Thread: Vanilla WoW?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    For example this purplish word "Epic" was something a player playing hes first lvl 60 char for the first week of the lvl60 -ding, had never heard of. You first looted an rare item and after that you made a bunch of hard and time taking quests to upgrade your item to another but better rare item. Then you raided those 40man instances to upgrade your items into an epic version tier1-gloves, for example.

Then came tbc, and after getting lvl70 character to revered state of, lets say lower city, you run into an heroic instance and loot your first epix.

Game became too easy for those who had played two years of vanilla.

Thats probably the most biggest reason i miss vanilla.

And yes, those stratholme runs were awesome.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toupe View Post
    I always see people talking about Vanilla WoW and how great it was or how they missed the Vanilla WoW days. I started playing WoW during WotLK so I was wondering why Vanilla Wow is so often spoken of this way? Thanks
    Some people think because they play the game for a long time it gives them more credibility. Truth is no one cares.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Some people think because they play the game for a long time it gives them more credibility. Truth is no one cares.
    I have to say, then dont deserve more credibility, but they do have more experience and if you, as player, play a game in which it's hard to clear content in and then see the game getting nerfed over the month's / years, wouldnt you wish it got back to when it was a challenge and not just grinding gear for 2days and start on Heroic's?

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla wasn't better, the reason you constantly see post about it it's because
    - 4% feel nostalgia about it
    - 1% believe it was a actually better
    - 95% pretend they were playing and they post random quotes from WoWiki or WoWhead's old posts to satisfy their attention-whoring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsazZUbt9s + /

Takes me back <3 Hearing the login screen music and seeing the loading screens for the first time was already epic for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    It's mostly a feeling of everything being new and amazing that people miss about Vanilla, rather than the gameplay itself, I think. WoW was new then, and the game was still being explored. That feeling of actually killing your first raid boss - not the first boss of a new tier, but the FIRST boss - is something you'll never get back, for example.
    And the fact that everything you saw was complete surprise. With Cata for example everyone watching any community site knew most of the stuff before they even played Cata for the first time. In some sense it's old before you even get to experience it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    And the fact that everything you saw was complete surprise. With Cata for example everyone watching any community site knew most of the stuff before they even played Cata for the first time. In some sense it's old before you even get to experience it.
    I have to agree on that, i think Blizzard should only say the title of the upcomming expansion and when it will be released, just to keep it more fun when it does release.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Vanilla wasn't better, the reason you constantly see post about it it's because
    - 4% feel nostalgia about it
    - 1% believe it was a actually better
    - 95% pretend they were playing and they post random quotes from WoWiki or WoWhead's old posts to satisfy their attention-whoring
    I admit i haven't been playing since the very begining of vanilla, where you can say that it was not yet a complete game, but you can't say that Vanilla wasn't better as a general statement. It all depends what you expect from a game. Since vanilla, wow has been losing things i loved it for piece by piece.
    Last edited by smrtolet; 2011-01-28 at 10:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the world pvp enough to want vanilla back.

It's mainly nostalgia imo.
    But, what was better (or worse tbh) was that everything wasn't evened out. Everyone wasn't able to do everything.
    That's what I found to be fun. And that you as a Holy Paladin could run around in cloth gear and stack healing and down rank your abilities like a hero.
    Talent tree's were all messed up and horrible and that was great as well in some strange way.

Today everything is so easy and linear.. and better. As I said, it's mainly the nostalgia.

Deleted
    I assure you no one is missing Vanilla even if they say so. Many things were so wrong that my had hurts when I think of it. But its like first kiss or first car or first sex. You just never forget it no matter how bad it was.

Deleted
    I think one thing is the whole community thing was more close knit. There was no xrealm BG's, no LFD tool or x-realm LFD for that matter. You played with the people on your server, everybody knew everybody. In PvP you compeeted against people you knew, people you liked and disliked. In PvE you competed against other people on your realm, genuine competition for boss kills. Realm forums were alive and kicking. World PvP was fun as you wanted to kill X person so he went and got his guild and it ended up as an all out war. This element is long dead. Nobody gives a fuck about the person stood next to them in Orgrimmar these days, back then I could stand in Orgrimmar and talk to 40 different people and knew all of them.

That's my thoughts anyway and to the people that say it was crap, like the person above me. Probably was low level/never raided properly or is just looking back without playing it, purely looking from a mechanics perspective and saying it's shit and it's nostalgia. Yeah, I'm not saying content grew tiresome towards the end, nor about the lack of things to do, nor that it was necessarily balanced. TBC came out and really breathed new life into the game and it was needed. It does not change that vanilla was genuinly fun, that's it, just fun. The community certainly contributed to that fun.

