Disc LF opinions on tree and glyphs for raiding

Hi everyone. I'm alli on a low pop server where not much raiding goes on at all; we're the 14th worst server in the US. I healed through the latter months of ICC and RS (downed LK 2 nights before the cata release), but haven't raided at all with any of the new content. As a result, I've got no practical awareness of my gem and talent point choices -- basically, if they suck or not for raiding purposes. I'm hoping to transfer to a higher pop server within the next few weeks in order to start having more opportunities for endgame playing. At this point, my gear is as good as it's going to get. I'd like to get some feedback on my spec and gear and how well they might fair (on paper, at least) in a raiding situation.

Armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...cuddley/simple

Firstly, I don't know what haste cap is but I'm at 921 and still feeling like that's a bit sluggish. So I reforged crit (which I have a lot of in my gear) to haste and also gemmed for +20 int/+20 haste. Second, not quite sure about the glyph situation. I use penance a lot so the lower CD helps. I also use renew a lot. Last, I don't know what to do about my talent choices in the holy tree. I put the 3 points into Darkness because of haste. Although I'm not really confident in the 1 point in Desperate Prayer, either. Maybe that would be better as another point in Divine Fury? I guess it should also be said that I'm not having OOM problems in dungeons unless there's a bad tank or DPS is standing in stuff.

If anyone has suggestions or CC, I'd love to hear it.
    Last edited by Katcall; 2011-01-27 at 04:54 AM.

Deleted
    Apologies for not giving direct feedback on your gear or providing a link to the post (I'm on my phone which makes it a hassle) but there is an excellent sticky on this forum that gives gear, talent and playing advise depending on how you prefer to heal.

I recommend giving it a read for the lowdown on tank and/or raid healing as disc

Quote Originally Posted by Bruen View Post
    Apologies for not giving direct feedback on your gear or providing a link to the post (I'm on my phone which makes it a hassle) but there is an excellent sticky on this forum that gives gear, talent and playing advise depending on how you prefer to heal.

I recommend giving it a read for the lowdown on tank and/or raid healing as disc
    Oh awesome. I hadn't even seen that all the times I've loaded the priest forum. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know if you're still looking for suggestions, but in my experience Train of Thought is fairly worthless, you really shouldn't be spamming Greater Heal for it to make a big difference. I would put the points into Inner Sanctum and fill that out, 4% reduced Spell Damage is a lot over time. Also, Veiled Shadows is one of my favorite talents, I don't know why so many people don't get it >_>

Quote Originally Posted by GoochamusPrime View Post
    Don't know if you're still looking for suggestions, but in my experience Train of Thought is fairly worthless, you really shouldn't be spamming Greater Heal for it to make a big difference.
    Sorry but that is just patently wrong. Greater Heal is your go-to single target heal as Disc, and using Inner Focus on CD w/ ToT makes Greater Heal even more efficient than Heal.

OP: Your talents in the Disc tree look fine. Drop Improved Renew and pick up 2/2 Inspiration. Desperate Prayer is also very weak right now, so you should drop that. Pretty much essential to pick up 3/3 in Divine Fury. That will leave you with 2 points to put into Shadow. For healing heroics, I'd stick with 2 pts in Darnkess. When you move to raids, I prefer to put those 2 points into Veiled Shadows. You will appreciate the extra Shadowfiend on longer fights.

Deleted
    Inspiration must have as Disc.

Don't know if you're still looking for suggestions, but in my experience Train of Thought is fairly worthless, you really shouldn't be spamming Greater Heal for it to make a big difference. I would put the points into Inner Sanctum and fill that out, 4% reduced Spell Damage is a lot over time. Also, Veiled Shadows is one of my favorite talents, I don't know why so many people don't get it >_>
    This is wrong. If you're using Inner Focus on cooldown with Greater Heal (I use a macro- but have the ability to also use PoH with IF if needed), over the long run with the way Train of Thought, Inner Focus, and Greater Heal operate together, this will become your go-to spell. You end up with nearly identical values of Heals Per Mana, but with around 260-280% greater throughput. What this actually means is you can do the same healing (health and mana cost wise) in much less time. In practice, it has given me at least 33% more time to respond to other situations.

Power Word Shield, (borrowed time), Penance (3x grace), IF (on cooldown) + Greater Heal (and repeat Greater heal as necessary to reduce IF cooldown) is your defacto tank heavy healing awesomeness (of course there are other methods).

The reason I never took veiled shadows (and I'm assuming a lot of other priests will agree with me on this one) is the cooldown on your shadowfiend is reduced from 5 mins to 4 mins. which sounds great at first. but let's apply it to a regular fight let's say you're in a fight for 8 mins and you're wise and pop your shadowfiend early (not too early to waste the mana gains) let's say for arguement sake this is around the 1 min mark. this means that at the 5 minute mark (with veiled shadows) you'll be using your shadowfiend again where as a priest who doesn't take it will use it at the 6 min mark.

if the fight only lasts 8 minutes your shadowfiend won't be off cooldown for another 60 seconds AFTER the fight is over. so regardless of taking the talent or not you're only going to be using your shadowfiend twice in an 8 minute fight. I'm not saying you're a fool for taking it, I'm just trying to shed some light on why a lot of priests prefer to use their 2 talents elsewhere.

http://wowtal.com/#k=vOwvXOYb.aei.priest.-jNbER -- Thats my spec and glyph suggestion.

Overall renew shouldn't be used a lot as holy, let alone disc.

Crit is going to be your top stat, with mastery for tank healing. For raid healing it'll be a haste / mastery mix.

If you want to do both effectively you're going to want to try and keep your stats fairly balanced.

As others have said. Tank healing, Greater Heal will be your go-to spell as long as you have 3 grace stacked. Only use shield for the rapture mana return, It is not efficient enough to spam on a group yet (And it might never be in Cata) As for Raid healing, PoM and PoH are great, expecially since PoH ALWAYS procs DA shields.