Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    The things against/for SWTOR.

    Alright, to those who are keeping up with SWTOR development. What do you think are the primary things weighing against/for the MMO that is currently the most expensive?

    The things for the MMO.

    Bioware. The company that made KOTOR1, Dragon Age and Mass Effect all best sellers literally has a lot for them. The fact they have huge amounts of Voice Acting only proves that they have love for the game.

    The Budget. Ok, funneling money into a game in hopes of it being good isn't a tried and true strategy, and there are numerous games to show for it. But if you are putting, what was it? 100+ million dollars into a game (I may be wrong), and making it the most expensive MMORPG ever made, you are putting in a big investment for a big income.

    I also, personally think there are several reasons against the MMO.

    First, the Franchise itself. George Lucas has almost literally sucked every dime he could get out of Star Wars. Everything from the Prequels to that terrible Christmas Special have put the MMO with a massive hill to overcome.

    Second being the "Visualized Graphics" that look downright terrible a good bit of the time. Sure you can say WoW has Visualized Graphics, and I'll agree with you, but those Graphics look good. I personally think they are themed after that damn Child Television show, "Star Wars: The Clone Wars".

    What do you think are for and against SWTOR.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post
    First, the Franchise itself. George Lucas has almost literally sucked every dime he could get out of Star Wars. Everything from the Prequels to that terrible Christmas Special have put the MMO with a massive hill to overcome.
    This isn't george lucus. This game will be better than KOTOR 1, which is one of the greatest star wars games of all time and regarded as the best thing since the originals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post
    Second being the "Visualized Graphics" that look downright terrible a good bit of the time. Sure you can say WoW has Visualized Graphics, and I'll agree with you, but those Graphics look good. I personally think they are themed after that damn Child Television show, "Star Wars: The Clone Wars".
    It looks nothing like like The Clone Wars



    Those graphics are LEAGUES ahead of anything in WoW. Just look at the detail.

  3. #3
    some of the things i worry about for going against SW is the fact that Bioware is so individual story based and a MMO really cant survive soly on the solo experience (this aint a pvp vs. pve thing) all successful mmo's have great community's/ guilds and such and i worry that SW wont have that a little i worry that it will be too solo drivin

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by wownerd View Post
    some of the things i worry about for going against SW is the fact that Bioware is so individual story based and a MMO really cant survive soly on the solo experience (this aint a pvp vs. pve thing) all successful mmo's have great community's/ guilds and such and i worry that SW wont have that a little i worry that it will be too solo drivin
    WoW can be solo'd to max level, yet there is no decent storyline.

  5. #5
    I would recommend to all those that want to get info on the game to check this thread : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=188836
    It's a very decent post with alot of information about it. As for things for/against... I was rather disappointed to learn that space combat is a rail shooter and i will not be able to fly my ship freely, but they must have a valid reason for it. And in time the game will probably see an expansion like the one SWG got. Other than that i don't like the fact they are banning some planets for sith/jedi but i would have to play the game to actually give a better comment on that one. All in all i can't wait for it!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashbury View Post
    I would recommend to all those that want to get info on the game to check this thread : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=188836
    It's a very decent post with alot of information about it. As for things for/against... I was rather disappointed to learn that space combat is a rail shooter and i will not be able to fly my ship freely, but they must have a valid reason for it. And in time the game will probably see an expansion like the one SWG got. Other than that i don't like the fact they are banning some planets for sith/jedi but i would have to play the game to actually give a better comment on that one. All in all i can't wait for it!
    Well it really wouldn't make sense for a jedi to enter Sith territory like Korriban. Lorewise, they would be shot down before they even reach the atmosphere.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    So far 2 dungeons are announced.. and neither of them are endgame. Thats a good amount of content so far.

  9. #9
    Lovely graphics. If theres anyone who can pull off a Star Wars MMO, then it's Bioware. Imo.

  10. #10
    The cool idea behind flash points is that they play out differently based on the choices players make during the flash point. You face different bosses, go different routes... So to me it seems that a flash point can be lets say 2 dungeons in one. Of course this is just speculation on my side but it would seem so from the videos they have shown.

