they worry about being targeted by the Mossad for assassination. It seems like there is a trend towards unaffiliated groups like Anonymous and Wikileaks playing more of a role on the world stage. It may even mean the breakdown of power being centralized in the hands of the major media corporations that have shaped public opinion for decades.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/19/tech/w...html?hpt=hp_c2
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

It's hard to take Anonymous seriously when all they do is DDOS and injection attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It's hard to take Anonymous seriously when all they do is DDOS and injection attacks.
    They're coming for you next!

If you'd read the article, you'd know that that's not actually what they're doing. Still, it's hard to argue that what they are doing is too much more effective, so far.

It's not about how they do it. It's about what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    If you'd read the article, you'd know that that's not actually what they're doing. Still, it's hard to argue that what they are doing is too much more effective, so far.
    I read the article, and that's exactly they're doing.

And how can anyone know if wikileaks and anonymous are themselves genuine and not just another face of those media corporations? Just reemphasising the thought which I'm sure many others have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium
    Cause here on the forums If a troll trolls a troll the troll trolling the troll still gets banned for trolling.

Deleted
    Thats bloody brave of them, Israel will do a little more than send them a harsh email if they get caught.

I read the article, and that's exactly they're doing.
    Did you miss the part where they leaked passwords and deleted databases? I mean, I could be wrong, but I don't think those are 404s. But, like I said... not too much more effective.

If Anonymous is going to do anything important in this war, it'll probably have to be a carefully timed cyberattack coordinated with a physical attack. The nature of their current attacks has only a very short window of effectiveness and no real permanence at all, but that could be incredibly effective if they were willing to coordinate with an actual military.

Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    Did you miss the part where they leaked passwords and deleted databases?
    Do you even know what an injection attack is?

Example: Here's one kind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_injection

Using this, one can gain control over a database and delete, query, and update pretty much at will.

It makes you wonder how non-affiliated groups stack up against the hackers being trained by the military.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Deleted
    I like them doing this kind of stuff. But one has to wonder, it has never at any point put pressure on goverments and it never will.

On top of that they only take down the public websites, the websites the governments use they can't even access them from outside.

They should keep themselves busy with catching cyberbullies, because in that department they could actually help a lot of people.

But after all, they aren't that noble.

Oh hey, I'm on the same side with Anonymous for a change. Still disagree with their methods, but suddenly a little harder to maintain a dislike...

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Oh hey, I'm on the same side with Anonymous for a change.
    Why? If Canada started firing rockets into the USA you could be sure there would be a military response.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Thats bloody brave of them, Israel will do a little more than send them a harsh email if they get caught.
    You mean when. Israel isn't a pushover like other countries. You can have millions of proxies to hide your identity eventually it will lead back to you.

I bet Israel are quaking in their boots.

Those guys will be looking over their shoulder for black motorcycles the rest of their lives if they get identified, the Israelis don't have any scruples about what their secret intelligence is and is not allowed to do...

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy Anon took down some websites through DDOSing. Oh no, stop the war now. This is getting insane.

/sarcasm

I don't think a single person takes Anon seriously anymore when they talk about big goals like cyberwarfare on Israel. Tell you what Anon, we'll take you seriously and walk in fear of your computer power when you take control of the missiles Israel is launching into Gaza or blow them up in their storage areas. You know, actual acts of cyber warfare with real consequences, not denial of service attacks or password leaks that are at worst inconveniences with zero real impact in making a company stop bombing another. I am staunchly anti-Israel, but this is pointless and isn't even worth giving them a tiny spotlight.

Deleted
    Like the war on Swedish goverment? They DDosed a couple of sites. Not much happened.

Getting pretty sick of the media cover Anon gets. They aren't doing anything useful anyway.

I think this quote from the article sums up the majority of posters' views here perfectly:

"Today, Anon lacks the talent and semi-cohesion it once boasted across the net, and its most recent online crusade is an embarrassing reminder," Sam Biddle wrote for Gizmodo on Monday. "This is less a war than the hacker equivalent of egging someone's house and then smoking weed behind a Denny's."

Why? If Canada started firing rockets into the USA you could be sure there would be a military response.
    While very true, I find this to be a gross oversimplification of what's happening. That situation is a complete mess to the point that I can't even take a side anymore. Both sides make mistakes and everyone loses.

@OP: You can't really call Anon unaffiliated as they have now taken a side in this conflict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    He doesn't need a source to know that he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.” - Christopher Hitchens