EDIT: Also, I want to add after thinking about it abit more and this kinda goes in hand with the community element. Things were done the fun way, not the elitist my way or the high way, fastest possible way. Good example is in dungeons nobody skipped all the trash just to save a few minutes and if you didn't vote kicked you. Nobody played AV where you don't actually PvP and instead just rush to the other end of the map and try and finish it in 10 minutes. On my server back then we had an AV that lasted 24 hours, now that's epic fuck what you say. Back then I remember organising 'duels' in AV against some of the better pvpers on the server towards the horde end near the cave just for some fun. Could you imagine anyone doing that? Nah, lets do fighting in a sandpit area running around pillars all day, yay.
    Last edited by mmoc3fe6b3f1e1; 2011-01-28 at 10:43 AM.

It's nostalgia. Vanilla was great, and I miss it, but there are terrible elements pervasive in most of the early game.

• Spirit on warrior plate?
    • Dodge on rogue leather?
    • Pallies getting Strength, Agility, and Spirit, with set bonuses to augment healing?
    • Warlocks being subpar mages but with less bag space?
    • All "hybrids" pigeonholed into healing? Let's not forget that only one of each HoT could be on a target at a time.
    • DPS warriors? You pull aggro and all your tier pieces were designed for tanking.
    • Six different five-minute blessings with no multi-target versions? Guess what pallies did all raid. Hell, I didn't even know they had a protection tree until Twin Emps progression, and that was after blessings were buffed.
    • Mages forced to raid as Frost because the top-tiered bosses were immune to fire? Sure, you got to be fire in AQ, but you had to clear most of BWL to be useful enough for those fights.
    • Arcane resistance on your tier piece with only one raid boss that does any? What about when spell power was a rare stat, and every caster just stacked Intellect for MOAR MANA?
    • On that note, wtf was a hit cap?
    • PvP was all about one-shotting everybody (boohoo, resilience killed PvP because I can't what-the-fuck kill someone and they get to fight back), and if you wanted the best gear, you manipulated the honor system by playing 24/7 or having other people play your character in shifts.
    • Look at some of the boss fights; half of MC is "kill adds, kill boss." Gehennas? Sulfuron? Lucifron? It's all the same. Golemagg threw you for a loop (you DON'T kill adds) and Domo eliminated step 2.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Efreet View Post
    I assure you no one is missing Vanilla even if they say so. Many things were so wrong that my had hurts when I think of it. But its like first kiss or first car or first sex. You just never forget it no matter how bad it was.
    Things weren't wrong, they were just more annoying and time consuming. Especially if you look at it from today's perspective (in my case WOTLK perspective as i haven't been playing cata). But for me, that was one of the things that defined it.

Deleted
    I cant say i miss Vanilla as a whole.
    But SOME parts i really miss.
    To name 2:
    communication.... well try a conversation in a PUG 80% of times its a monologue -.-
    Alterac Valley 4+ Hour Fights. I wanna see the Icelord again sometime....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyborg View Post
    Community was much better during vanilla. Nothing compared to the cesspool that WoW is today.
    I would say, everyone saying WoW was better back in the day was because the community overall was alot better, sure we had jackasses back then, but not in such wide span.

Deleted
    I loved the feeling of being in complete awe as my Warrior first walked out of the Valley of the Trials, realising how big it was about to get.
    The Tarren Mill/Southshore late night PvP fights will always hold dear to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    • Arcane resistance on your tier piece with only one raid boss that does any? What about when spell power was a rare stat, and every caster just stacked Intellect for MOAR MANA?
    • On that note, wtf was a hit cap?
    I think those are great things.

Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    I miss the world pvp enough to want vanilla back.
    Me too! The Southshore/Tarren Mill raids in Hillsbrad were always fun late at night, and they literally went on all night. Gah I miss that so much.

Deleted
    I mostly miss the immersion and the fact that you weren't expected to have spent hours reading up on everything, there was a lot more experimentation.

Also, proper world PvP (these days it seems the only time you see world PvP is in the occasional random encounter or when a lvl 85 or two decide to go ganking in a low-level zone). Where are all the city invasions? I want to go charging into Orgrimmar with a raid group. Not to mention that back then your character wasn't considered underpowered and low-level just because you had yet to reach the level cap.

I fondly remember being in Darkshire as a lvl 20-something when a bunch of horde lvl 30-45 characters invaded. Soon the conflict escalated as lvl 50-60 alliance players began arriving, this in turn triggered the arrival of several lvl 50-60 horde players but at no point did it just turn into the level-capped players facerolling everyone else while duking it out, there was real PvP going on all over the place.