Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Jewelcrafting: No love lost, no love found...

Anyone else notice that Jewelcrafters are the only profession that cannot farm their patterns? Every other crafting profession uses the materials their profession uses to purchase their patterns. Jewelcrafters are stuck using tokens, even worse is that we can only get one token per day, three tokens per blue cut (four per epic if the format from wrath follows). Meaning it will be months before I will be done with the blue cuts, let alone the epic ones when they come out.

In wrath we at least had titanium dust, which was garbage in itself for reasons I am not going to go into now unless asked.

Now, I understand the arguement about "but people will always need new gems for new gear or re-gem when they re-spec", but the same can be said about enchanting. What do enchanters use? Shards of course, so a heavy weekend of heroics in a premade, and one could learn almost all of the enchants. JC? nope, 6+ month daily grind for you.

What needs to happen is that practically useless JC supply NPC next to the daily quest giver needs to sell JC tokens for the price of 5 uncut blue quality gems (ie 6 tokens each one being sold for a different gem color), that way a full stack of blue quality gems would eventually equal one epic cut. That way we would be able to farm our patterns, but at the same time it would still be somewhat costly and time consuming to farm (getting a full stack of blue qual gems isnt exactly a quick thing to do).

Be it the suggestion above or something else, until jewelcrafting gets a way to farm their cuts, it feels we are being left outside and are getting the cold shoulder.

Do a search on this very forum for a similar gripe not too long ago. The simple answer? Characters with JC are so ubiquitous they had to limit how quickly they could gain patterns.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope nobody has ever noticed it, ever. But in all seriousness, like the last person said, if JC patterns were farmable/buyable, it would take almost no time for nearly every JCer to have every cut, due to the fact that any JCer who knows what their doing has plenty of gold to spend. This would lead to even more competition, and it would quickly stop being the tremendously prosperous profession that it is today.

BTW JC is only profession which have no epic crafts )

JC will have epic crafts when epic gems come out. Until then, the profit margins are much smaller. Oh boy I cant wait for epic gems!
    85: Paladin | Druid | Shaman | Warlock | Death Knight | Mage | Hunter | Rogue | Warrior | Priest

We have epic BOP gems you are wrong. And in time well have epics gems also.

Engineering has no BOE epic to make either. They get a BOP helm just as JC's get BOP gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Nume View Post
    it would quickly stop being the tremendously prosperous profession that it is today.

Wait, what? Prosperous? You're too funny.

Jewelcrafting is an o.k. profession to make money from but it is by far prosperous.

Just too funny.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post

Jewelcrafting is an o.k. profession to make money from but it is by far prosperous.

Just too funny.
    Yeah thats why a guy in my guild made 40k gold in a week by buying ores of the AH and prospecting it then selling gems.

thats why you should save up evry JC token you get since we already know that if cata JC fallows the same road wrath did you will be buying the epic cuts with tokens, if you do this you will have most of all the epicc cuts available in no time and can make you gold faster

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm...I got like 2 designs drop for me recently. For greens though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post

Just too funny.
    Lol its not prosperous? Maybe if you dont know what you're doing and/or if your server economy sucks... I stopped playing for 1.5 years at the end of wrath and my account was hacked, so when I started up in Cata I had literally 100g and only nonsellable gear. I also had mining/herbing but fortunately blizzard was able to revert my professions back to JCing/BSing (and no I didnt go mine/herb a bunch to make money first). I now have a sandstone drake, boe epic chest, spent tons on random various things, bought epic flying on an alt, and just have had no issues with gold whatsoever (have like 17k right now) and I dont farm, at all, ever. Its basically all from JCing. So yeah, tell me how its not properous again?

Quote Originally Posted by Exera View Post
    Yeah thats why a guy in my guild made 40k gold in a week by buying ores of the AH and prospecting it then selling gems.
    Stop lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Exera View Post
    How much did he invest in ore to make 40k?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

I'm not a JC, but doesn't miniting the recipes this way (as others have said/hinted at) actually increase your profitability? While you can get just about any +40 cut from any JC, I have to hunt around quite a bit to find certain combinations of +20/+20 gems, simply because there are so many.