  11. #11
    The graphics are awful. The texture work and poly count are far lower than even WoW. Bioware even came out and said they were aiming at lower hardware requirements than WoW. What does that mean? A game that isn't even released yet is aiming at system requirements lower than a game that went into development 10 years ago. Anyone can find that perfect angled screenshot like you showed above, but the majority of the content will look like this:



    For reference, here's a favorable screenshot of WoW:

    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    The graphics are awful. The texture work and poly count are far lower than even WoW. Bioware even came out and said they were aiming at lower hardware requirements than WoW. What does that mean? A game that isn't even released yet is aiming at system requirements lower than a game that went into development 10 years ago. Anyone can find that perfect angled screenshot like you showed above, but the majority of the content will look like this:



    For reference, here's a favorable screenshot of WoW:

    What's this you say? That the team of Bioware spent 10 years of development? doesn't that mean their storyline, classes and all of the above would be top notch? How many years do you think Blizzard spent in devlopment before coming out with Warcraft. The deal breaker if the graphics are worse or bettter. It's the storyline! isn't that the entire reason we play MMO's and keep playing.

    It's not for the gear or badges its the storyline. From my understanding unlike in Warcraft where you have spend hours crafting materials, and gathering. I'm informed you have your own ship in SWTOR with a crew of 3-4 people and while you are out exploring the planet completing the missions. You can actually tell them to gather and craft for you, and they will do it while you are out exploring!

    Storyline, Storyline, Storyline: It's already comfirmed you get several companions however while out on a mission you can only bring one with you. However you can custom your companion in different outfits to look like however you want them to. Your companions have storylines and your actions in the game, good or evil choices not only have an impact on you and your storyline but as well as your companions as well.

    PVP, PVE and all of the above: Despite being able to solo through most missions. There are going to be raids that are unique. Including PVP and PVE missions this is already confirmed. The game is still 5 months away. If Bioware wants to tweak it's graphics in the meantime they can. However IMO, from the game play, storyline, quests this blows Warcraft away. Warcraft will not live forever. Blizzard is already trying to create another mmo seperate from wow

    Yes in Warcraft you have great cartoons amine. However I think Bioware is reaching a more mature fanbase. One who can apperciate their work, cutsecnes and overall story rather then a few kids that just want to log in and hit bad guys. IMO

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    The graphics are awful. The texture work and poly count are far lower than even WoW. Bioware even came out and said they were aiming at lower hardware requirements than WoW. What does that mean? A game that isn't even released yet is aiming at system requirements lower than a game that went into development 10 years ago. Anyone can find that perfect angled screenshot like you showed above, but the majority of the content will look like this:



    For reference, here's a favorable screenshot of WoW:

    You took an old ass screenshot, and compared it to cataclysm beta content, which btw, doesn't look like that on live. The water in that screenshot is the only thing decent, and that water isn't even on live. They scrapped that water and put in a lower quality one.





    It looks nothing like like The Clone Wars



    Now lets compare that to CHARACTER models.


    that is the BEST possible comparison. The older models in WoW are completely outdated

    Just look at the armor in that WoW screenshot and compare it to the armor in the SWTOR screenshots. The armor is completely 2d looking and the textures are completely flat and on the same layer as everything else when it shouldn't be.

    The poly count is MUCH higher than of WoW, and saying otherwise would be just kidding yourself.
    Last edited by moaradin; 2011-01-28 at 09:53 AM.

  14. #14
    While we are on here. Let's talk about content. Since that seems to be the deal breaker for some people. I will post here what I learned from a website.
    quote
    The game will provide "more content than Mass Effect one and two, Dragon Age, KOTOR, and Baldur's Gate put together." It has also been rumored that over $300 million has been put into the development of the game. So it makes perfect sense to shove it into one of the most stacked games season lineups in recent memory this Fall, which we are now officially naming Gamcalyspse or if your having trouble with that moniker you can just call it "the wallet smasher" or "social life ender". end quote

    This game provides more content then four or more of their games combined at launch. I don't know what peoples personal tastes are. If they want keep playing warcraft while this great game is out that's fine. However while they are leveling 85-95, on a wall of text quests. Grinding different monsters for different gear again and playing the same repeated quests.

