Thread: Network help

Network help

Hello all first post but i read all the time, so basically here is the problem im facing. I get sub 200MS and for some reason i get disconnected frequently its almost like my router or network card skips packets or something where data isnt transmitted and i get DCed. I have time warner cable as my ISP, im running an older modem (probably 3 years old) its an RCA DCM-305, also my router is the dlink DGL 4300 gaming router. So basically i tried porting all the TCP's and UDP's that are for wow no luck, so now im content on running my computer through a DMZ( basically bypasses all the functions of the router so im connected to just the modem unabrupted) and that didnt work. So then i turned to maybe its my network slot on my MB. I did some research and found that i might need to set it to 100MB FULL DUPLEX instead of the preset auto negotiate, that also yielded no results but it has helped somewhat sometimes i can go hours with nothing and then boom disconnect and its back to disconnecting every so often. if anyone has any suggestions please im all ears. if you need more info( im sure i left something out) just post and i will be glad to help.

How often/when does this happen? i.e. only at night, randomly throughout the day, etc. Also, how many TVs/modem connections do you have? (if you have Cable TV from them as well) I had similar problems a while back, and the fix for us was to switch from a 3 way cable splitter running to the modem and two TVs... to two separate 2 way splitters... one running to the modem and the second splitter, which ran to both TVs. The modem seemed to be more sensitive to the extra signal loss from running through a 3 way split instead of a 2 way split.
    Last edited by Adappy; 2011-01-28 at 05:40 AM.

I had similar issues, and I had a direct line put in for the modem, off the first split to the house. Solved a lot of my problems. Splitters are terrible for data.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    I had similar issues, and I had a direct line put in for the modem, off the first split to the house. Solved a lot of my problems. Splitters are terrible for data.
    Splitters are bad, yes. You should call and have a tech come out, your cable line may be running through a cable amp as well, and it could be bad, causing intermittent line "noise". Get a dedicated, direct line, JUST for the internet, should clear it up. If not, switch ISP's. Many people have had good luck with ATT Universe service, when faced with shit cable connections.