All servers are different obviously, but currently solid 40 stats are a only 20g profit from uncuts, however 20/20's are nearly double. It's similar to how ammunition was when the ICC recipes were introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by cabreil View Post
    We have epic BOP gems you are wrong. And in time well have epics gems also.

Engineering has no BOE epic to make either. They get a BOP helm just as JC's get BOP gems.
    Engineering gets a Glove Tinker with no chance of failure, which is the equivalent to the Chimera's Eye cuts. Engineering also gets a BOP helm that is near guaranteed to be best-in-slot for just about any class.

Jewelcrafters do get the short straw for following reasons:
    - Only profession that cannot farm for recipes
    - Only profession forced to buy world drop BOE recipes from AH
    - Only profession to have no self-craftable gear worth a damn (except for crappy trinkets)
    - Only profession where the bonus depends on wearing socketed gear and competes with the activation of Meta Gems and socket bonus'.

It's still awesome though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezeyu View Post
    I'm not a JC, but doesn't miniting the recipes this way (as others have said/hinted at) actually increase your profitability? While you can get just about any +40 cut from any JC, I have to hunt around quite a bit to find certain combinations of +20/+20 gems, simply because there are so many.

All servers are different obviously, but currently solid 40 stats are a only 20g profit from uncuts, however 20/20's are nearly double. It's similar to how ammunition was when the ICC recipes were introduced.
    Yep, this is also why JCing profitability was extremely high for the first few weeks while you could have at most 1-2 competitors if you bought the right patterns. Now its getting to where many people have each pattern, so profits are definitely dropping, but it is still a profitable profession if you manage everything correctly, such as finding ore when it is very cheap, and turning all gems into profit (through selling on dailies, crafting/DEing, or occasionally transmuting if the prices are right), not just blues.

Deleted
    well technicaly inscribers cant make epics either. we can make a quest item that gives us the darkmoon card but have you seen the mats for that ?
    with the price of herbs at the moment and the low droprate of burning ember from milling cata herbs. i mean you need all 8 darkmoon cards to get a set to get the epic trinket. every time you make a darkmoon card of destruction you get a random card (random nr and random family so 4 different family's and 8 different cards inside the same family) per card you need 30 volatile life, 10 inferno ink's and 1 resilient parchment. per inferno ink you need 2 burning embers and per berning ember (if you are lucky) you need 5 herbs, but since its a rare drop from milling cata herbs it can happen that you mill 20 twilight jasmin and still only have ashen pigment drop.
    in othther words you need a minimum of 40 stacks of 20 cata herbs to get enough burning embers to make the ink, 240 volatile life, and 8resilient parchment to get 8 random cards that if you are lucky can trade with other players to compleet your set. all of that for 1 epic that you'll probably be able to replace once the next tier patch comes out.

Given that our "gated" approach also earns us money per day, 0 AH fees or listings or competition... I'll take it. =P

MY gripe is the current dailies are brutal as hell on mats and basically jacked the price of some gems to retarded prices. =.= And we're STILL one of the most demanded professions, aside enchanting, although as we progress, more sockets will be per piece I'm sure, where as there's still 1 chant per item. I think we win in the long run.

Smart investments of time = money in JC. The issue is when there's heavy competition, and the market gets screwed by everyone trying to undercut everyone else on cuts. :/ That really sucks, but that's why cutting for tips for me has always worked out better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khevis View Post
    MY gripe is the current dailies are brutal as hell on mats and basically jacked the price of some gems to retarded prices. =.=
    Heh this is why you prospect ore when its cheap and take advantage of all the lazy JCers out there :P.

If your complaining about JC not making money in this xpac, your doing it wrong, ive made abou 80k gold by buying elemntium/obsidium ore prospecting it and cutting gems! and all the small gems i turn into meta gems and cut them..............just use your head, and this requires no farming!