Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Now to check the budget and try to convince her to give me $450.
    Thats the hard part. I'm trying to convince my missus to buy a HDD so I can put together my old PC so that she can use it for WoW, its gonna be alot better than her current crappy macbook. No mac diss intendet but specwise its a lowend mac
    Quote Originally Posted by overcaffeinated View Post
    I don't get why people like you feel they need to chime in and tell the OP how useless his post was. If it was that useless why did you spend your 2 minutes to craft a response instead of 2 seconds to hit your "back" button?
    I7-4770K, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, SLI EVGA GTX780Ti, AX1200, Kingston V300 240GB, watercooled!

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Do you expect to get $450 and steady sex for a while? Cause you might be screwed. (pardon the pun).
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Do you expect to get (..) steady sex for a while? Cause you might be screwed. (pardon the pun).
    .. Honestly, who would choose sex over computers? -_-'

Personally, I'm questioning whether the i5 -> i5 will be a decent enough performance-boost. Oh, by no means do I expect nothing to change - but enough to warrant 450~USD? OTOH, you are upgrading three computers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Personally, I'm questioning whether the i5 -> i5 will be a decent enough performance-boost. Oh, by no means do I expect nothing to change - but enough to warrant 450~USD? OTOH, you are upgrading three computers.
    Yeah, I don't expect any huge gains with the i5 -> i5 upgrade, but my wife's E8500 -> i5 will be a decent jump and my server's P4 -> E8500 will be a really nice jump. The $450 for the i5 -> i5 alone wouldn't even be an option.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I don't expect any huge gains with the i5 -> i5 upgrade, but my wife's E8500 -> i5 will be a decent jump and my server's P4 -> E8500 will be a really nice jump. The $450 for the i5 -> i5 alone wouldn't even be an option.
    Yeah, the 3 computer upgrades really makes that a much better deal than it looks at first doesn't it.

I almost want to do it myself, but it wouldn't be as significant...

Tower: Phenom II X4 955 -> i5 2500K
    Main server: C2D E8400 -> Phenom II X4 955
    ISA server: Pentium E5200 -> C2D E8400

Deleted
    i wouldnt go for option 2. There is an option in vent, that allows you to view the name that is speaking on the screen.
    So whenever someone activates his mic, you will see that name appear in the top of the screen. Really handy and not worth $150 imo.

i would go for an SSD, that is the best speed upgrade that you can buy .

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LoithFrostmane View Post
    i wouldnt go for option 2. There is an option in vent, that allows you to view the name that is speaking on the screen.
    So whenever someone activates his mic, you will see that name appear in the top of the screen. Really handy and not worth $150 imo.

i would go for an SSD, that is the best speed upgrade that you can buy .
    What a second monitor does for me:
    - See vent and who's talking/connecting/what channels they are in.
    - See what's playing on Winamp.
    - See who's online on Steam/IM, and who's talking to me, who sends me a new message, etc.
    - Can watch movies, tv, hockey while playing WoW.
    - Have a full perspective window separate from linear views (top/front/side) in 3DS Max/Maya
    - Plug it into PS3 to watch BluRay or play games without leaving tower with no monitor.

What an SSD does for me:
    - Decreases boot times by a few seconds (unnoticable due to really long POST time, and the fact that I rarely reboot)
    - Decreases WoW load times by a few seconds.
    - Makes space management once again a pain in the ass due to actually having to pay attention to free space on C:\ again.

15+ Year Old Account
    All of what Asera said... and the Ventrilo Overlay is horrendously coded and horrific to look at. I also don't really want to lose that much screen real estate while raiding. I keep a fairly clean UI and don't need a huge chunk taken out of the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    What a second monitor does for me:
    - See vent and who's talking/connecting/what channels they are in.
    - See what's playing on Winamp.
    - See who's online on Steam/IM, and who's talking to me, who sends me a new message, etc.
    - Can watch movies, tv, hockey while playing WoW.
    - Have a full perspective window separate from linear views (top/front/side) in 3DS Max/Maya
    - Plug it into PS3 to watch BluRay or play games without leaving tower with no monitor.
    I don't know about you other guys, but I'm convinced what my next upgrade will be.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    I don't know about you other guys, but I'm convinced what my next upgrade will be.
    Reading that makes me realize just how much I miss having 2 monitors at the moment

15+ Year Old Account
    So I talk to my wife about our upgrade options last night. This morning she IMs me asking if I'd be more interested in a new flat screen TV for the living room. /sigh

So I talk to my wife about our upgrade options last night. This morning she IMs me asking if I'd be more interested in a new flat screen TV for the living room. /sigh
    Only if you can hook the PC up to it!