    I will be enjoying this game SWTOR MMO

  15. #15
    @Glo: You are comparing a character model (which looks better than anything WoW has to offer) to an environment screenshot? Why not compare environment to environment?

    But anyway, you are right. ToR is a horrible, horrible game. Stick to WoW.. Let us suckers play Star Wars : ToR.

    I will be enjoying this game SWTOR MMO
    Don't forget the RPG in MMORPG , which is a big part of this game.As it should be.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    You took an old ass screenshot, and compared it to cataclysm beta content, which btw, doesn't look like that on live. The water in that screenshot is the only thing decent, and that water isn't even on live. They scrapped that water and put in a lower quality one.







    It looks nothing like like The Clone Wars



    Now lets compare that to CHARACTER models.


    that is the BEST possible comparison. The older models in WoW are completely outdated

    Just look at the armor in that WoW screenshot and compare it to the armor in the SWTOR screenshots. The armor is completely 2d looking and the textures are completely flat and on the same layer as everything else when it shouldn't be.

    The poly count is MUCH higher than of WoW, and saying otherwise would be just kidding yourself.
    My point was that anyone can take a pretty looking screenshot and claim the game "looks better than such and such game".

    Also, they're designing the game with integrated cards in mind. Look it up yourself, and in their FAQ. If you think you're going to get anything better than what WoW is offering in the graphics department post-alpha, you'll be the one kidding yourself.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    My point was that anyone can take a pretty looking screenshot and claim the game "looks better than such and such game".

    Also, they're designing the game with integrated cards in mind. Look it up yourself, and in their FAQ. If you think you're going to get anything better than what WoW is offering in the graphics department post-alpha, you'll be the one kidding yourself.
    Do you think that the game will ONLY have 1 graphics option? its the same with WoW. It's made with integrated cards in mind, but do you see integrated cards running ULTRA settings in WoW? NO. It will be the same for this game. integrated cards will be running on low settings.

    Anything you said about SWTOR being only for low level computers is invalid anyways. If you even looked at those two screenshots, the character details look FAR better than anything in WoW.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Do you think that the game will ONLY have 1 graphics option? its the same with WoW. It's made with integrated cards in mind, but do you see integrated cards running ULTRA settings in WoW? NO. It will be the same for this game. integrated cards will be running on low settings.

    Anything you said about SWTOR being only for low level computers is invalid anyways. If you even looked at those two screenshots, the character details look FAR better than anything in WoW.
    The texture resolution looks to be the same, if not lower, actually. Go take a look at that worgen model he posted.

    Fanboys will be fanboys.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    The texture resolution looks to be the same, if not lower, actually. Go take a look at that worgen model he posted.

    Fanboys will be fanboys.
    And WoW junkies will be WoW junkies. If you so hate this why come here and post in a thread mainly aimed at people planning to play the game. Stay away from ToR. We don't want you there. And if the graphics is the only thing that is important to you in a game I can only pity you(which it seems it is because you are nitpicking old screens and comparing character models to environment (I laughed hard at that).. If a game lacks content even the best of the best in terms of graphics will not help it succeed.
    Last edited by Ashbury; 2011-01-28 at 10:19 AM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    The texture resolution looks to be the same, if not lower, actually. Go take a look at that worgen model he posted.

    Fanboys will be fanboys.

    yes, that I posted, and yes, you will continue to be a fanboy no matter how hard I try to convince you. Just so I don't have to type it all out again:

    Just look at the armor in that WoW screenshot and compare it to the armor in the SWTOR screenshots. The armor is completely 2d looking and the textures are completely flat and on the same layer as everything else when it shouldn't be.
    That alone should be enough proof that texture quality is much higher. Saying its lower is laughable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •