Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ogspider View Post
    i think your real problem is ur raiding with a combat rogue and a ret pally
    they are both pulling ~16k dps so their numbers arent a problem

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Only need one tank for Magmaw. Have the Druid try Balance perhaps?
    This. Just ensure that tank is topped before every Mangle and simply heal through it.

Another useful fact - targeted aoe spells don't have restrictions on which altitude do they work... For example, if you cast Hurricane, adds which fall from Pillar still receive damage despite the fact that they are actually above the cloud. Generally, if you cast AoE when adds touch the ground, well, you're already late. Notice that most directed aoe have delays. And here goes Hurricane again as an excellent example. You start channeling, cloud appears, but.. damage is applied about 1-2s after. Given that, especially that, you should always pop aoe as soon as you got away from the Pillar area. Boom, lava spits in the sky, then you target your doom right onto it. Also, you got a hunter, so lay Frost Trap. If switched by Shaman, tell him to drop Earthbind instead. Slow them and nuke, nuke, nuke. About FoK usability in this fight, hmm... Generally it's a better idea to let ranged handle the adds for obvious reasons. But if you are really behind with dps on adds, try to poke around with it. As soon as you don't go for achievement, which is actually pretty easy assuming that you got plenty of ranged, one or two parasites are not that bad. How to tell if the dps on adds is sufficient? You must handle them in a way which enables you to return to your position and perfectly execute another Pillar transition. If only you achieve this and no adds remain to subsequent Pillar, you're in a winning position.

Summarising, stick to your ranged group, stay on each other, do transitions between two spots to place Pillar in a place YOU want it. As soon you master it and melees come help you with adds, it's very good. Also, remember to ALWAYS leave one of your melees on boss, just to ensure that there will always be someone in melee range in case that tank is being Mangled over.
    Just tell your bear tank to respec into cat and stay on boss, kitty AoE is pretty much useless now.

Good luck and best wishes on killing Magmaw!

Quote Originally Posted by ZABANNITH View Post
    thx for the fast replys

well until recentely the mage had no computer.. so we were having another melee in there .. so just the 1 ranged for the majority of trys .

may have bear go cat (shes got resto offspec)
    ret pally DS is useless for the most part and dont even mention conscrete thats 50% mana with 1 cast
    survival hunter hasent been tested out yet (because he was using his ele shammy)

the groups pretty much set in stone unfournately.. so recruiting a dk or another ranged is outa the question
    Resto gear is the same as boomkin..
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HavokHeart View Post
    Resto gear is the same as boomkin..
    Not entirely. Different priorities, reforge itp. Not counting T11 set of course :P So no, it's not like clicking Activate Secondary Spec and you're ready to rock.

I don't think that the best idea in his case is to order FERAL druid wear his OFFSPEC RESTO gear only to go as BOOMKIN only to dps adds. It's wrong way actually.

Get the rogues to tot the hunter and spam fok on the adds (combat+cds+killing spreed too).

"We 1 tank 3 heal 7 dps it"

LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    This. Just ensure that tank is topped before every Mangle and simply heal through it.
    You don't even need to do that, really.
    The other tank is a Prot Paladin. You can cast any spell you want while Magmaw is chewing on you.
    You can also attack his exposed head up top, to generate Holy Power.

Simply put, you can heal yourself while up there, although you'll probably need some help.

Make your druid tank go dps, or replace him for another if you can, then have entire raid stacking up behind magmaw, and have your survival hunter kiteing the worms, magmaw will drop as a stone.
    IGN Joe FC: 1908 - 0405 - 5213

Deleted
    Just go back to 2 tanks. Stack the whole raid in melee range, and 1 tank a 30-35ish range and have him tank the adds.
    And only DPS magmaw, its a really simple tank n´spank in that way And yes have done it like that 3 times now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    You don't even need to do that, really.
    The other tank is a Prot Paladin. You can cast any spell you want while Magmaw is chewing on you.
    You can also attack his exposed head up top, to generate Holy Power.

Simply put, you can heal yourself while up there, although you'll probably need some help.
    Yeah, right. In pala case it is indeed the solution, but overall, stick to these two rules and one-man tanking is easy as pie.

