Thread: Charter 18Mbps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Charter is a cable company. So yes, they use DOCSIS. All you have to do is see if they use DOCSIS3 in your area, and if so it would be better for you and the network to grab a DOCSIS3 capable modem. The 6120 for example. It'll cost you ~$100 but it's usually better than what they'd lease you, unless they lease you one of those. Either way you'd be saving money after about 2 years. But with a leased modem, any issue with the modem and they just swap it for you.
    TYVM ispano.

10+ Year Old Account
    100mbps here lol.

Deleted
    Everyone knows that upload/latency to server is the only relevant thing.

I've had a pristine connection with my old 3mbps up/down line. Now I have a 120mbit line (fairly common in the Netherlands) and the only difference is that I can download WHILE playing, thats it. Nothing more.

Upload is important, low upload=high ping, automatically. And a modem should ~always~ be provided by your provider. Always. Its extremely illegal (you can go to jail for a long time) when you use your own/modified modems, but again, this is all quite common knowledge if you dont live under a rock.

Good luck.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzraptor View Post
    Its extremely illegal (you can go to jail for a long time) when you use your own/modified modems, but again, this is all quite common knowledge if you dont live under a rock.
    I don't know about other countries, but this isn't true in the US. At most, if you have a modem that is somehow bypassing what the central office is allowing, they can terminate your service. Outside of that, it's somewhat common to provide your own modem if you don't want to rent one for $3-5 a month.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzraptor View Post
    Its extremely illegal (you can go to jail for a long time) when you use your own/modified modems, but again, this is all quite common knowledge if you dont live under a rock.
    Uh, no its not - unless its a NL thing. Every ISP I know of provides the option of supplying you with a modem - most will take that option, but not all will. Hell, if you're going with a short term contract, they in fact require YOU to get your own modem. Swapping the modem hardware is not illegal because it will not allow you to bypass any systems if the ISP in question isn't an absolute idiot. Bypassing the restrictions imposed on you is illegal - but a standard modem (provided by your ISP or not) will not allow you to do that.

Back when I used a modem-based connection, I always ended up with one of my own. It was more reliable (and was capable of sitting at my connection cap much more easily), and auto-acquired all the correct settings necessary for the connection to work.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-01-30 at 08:02 AM.

100/100 mbps fiber runs excellent. 30ms ingame. : D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Please explain when else the sub-1Mbps connection that WoW requires would cause a bottleneck on any broadband connection.
    I don't know about where you live, but you can't even get anything below 1mbps in Denmark as those days are long gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the UK I've never used the provider-supplied modems, more often than not they are terrible.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    100/100 mbps fiber runs excellent. 30ms ingame. : D
    See? I have a 10Mbps connection - and not a great one - and get better/comparable (sitting at 26ms ingame this very second) latency.

Download speed means very little when you're playing an MMO. True, faster connections generally have a better latency but it all depends on your service provider and the area you're in. ADSL in my area is utter shite, for instance, so we went with cable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    See? I have a 10Mbps connection - and not a great one - and get better/comparable (sitting at 26ms ingame this very second) latency.
    Latencies in the super-ultra low ranges (comparably) are heavily dependent on the health of various Internet routers (and therefore - the location of your target server in relation to your own location), because just a single burdened one can add a good 10-20ms.

I can ping people up in Stockholm (300 miles away) for less than 5ms (local city - <1ms), but Copenhagen - which isn't even 50 miles away, gets latencies of around 18-25. Add higher latencies as the target gets further away.

In addition - I've noted the WoW servers in particular seem to have very volatile latency variations. During prime time even American game servers (non-WoW) average significantly better latencies, ~110-130 versus upwards 180+.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-01-30 at 01:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    I don't know about where you live, but you can't even get anything below 1mbps in Denmark as those days are long gone.
    The US has plenty of sub-1Mbps connections. That's one area we are sorely behind in comparison to most of the world.

What I was talking about was the amount of bandwidth that WoW required, though. It really doesn't require much bandwidth at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Fun fact, most smartphones in Japan have better speeds than most North American hardwire connections. =/
    red panda red panda red panda!

^ It's a lot easier to provide services like that when the country is the size of California (roughly).
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    ^ It's a lot easier to provide services like that when the country is the size of California (roughly).
    It's all about the money! Companies aren't going to put new wires or fiber in whole america just because it will not be profitable, would it been profitable they ofcourse would!
    Government needs to put money into it or else it will never be done (except high population area's where they can make lots of profit ofc!)
    Sad truth =(
    Luckily obama wants broadband for everyone right?!

Eh that's part of it, but trying to build an infrastructure for the whole of America, and even the whole of North America would be a far more complicated/expensive feat than building the same infrastructure for an area the size of California.
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block