Thread: Ssd

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ssd

Hey guys,
    im going to upgrade my harddrive to ssd.
    i dont know much about disks, so id like to hear what u guys use/would recommend me to buy, my current one have 5.3 rating in windows
    but its actually a intern disk 2,5"

- Fadez

15+ Year Old Account

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think that they were asking for opinions about hardware from fellow forum posters as some of the reviews on alot of sites are planted there to sell units.
    Not flying my Sig because somebody got butthurt because I posted a question that they didn't like in they're little pet post and sicked ScrapBot on me :P

I wouldn't worry too much about the WEI (Windows Experience Index), The HDD is very rarely a bottleneck for most gaming systems. It's usually a GPU or CPU (and sometimes ram) that will give you performance upgrades. My HDD is a 5.9 and I could care less if they said its a 1.0.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyzek View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the WEI (Windows Experience Index), The HDD is very rarely a bottleneck for most gaming systems. It's usually a GPU or CPU (and sometimes ram) that will give you performance upgrades. My HDD is a 5.9 and I could care less if they said its a 1.0.
    You would because your loadings would take over 5 minutes, and it would take over 10mins to get Orgrimmar/Stormwind fully loaded with all the models running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyzek View Post
    I disagree about your sentiments (although SSD vs non-SSD can be argued back and forth) about HDD not being a bottleneck.
    HDD is very often a bottleneck, I'd say. People buying a fast computer and then recycling an old HDD with (for reference) <5.0 in the WEI as you called it.
    A fast computer with slow loadtimes will be a slow computer, in my opinion.

My SSD gives me 7.8/7.9 in WEI, with 7.5 on my CPU being the lowest. (Overclocked i5-760 -> 3.8GHz)
    WEI matters little in itself, however, but it's a good reference-point if you have nothing better
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-01-30 at 11:08 AM.
    &nbsp;

I have an i7 920 with 6GB of DDR3

I used a HDD for windows and wow, changed to an SSD and it made a MASSIVE MASSIVE difference. Same hardware otherwise, load times improved massively, not just for wow, but for games on other harddrives.
    My steam folder is still on a HDD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    I disagree about your sentiments (although SSD vs non-SSD can be argued back and forth) about HDD not being a bottleneck.
    HDD is very often a bottleneck, I'd say. People buying a fast computer and then recycling an old HDD with (for reference) <5.0 in the WEI as you called it.
    A fast computer with slow loadtimes will be a slow computer, in my opinion.

My SSD gives me 7.8/7.9 in WEI, with 7.5 on my CPU being the lowest. (Overclocked i5-760 -> 3.8k GHz)
    WEI matters little in itself, however, but it's a good reference-point if you have nothing better
    3800 GHz? That's 3 800 000 MHz, nice PC bro.
    Seriously now, indeed the HDD is quite a crucial part for a "fast" pc. Sure, a PC with a superprocessor will calculate shit fast as hell, but it'll feel sluggish because everything takes ages to load up.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    3800 GHz? That's 3 800 000 MHz, nice PC bro.
    Seriously now, indeed the HDD is quite a crucial part for a "fast" pc. Sure, a PC with a superprocessor will calculate shit fast as hell, but it'll feel sluggish because everything takes ages to load up.
    Mah bad. I thought of i5-2500k at the same time, and it's hard to separate two thoughts :P Fixing.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    In fact, a hard drive is actually quite often THE bottleneck of a high end PC. I've taken too long to get another SSD, but I'll have one in a few weeks. The difference is most definately measureable.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Deleted
    HDD is most definately a bottleneck.. Other components often have to wait to be fed. The transfer rates pv 70-70 (average, guessing) MB /s and seek times of 7-10 ms comes no where near the bandwidth etc. of other components. Basically, people accept the fact that they have to wait for the disk. If they wait for the CPU (which happens when theres no free CPU time), it's inacceptable

It's basically a question whether or not you can tolerate waiting for something and how much you're willing to pay. Sure, you can get well performing rotating disks and maybe put them in an array. You will always have less performance on random IOs in comparison to SSDs tho. So, I guess it's just a budget thing.

@ OP, I currently have 2 Intel x25m installed - the second generation is pretty good as well. Even though I haven't used them, if I was looking for a SSD now, I would probably get an OCZ vertex 2 or agility 2. They have a bit higher read / write performance (not that writing makes that much of a difference - you need a source that can give you that speed as well), for a pretty decent price (about 200 Euros for the 100 GB version)

AMD Phenom(tm) II x6 1055T Processor 2.80GHz (not clocked)
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 Graphic card
    8GB ram

The computer is almost new, but all kind of loading goes slow.
    im wondering if fps drop when im in trade disctrict or so can be the problem of my disk?

- Fadez

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fadez- View Post
    AMD Phenom(tm) II x6 1055T Processor 2.80GHz (not clocked)
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 Graphic card
    8GB ram

The computer is almost new, but all kind of loading goes slow.
    im wondering if fps drop when im in trade disctrict or so can be the problem of my disk?

- Fadez
    What kind of FPS drop are we talking about here? Because everyone has FPS drops in Org/SW

Dropping down to about 30, my friend have almost the same setup as me but he is running it smoothly still if there is many people around...
    i guess its my disk that need a upgrade?

Dropping down to about 30, my friend have almost the same setup as me but he is running it smoothly still if there is many people around...
    i guess its my disk that need a upgrade?
    No. SSDs will not increase your FPS. Sorry. Lower shadows.
    &nbsp;

and my screen is like, freezing when i inspect ppl

Deleted
    and my screen is like, freezing when i inspect ppl
    Yeah the inspect window is very graphicly intense.
    It's just server lag -.-'

Have you tried enabling DirectX11? The HD 5850 is a DirectX11 card

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Massive performance gains from SSD's, this concept continues to elude me entirely. -_-

Wait for the 500mb/s drives that actually might make a cost effective difference.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunefire View Post
    I think that they were asking for opinions about hardware from fellow forum posters as some of the reviews on alot of sites are planted there to sell units.
    Okay, so how would you suggest doing research? Tomshardware and HardOCP have both been reliable and benchmarks are trustworthy from my own personal experience. If you are going to claim everything there is a plant you might as well buy every piece of hardware on the market and test it yourself.