Have a DK spec frost with Howling Blast and Chilblains and have him drop DnD when adds come out. Howling Blast in Blood Presence and just kite the adds around. All dps stay on the boss and ignore the adds. DK continues to kite the worms for the entire fight.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakthan View Post
    Just go back to 2 tanks. Stack the whole raid in melee range, and 1 tank a 30-35ish range and have him tank the adds.
    And only DPS magmaw, its a really simple tank n´spank in that way And yes have done it like that 3 times now.
    Actually I tried it, but: hunter needs a few yards spare. Also, when half of the room is set in flames, transition must be executed PERFECTLY, if one of them goes a little too far and accidentally gets a pillar, umm... Yeah. It is theoretically easier, because only one person is dealing with pillar, but... I think that it is absolutely unnecessary attitude, also you're wasting the time on dpsing adds while running back to your Pillar-dodger

Deleted
    Actually I tried it, but: hunter needs a few yards spare. Also, when half of the room is set in flames, transition must be executed PERFECTLY, if one of them goes a little too far and accidentally gets a pillar, umm... Yeah. It is theoretically easier, because only one person is dealing with pillar, but... I think that it is absolutely unnecessary attitude, also you're wasting the time on dpsing adds while running back to your Pillar-dodger
    It is easyer. Alot, plus alot quicker.
    And as far as i know u dont get a piller while theres steam. (Hes making steam)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakthan View Post
    It is easyer. Alot, plus alot quicker.
    And as far as i know u dont get a piller while theres steam. (Hes making steam)
    Yeah, it should be like that. But I have experienced two times when steam went off and - all of a sudden - unscheduled Pillar! I don't use any mods myself, but I heard that Pillar occurred OFF the timer. Timer ends properly, because there shouldn't be any Pillar in steam subphase, but surprise! Timer disappears, everyone relaxed and BOOM! So it's actually possible that you'll experience it at the very beginning of Ignition.

Deleted
    After some stupid derp wipes this week after a perfect execution on first try last week I swapped back to my main protection spec (I am a warrior) and tanked the damn adds. It's a pretty foolproof way and even without Victory Rush it should make the whole add kiting thing very trivial. We're most probably going do that next week too since there is absolutely no way the adds can hit anyone else except the tank that way. It wasn't even too slow with one less dps since I did huge amounts of damage to the adds with all the vengeance and let the ranged dps dps the boss more since they got away with less aoe and FAR less running around (ie the same amount as melee does).

You could even do some tank swapping for mangle or something if you want to be really pro with it since you have two tanks up, but it's really not needed.
    Last edited by mmoc4515b91cb7; 2011-01-27 at 11:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it should be like that. But I have experienced two times when steam went off and - all of a sudden - unscheduled Pillar! I don't use any mods myself, but I heard that Pillar occurred OFF the timer. Timer ends properly, because there shouldn't be any Pillar in steam subphase, but surprise! Timer disappears, everyone relaxed and BOOM! So it's actually possible that you'll experience it at the very beginning of Ignition.
    AFAIK, the steam happens right after the tank gets mangled, and people are supposed to jump on his back. If the people on his back are too slow on the 2nd transition to get the chains down, he will cast a flame pillar right then and there, which is very annoying since like you said its with steam up, and you get adds during exposed phase which is really annoying :P. TLR, make sure your chain clickers are fast.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, some advice man. Sit at least one melee if not two and bring in pugs.

Deleted
    Sit the ret pala , rouge has decent aoe to help with adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Devylknyght View Post
    "We 1 tank 3 heal 7 dps it"

LOL
    Very easy doable , doing it every week , hunter frost trap + lock with hellfire takin aggro on them. Never had problems so far.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simsons2 View Post
    Very easy doable , doing it every week , hunter frost trap + lock with hellfire takin aggro on them. Never had problems so far.
    Wow. That's crazy! How do you down Magmaw with 11 people in a 25 man raid? Or, maybe, how do you fit 11 people into a 10 man?

Wild man! You guys are ridiculously good I guess.

Oops, edited, hehe. Maths is hard.

But yeah the hunter+ multi shot kite strategy is what did it for us. We first went into magmaw undergeared, not fully gemmed/enchanted etc, and range aoe was just not enough to kill them. Then our hunter suggested that he just kite all the adds, and it worked. We 2 shot it with him doing that for our first kill.