Page 1 of 2
LastLast

JC cap: Draenei racial is a burden, not a bonus.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before, or if this is a known issue or whatever but here it is.

My Jewelcrafter is a Draenei. The Draenei Racial gives me a flat 10 extra points in JC from the get go, giving me a maximum cap of 535 instead of 525. This is all well and good, however this 'racial bonus' is more of a burden than a bonus.
    Here is why:

- The leveling from 525-535 is extremely more expensive and time consuming than it is from 1-11. (The racial makes you start a 11 instead of 1 as well as makes the cap 10 points higher)
    - You cannot get the achievement for completing the profession, or contribute to the guild achievement until 535, even though they both specify 525. (In the guild profession tab i am considered only 515 because i am 10 levels short of the cap, even though my cap is 10 levels higher)
    - The only recipes that are still orange at 525-535 are the 346 rings and the fiery prism, which are stupidly overpriced and useless respectively.

So although none of these things really make a huge difference to the profession, it makes this racial bonus rather useless. I'd go as far as saying this racial makes the profession HARDER for this race, which is kinda defeating the purpose of the racial in the first place.

Here is my solution that i think would solve this, albeit minor issue:

- Make the meta gem recipes that are orange from 515-525 stay orange from 515-535 instead.

Or is it just my OCDish tendencies making me be unreasonable? What about the other crafting professions that have racial boosts for some races? Are you a blood elf with the same issue with your enchanting?
    I'm curious what everyone's thoughts on this are.

10+ Year Old Account
    The achievement is broken for belfs with enchanting and I think tauren with herbalism. The belf enchanter I know has hit 525 and hasn't levelled it any further, I think because of the cost. Their 525 enchanting isn't counting towards the guild achievement either

If you're not fussed on achievements, I don't see how it's much of a burden since you're not missing out being able to do enchants despite not being maxed out at 535

applies for all the increased caps. have been saying this for a long time. it's completely useless

My goblin has alchemy and the racial bonus is exactly the same as just having a +15 alchemy enchant on. Things go yellow/green/gray 15 levels after they would normally, but you need 90/165/240/315/390/465/540 for the achievements. If some of the other racials aren't working this way, I'd say it's a bug.
    Last edited by Renowned; 2011-01-29 at 11:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It actualy makes it easier if u understand how it works. Ur 525-535 takes the same as others 515-525 the only difference is U have acces to new recipies faster making it easier.

That's not how the jewelcrafting racial works at all. It makes things go yellow/green/gray 10 points after they are supposed to, which makes levelling much easier.

Pretty much what the above poster said. You can max out to 525 easier, because while people are doing 525 recipes, you can do 515 recipes and still level up. Only negative thing is there's so few JC recipes from 500 - 515, really only metagems and fire prism, that this doesn't MEAN MUCH. :P

It is annoying for skill cap achievements and guild achievements, but it's understandable.

I never had to invest thousands of gold into crafting meta gems to be able to get to 525 which makes me able to use certain recipes.

Just Sayin

Except of course that you start out every new expansion with a 10 skill point lead on everyone else, enabling you to get value from the profession slightly earlier. Still, having 535 skill seems to have no benefit whatsoever over having 525 skill, once you get there. I got to 535 Enchanting without any issues at all though, so I don't really see it being a big deal unless you are either lazy or it's your 17th alt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrilina View Post
    Except of course that you start out every new expansion with a 10 skill point lead on everyone else, enabling you to get value from the profession slightly earlier. Still, having 535 skill seems to have no benefit whatsoever over having 525 skill, once you get there. I got to 535 Enchanting without any issues at all though, so I don't really see it being a big deal unless you are either lazy or it's your 17th alt.
    You can acquire maximum level enchants to cover your last 10 points at 525 so you can stop make crappy enchants that won't sell for anything on the auction house anyway while everyone else is stuck making shitty 515 and lower. IE you save money.

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant View Post
    It actualy makes it easier if u understand how it works. Ur 525-535 takes the same as others 515-525 the only difference is U have acces to new recipies faster making it easier.
    Ahh ok, I guess i just assumed it different. Nevermind then.

I have met a lot of people that are as confused/unaware of how the +10 skill racials work, so I'm just gonna explain how it works so you can see why your complaints are based on erronous facts.

The racial bonuses allow characters of the race where the bonus applies to start at skill 11. This is the useless part of the bonus. However, the skill at which ANY recipe turns yellow/green/grey is shifted 10 skill points up. This will in most cases make leveling a profession with a racial bonus a lot easier/cheaper, but NEVER harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Qprahwindfury
    Make the meta gem recipes that are orange from 515-525 stay orange from 515-535 instead
    For any non-draenei character, these meta gems are orange from 490-515, while they are orange for 490-525 for you.

The biggest advantage with the bonus is that you can skill up to 10 points longer on every mandatory "part"-recipe such as Bronze Setting, Mithril Filigree, Whirring Bronze Gizmo, and you can avoid the last recipes of each "tier" (which are generally the most expensive) of materials, making the material requirement sometimes as low as half of the amount when compared to someone who doesn't have the racial bonus.
    -

Deleted
    Personally i would prefer if the racial gave you a chance of extra skill ups when creating something that would normally give you one skill up.

It will change when we get the epic gems to cut. For now you can just sit at 525 and simply wait till they fix the bugs, which is likely to be in the next patch.

I 100% disagree with you that fire prisms are useless though. Considering they contain 1-3 gems you can sell for a fairly awesome amount of gold or use yourself and provided you are or have a miner that can get the ore for you to prospect, aren't very expensive to make anyway.

For now, just get to 525 and sit there. It's just a matter of waiting atm.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

It makes more sense that Blizzard would make it the way you guys say it. Thanks for the info!

Deleted
    It's the same with Gnomes and Engineering, however Engineers have it quite a lot easier since the Gnomish X-Ray Scope is extremely cheap to make and gives 3 or 4 skill ups per craft.

Just level making prisms like everyone else did and stop yer yappin...
    If it cost around 2-3k / prism like it did at the beggining then I would think you'd have a problem with it but now it's around 500g to make one, much less if u mine ur own ore.

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Griefel View Post
    Just level making prisms like everyone else did and stop yer yappin...
    If it cost around 2-3k / prism like it did at the beggining then I would think you'd have a problem with it but now it's around 500g to make one, much less if u mine ur own ore.
    The cost is exactly the same whether you mine the ore yourself and prospect the gems, or you buy them on the AH. You could have sold those uncommon gems on the AH, and that's the cost of opportunity involved.

Deleted
    Just level it up with meta cuts, you will make gold from it too

15+ Year Old Account
    @ OP
    There may be bugs live I don't know of, but...
    ...You are wrong about how Racial profession bonuses work.
    They're actually quite awesome.

A JC recipe that stays orange until 500 for humans, stays orange until 510 for Draenei.
    EDIT: Just noticed Arcangnom explained it for me :P

That should moot your whole concern.
    You don't spend more gold, you actually spend LESS because of some "expensive skill gaps" Racial bonuses help skip.

Let's take a JC recipe that - hypotetically - stays orange until 500 for humans, then yellow until 510, then green until 520.
    Let's say you only get a new "orange" recipe at 520.

Humans have to try and grind 10 green skill points (plenty of failure chance) from 510 to 520.
    Draenei have it orange until 510 and yellow until 520 instead, at wich point you get the new recipe at Orange.

These scenarios happen across the whole profession leveling for all professions.

So you spend less money with Draenei on JC; with Blood Elves on Enchanting, with Gnomes on Engineering, with Tauren on Herbalism, with Worgen on Skinning.

And no one requires you to go all the way to 535.
    By 525 you spent less gold, and can obtain everything you want.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2011-02-02 at 03:31 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?