Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Time to Spend Some Tax Refund

So, my tax refund will be here in a week or two. I should be able to peel out a few hundred dollars for some upgrades. I'm torn on which to get, though. My options are:

1. SSD - $200-ish - nice quality of life upgrade
    2. Second LCD - $150-200 - I find myself alt-tabbing a lot during raids (downtime between bosses, etc) and asking myself "who just said that on Vent?" a lot. Having browser/vent on a second monitor would solve these issues.
    3. Video Card - $250 - Upgrading to a GTX 560 would let me give my 5770 to my wife to upgrade her 8800 GTS G92, but wouldn't give me much improvement in the games I play most.
    4. Upgrading to an i5 2500K - ~$425 - If I upgrade my system to an i5 2500K, then my wife could inherit my i5 750 and my webserver could inherit her E8500 (up from a P4). It would essentially be upgrading 3 computers for a bit over $400... but it's also the most costly option.
    5. Other - Any other ideas?

Obviously, I'm leaning toward the i5 2500K if the budget allows. Even if it does, though, I need to convince the wife to let me do it. In any case, what are your thoughts? Do you see any one option as being better than the other? I always like to get as many opinions as possible before making a decision. You never know when someone will make that one good point that changes your view.

[edit: I think I've made up my mind that I will choose option 4 if money allows. So, I'm changing the initial post to pose the question assuming that budget doesn't allow for that upgrade. So let's ignore option 4 for now.]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-01-27 at 07:26 PM.

Would say 1+2 or 4. Both are over few hundred, but nice in their own way. Going with 1+2 option also allows picking up cheap-ass parts (60GB SSD and secondary monitor instead of new primary) to bring price down a bit and making it more viable without sacrificing much of the functionality.

Option 4 sounds like a good idea to get all three computers updated, but after option 3 it gives the least direct benefit and most work when you have to tear apart 3 computers for motherboard swapping.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Second monitor imo. I can't live without two myself.

You know my stance on SSD's.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Graphics card and 2nd monitor for sure. Both options seem helpful to both you and your wife !

I'm building an almost $2,000 Computer with my Taxes. I should have my refund next Friday. Can't wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    This is good, be a man about it.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.
    Mists of Pandaria Beta Club ~World of Warcraft Annual Pass.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    4. Upgrading to an i5 2500K - ~$425
    Which motherboard are you planning to get with your CPU? I'm seeing combo deals for ~$390 on Newegg, would you consider a 6950 2GB version from the savings you made from the initial budget you left for your CPU+Mobo?

Combo deals are with the ASUS Pro and the MSI GD65 (another $20 mail in rebate with the MSI board).
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2011-01-27 at 07:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    Which motherboard are you planning to get with your CPU? I'm seeing combo deals for ~$390 on Newegg, would you consider a 6950 2GB version from the savings you made from the initial budget you left for your CPU+Mobo?

Combo deals are with the ASUS Pro and the MSI GD65 ($20 mail in rebate with the MSI board).
    I was looking at either the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 or Asus P8P67-LE. Both are around $130. CPU for $225. Then 4GB DDR3 for $65. I need the RAM, since my wife's is DDR2 currently. For the inherit to work, I'd need the extra set. Newegg currently has no LGA 1155 combo deals that I can find.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-01-27 at 07:12 PM. Reason: The LE Asus, not the M.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've had a second monitor myself, and like you said it would be nice to know who's talking on vent sometimes, but I really didn't use it for anything other than that. I have access to ... four 23" monitor's just from my desk here at work and I have only 1 hooked up because I've never really seen the need for more than that. It's more of a novelty upgrade IMO as opposed to a performance upgrade like the others.

Personally, 4 is my fav. I'm waiting on SSD's to go down in price a bit before I consider one as I'd be getting a larger one (120-250GB).
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

I LOVE my second monitor, especially during raids like you mentioned I don't have to alt tab to read a boss strategy. It's also nice to be able to change music / see vent / check the weather, etc. The few times I've had to run two WOW clients it has also been great.

There are some quality monitors on sale at Newegg now for ~130-150 range if you want it to be 1080p. If you want to add an SSD for that, Newegg has the Crucial C300 SATA III 64GB drive on sale for $100 right now, which is enough for windows + WOW + a little left over

I am honestly waiting for the new Intel Socket (yet again) that is coming late this year, or maybe the new AMD stuff.

If your wife plays any games or WOW with you, #4 would be nice for both!

Deleted
    Second monitor, then SSD, then GPU.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumic View Post
    If your wife plays any games or WOW with you, #4 would be nice for both!
    She does play WoW with me, however, she went back to college starting this month and it has destroyed her raid schedule. She won't believe me when I say that raid > school, but oh well. So, really, she doesn't need the upgrade, but when are upgrades bad? Plus my webserver would love another core.

The more I type, the more it seems I've already made up my mind. It's like I'm just trying to convince myself at this point. So I guess we'll modify the original question. If the budget/wife allows, obviously the i5 2500K is the best path based on three computers being upgraded for $400-450 (the physical work of tearing down and rebuilding the towers doesn't bother me vesseblah... in fact, I usually enjoy it). So let's modify the original question to assume the budget/wife does not allow $450, thereby removing option 4.

Thanks for all the suggestions/input!
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-01-27 at 07:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    I was looking at either the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 or Asus P8P67-M. Both are around $130. CPU for $225. Then 4GB DDR3 for $65. I need the RAM, since my wife's is DDR2 currently. For the inherit to work, I'd need the extra set. Newegg currently has no LGA 1155 combo deals that I can find.
    Ahh my assumption was that price you listed did not include RAM. What a shame indeed! However, there is a combo deal going on with Gigabyte's board and bought with this RAM, should bring the price down to ~ $385. Plus G.Skill's website claimed to have tested on Gigabyte's board if that should sway your decision.

Honestly, I would kill for a Newegg here in the UK. I'm simply amazed at the choice you guys get.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    Ahh my assumption was that price you listed did not include RAM. What a shame indeed! However, there is a combo deal going on with Gigabyte's board and bought with this RAM, should bring the price down to ~ $385. Plus G.Skill's website claimed to have tested on Gigabyte's board if that should sway your decision.

Honestly, I would kill for a Newegg here in the UK. I'm simply amazed at the choice you guys get.
    I was looking at the 1600MHz version of that same RAM (CL7 Ripjaw) for $10 more. It's not a huge boost, though, so I can use it to trim a little off. Looking a bit deeper, I'm seeing where you're finding the combos now. One good one that I saw had a P8P67 PRO with i5 2500K for $390. Add the $55 RAM and it's $445 for a better motherboard. Otherwise, I can go with the one you saw that had the GA-P67A-UD3 with i5 2500K for $330, bringing it to $385 with the RAM. Oh, the choices.

I'd have to agree the cpu upgrade would likely be the best. SSD's are nice and all, hell I love mine. But compared to the others it really isn't worth it, as you pointed out ^,^

The LCD isn't a bad plan, but overall it nets you no performance and doesn't benefit your family unit as a whole, similar for the gpu, minus the lack of performance and inheriting ease of access issues.

Any who, you know what you're doing! Go with your gut and you know that.

I think the second monitor would be what I would go for outside of a SB. If you wait a bit you'll be able to get a larger SSD and a better performing one for cheaper, and as you said the GPU won't net you much benefit. Not that the monitor gives you much benefit either I suppose, but I just love to have my second monitor around when I've been able to have 2.

Dual monitors ftw. I can't imagine ever going back to one. Playing on a laptop or someone else's computer makes me feel trapped inside the game.

Deleted
    There is also the combo deals based on ASRock's Extreme 4's Mobo as well. The cheapest RAM and Mobo deal i've seen is at ~$198. This should bring these purchases inline with your original budget. I'm sure you've done your research on this Mobo, but here's a quote from your favourite site.

If ASRock are really able to get this board out for $150, we have a really nice offering here. Compared to a couple of other boards I have tested this week, I'm liking this ASRock board more and more. It looks OK, it performs well, and the box contains that nice USB bracket. A lot of people would be quite happy with this motherboard if it performs as it did on our test bed. We're not ready to crown the champion P67 board just yet, but the ASRock P67 Extreme4 is definitely a contender.

Oh, the choices indeed!

Edit: I see you've made your choice.

Well ignoring option 4, in all honesty all other options seem to pale in comparison. I'd be stuck with 4. Sod it, I could live with alt-tabbing, slightly longer load times and decent visuals if I had a brand new platform that has been proven to perform brilliantly(and a happy smiling wife ofcourse).
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2011-01-27 at 08:00 PM.

2 screens would probably be best. Until I busted out the GF's old monitor from the depths of the closet, I was using a laptop for my 2nd screen and IDK why I've been doing such a terrible task of managing two keyboards/mice to do all that I want while not having to minimize my game. Definitely worth it.

The SSD is more of a lux item. You don't need it, but it's nice to have. WoW will have little performance upgrades from a SSD except for initial loading times, so unless you have other programs that hunt for items on the HDD a lot (i.e. PS, or a video program) you may not need it unless you're looking for the best performance.

Graphics card would be the top option if you didn't have 1 monitor IMO just for all of the obvious reasons to upgrade it.

CPU, obviously, but you already picked that one.

just got my tax return today in the bank....im honestly trying NOT to have a spaz attack and nerd out with it >.>

15+ Year Old Account
    I forgot about another heatsink. Well, it looks like I can put together the ASRock P67 Extreme4 and Patriot Gamer 2 4GB 1333MHz Combo with the i5 2500K and CM Hyper 212 Plus Combo. Grand total with shipping would be $447.19 with a $10 mail-in rebate (woohoo?).

I'd probably put the Patriot RAM in my wife's computer with my current i5 750 and keep the G.Skill 1600MHz RAM that I current have to go with the i5 2500K. Not sure whether I'd use the CM Hyper 212 Plus or the Xigmatek Dark Knight on the new CPU. Decisions, decisions.

Now to check the budget and try to convince her to give me $450.