Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotfish View Post
    Through PVP, instead of relying on RNG/luck, you MAKE your own luck .
    Hotfish - Frost Mage - Kil'Jaeden

I laughed hard.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Loot is not fun. Loot is shiny.
    Pearls are shiny, but they're not fun.

Encounters are challenging. Challenges are fun.
    Fun equals moderate challenge.

That's basically what went through my head.

i raid mostly because:
    - love playing with many friends and the ts chaos when something goes wrong
    - enjoy pve and dislike pvp.

gear is just a reward for the time spent raiding.

Btw, what is so fun about killing NPCs that have been pre-programmed? Doesn't it feel like you're following a script written by Blizzard?
    edit: not an attack against you but against the reason you posted. the fact bosses do some abilities on cd, or you can predict the phases before the fight doesn't mean that players cannot f*** up encounters. the major difficulty in both PvP and PvE is the human playing. and it goes againts you every time, just in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelos View Post
    How is PvP gear better than PvE gear? PvP gear is for PvP and PvE gear is for PvE, you really cant compare them. GL going heroic modes with your amazing PvP purples..
    edit2: (lol) i posted a detailed explanation in another thread, but i'll try to be shorter here. as for weapons, most of the time you want them for damage and primary stats and PvP ones have plenty of them. for rest of the gear, you need to check if it's an upgrade, also now set bonuses are really OP due to primary stats being much stronger than secondary stats.
    in the end, given the same ilvl, pve gear is better for pve, viceversa is not always true. if ilvls are different (pvp>pve) you need to do some math and look if the wasted resi budget is compensated by the other stats.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2011-01-27 at 10:54 AM. Reason: too much quotes not to ignore

Deleted
    If that is your reasoning: what is the point of levelling, of heroics, of PvP'ing and of playing WoW?

I'm very lore interested, which is one of the reasons I play this game. Lore is highly incorporated in the raids in WoW, and I like no better to explore lore than with my guild mates The joy of killing a boss you've spent weeks and weeks on cant be described, all the effort coming together. Itl always beat capping a flag in WSG any day imo.

Argh. This is not the hardest question to answer. Why do you play at all ? To have fun duh.

Raiding is fun, gear is a sidebonus.
    Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.

Deleted
    I don't get your logic at all.. please elaborate. The point of raiding is to kill stuff.. together with many other people. The loot gained is just so we can kill even more stuff beyond it.

I raid to "live" the lore. Fight creatures you've read about, obtain items that belonged to some Lore relevant personalities etc.

Also, I like spending time with 24 likeminded people to overcome challenges presented in a game. Yes, you could get the same out of sport but I'm lazy.

I raid to defeat encounters in the company of friends.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Um its fun to raid ?=P Seriously i find pve to be more fun than pvp, soo why pvp? sure i can get good epics faster, but theres is almost no challange =D

Btw, what is so fun about killing NPCs that have been pre-programmed? Doesn't it feel like you're following a script written by Blizzard?
    Because you know exactly that the boss is gonna target retard warlock #1 and wipe the raid for you right?

Deleted
    Epic weapons, equipment set bonuses, trinkets... all of these can be obtained through PVP and many of them, at the most basic level, are superior to gear from PvE and raids.
    I think you still have to understand how gear works.
    Or maybe you're just trolling, who knows.
    Last edited by mmocc0df39eaf6; 2011-01-27 at 10:53 AM.

You're wrong to assume that PvP items are superior to PvE items. PvP items are superior to PvE items when used for PvP and vice versa. PvP items are inferior to PvE items in raiding because they give up an essential PvE stat to make room for resilience which does absolutely nothing in a PvE situation.

Also in regards to your question: Raiding requires a different (didn't say better!) skillset than PvP and allows for a different (again, it doesn't say better!) sort of teamplay. It's a different gameplay style overall which you will probably come to recognize when you've raiding long enough.

I believe that, contrary to popular belief, most raiders do not raid for the epic lewts, which you seem to believe. I reckon it's the experience of overcoming a set difficult encounters with your mates which appeals to most people. Progress in PvE content feels much more rewarding compared to PvP as you 'unlock' more, different content the farther you get, whereas PvP is "basically" the same all the way up. (Do realize different players use different tactics in PvP and that every game is different, just stipulating that there's more 'overall' variety in PvE.) Also, PvE encounters contain game mechanics you don't see in PvP content, which I think appeals to a lot of players.

I think i speak for most raiders here when i say that we dont raid to get gear, we get gear so that we can raid.

Deleted
    its generally enjoyable, challeneging and if u have a great raid atmosphere it is very fun over vent

You had me going with the "no trolling fo reals" for a while there.

Deleted
    No, because the encounters are usually hard, you need a select team of 9/24 others to work with you to take down a boss. You need to discuss tactics and be persistant. These things are similar to PvP, but with Raiding you know the standard you need to be in order to take down a boss, it isn't just luck. You can do PvP and be absolutely awful at it and still have the Of the Alliance/Horde title, just from constantly putting a dot on a player, gain a kill, gain some honor and buy some gear, but that doesn't mean you're actually any good at PvP (unless of course your gear is gained through a high ranking arena team). PVE loot is a mark that you went, you saw, and you conquered. Bosses aren't as easy as 'pre-programmed', you may have an idea of what the boss may do, but you can't be certain to who, where and when, variables are constantly changing. Raiding often shows the persistence and adaptability of a player.

It is not intended to PVE in PVP gear and Blizzard already stated that they are going to reduce the base stats of PVP gear by 50% so people do not use it for PVE.
    This will go live in 4.0.6 so it is useless to spend hours getting PVP gear to PVE with. Raid gear will be better as it is intended to be.

What's this about getting better gear? If you want to PvP, you gear up for PvP, if you want to PvE, you gear up for PvE. The gear is very different, and having PvP gear for PvE for example, is not ideal.

Anyway, I raid because I enjoy playing with 10+ people and doing something together. I just feel like when you are progressing through a raid with a bunch of people in a guild, the bonding is much stronger than doing PvP. I like the lore-aspect of it as well. Whenever I PvP I feel like one of those 14-year old kids who scream over their headset because they got pwned in Call of Duty. It just doesn't appeal to me at all (which is why I don't play FPS games). I'm like the OP, just the other way around, I really cannot understand the point of PvP. There's no story involved. And if you are that into competitive PvP gameplay there are sure to better options for you out there?

Deleted
    Most ppl you play against in bgs are so bad that a pre-programmed npc would do it better.