Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    the current gear needs less gems than what equipment will be using in some months
    furthermore more people are joining guilds then ever cause of the guild features
    last - at least for my realm, the auction house is over populated with really cheap gems,

remember at the end of wrath most people bought their raw gems of honor/heroic points and needed someone to cut, now most of them never see the raw mats (i assume)

I've been earning a fortune on metagems, so can't really agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    im giving you an idea of what you can do with your token instead of buying all of the recipes that are not usefull
    (you gonna make 3 cuts of one sort of a gem in all of the xpac)
    I know what im talking about , I had alot of JC WOTLK Pattern and some of them are not usefull at all
    But , hey , if you want all the pattern , what can I say ? Im not paying your monthly WoW fee. do what you want
    Ive got all recipes from bc, all from wotlk, and now i want all from cata ... simple as that . Gold isnt useful to me since im sitting at a good amount of it and it only becomes more and more but thanks for your tip ... didnt want to rate your post down with my answer it is indeed a good way for people with gold problems.

Gem cut are so cheap right , I dont see the point for me, of having the trouble of getting all the pattern that my main character dont need.
    And if I need a gem , I dont see why I would bother to meet a JC when gems cut are so cheap and the gguy is expecting a 30gold tips on a 60 gold gem
    So , using the AH to buy gems is less trouble
    Yes indeed as i stated before the extremely low price for uncut gems seems to add to the problem.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most professions are seeing similar results. Free services AND guild ach's, why use trade.

As far as I'm concerned there are a few reasons why people aren't looking for JCs much.

Firstly, there are no easily obtainable epic uncut gems to my knowledge.
    Secondly, this early in the expansion most players are still probably running around in fairly low gear, which often doesn't have sockets.
    Third, the prices are low on gems while people have hilarious amounts of gold.

im on a medium pop server, cut gems are about 50-80 gold............and red cut gems sell for 90-120a pop and meta for 150-200...........I buy 10k worth of elementium ore and turn and profit 15k from it!........................if your not making money from JC your doing somethign wrong.....dont listen to these knuckleheads do your dailies and buy cuts

Quote Originally Posted by maradoods View Post
    im on a medium pop server, cut gems are about 50-80 gold............and red cut gems sell for 90-120a pop and meta for 150-200...........I buy 10k worth of elementium ore and turn and profit 15k from it!........................if your not making money from JC your doing somethign wrong.....dont listen to these knuckleheads do your dailies and buy cuts
    And again someone who doesnt read at all . Anyway thanks for your tip.

This thread isnt about how to make gold with Jewelcrafting. It is about why there are significantly less people that need gems cut when i advertise my profession in trade, nothing else
    Last edited by Culexus; 2011-01-30 at 11:27 PM.

dont waste your time advertising!..........i never do, people are lazy and just wanna buy the cut gems

Quote Originally Posted by maradoods View Post
    dont waste your time advertising!..........i never do, people are lazy and just wanna buy the cut gems
    Read the initial post. Read the rest too and you understand why your tip (which wasnt wrong at all) isnt what im asking for. Also my question was answered already anyway.
    Last edited by Culexus; 2011-01-30 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Róg View Post
    On my realm at least, cut gems are so cheap that it's never worth buying a raw and then spamming trade for a cut when you could just buy the cut gem in the first place for under 50g on the AH.
    That is annoying. Why do other JCs insist on undercutting to the point where the profession (as a money maker) becomes worthless?

Yes indeed as i stated before the extremely low price for uncut gems seems to add to the problem
    On my realm uncuts sell for more than cuts most of the time (including metas).

buy 10k worth of elementium ore and turn and profit 15k
    10k of ore on my server would yield about 8-10k of greens and blues. Cutting and/or selling these might get me my 10K back.
    Last edited by dexx; 2011-01-31 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    And again someone who doesnt read at all . Anyway thanks for your tip.

This thread isnt about how to make gold with Jewelcrafting. It is about why there are significantly less people that need gems cut when i advertise my profession in trade, nothing else
    I never even try to advertise JC in trade unless someone specifically says they're looking for one. It seems like most people expect to just go to the AH and buy the gems they need rather than trying to find someone to cut them for them through trade chat.

Quote Originally Posted by dexx View Post
    That is annoying. Why do other JCs insist on undercutting to the point where the profession (as a money maker) becomes worthless?

On my realm uncuts sell for more than cuts most of the time (including metas).

10k of ore on my server would yield about 8-10k of greens and blues. Cutting and/or selling these might get me my 10K back.
    Also I'm glad to be on a low-pop server where ore is 60g/stack and almost all gem cuts sell for 150+. Some of my numbers from the last week on Dethecus-US

Last edited by Tsudots; 2011-01-31 at 07:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by boubadoo View Post
    Lots of peeps are JC now, for raiding.
    This is probably the single most influential trend. There are lots of JC's out there, the profession is just slightly better than others for getting the exact stat bonus that helps you the most. And since WoW has moved towards min/max people would kill for an extra +10 stat on their item. As a result more JC = less profit because more is being sold while there are also more guild JC's who would cut for free.

That said I don't think we JC have any right to complain. Its still makes plenty of money for the effort put in and we get our own gems for next to nothing (otherwise gems would be the single most heavy expense in my book).
    Last edited by Linaver; 2011-01-31 at 07:24 AM.

Most of the gear people are getting doesnt have gem slots in it. Your normal players are just getting thru norm and heroic 5 mans (no gem slots in gear, maybe 1 if your lucky) buying jp stuff (again no gem slots) and maybe buying a piece of gear off the AH. Only the top guilds are in downing 9+ bosses every week and most of them have their own jc's.

Jc was super slow on my realm but has picked up a little over the last few weeks( i sell between 20-50 gems a day) guilds are gearing up and selling boe's on the Ah and casual guilds are finished with heroics and going in and knocking out a few raid bosses. Once the next tear hits and people can get gear with some actual gems slots things will pick up alot.

I think there's fewer people needing JC because (in order):

1) Fewer people are progressing far into raid content, meaning fewer upgrades are gotten
    Many guilds were doing full clears of Naxx every week within the first couple months of the expansion. That certainly isn't the case now. Plus, people were doing 10 and 25 versions, weekly. Which leads to ...

2) 10s and 25s drop same gear
    If you had a 10-man piece, you would replace it with a 25 version. Dungeon -> Heroic -> 10 -> 25 is more ilvl tiers than Dungeon -> Heroic -> Raid.

3) Mastery is on a lot of gear, and it's beneficial to many specs (not all)
    There are noticeably fewer options for gear in this tier. As a Holy Pally, there is one, ONLY ONE, drop for a 359 wrist epic in t11. With mastery they can make fewer pieces of gear because fewer stats are "wasted" on items.

4) Stat consolidation
    There's no more defense, spellpower (except on weapons), attack power, or armor pen. (probably a couple other stats that I can't think of) Fewer stats to choose from mean fewer stats that specs find useless which means fewer pieces of gear need to be created.

5) Reforging + Mastery allows Bliz to put fewer sockets on gear while still allowing customization of that gear
    Mastery means different things to different specs. Don't need a stat on an item? Reforge it. There's only 2 bonus stats per item, and you're bound to need one of them. Reforge the other and it's close to perfect.

So simply put, people are getting fewer upgrades, and when they do get them, the stats on that gear are probably close to ideal even without sockets.
    Last edited by slosh; 2011-02-01 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsudots View Post
    I never even try to advertise JC in trade unless someone specifically says they're looking for one. It seems like most people expect to just go to the AH and buy the gems they need rather than trying to find someone to cut them for them through trade chat.

Also I'm glad to be on a low-pop server where ore is 60g/stack and almost all gem cuts sell for 150+. Some of my numbers from the last week on Dethecus-US
    What addon is that?

Deleted
    I've had ONE customer I think, and he wanted a Wrath gem.

I dont "spam" my JC very often, but when I do, I dont get a single whisper.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild has always a pile of cut and uncut gems, and if you need something cut, we have 3 people doing daily's, and making sure all recipes are in someone's skillbook. No fee, all based on gifts. No it doesn't make us any money, we sell the gems for lower than ah price, just because we provide it as service for raiding members, and such things cost huge amounts of money nowadays.

I think it's because there are just so many dang JCs out there. Everyone is a JC these days. So there is not as much demand for cuts because they either are one and can do their own or else a dozen other people in their guild are and can do the cuts for free for them.

Raw gems are more expensive then cut ones on my server. That goes for most professions: being the raw mats cost more then the finished product.

I just AH them most of the gems i need cost 25-50g