Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Charging for Chaos Orbs?

Now I don't want to come off arrogant or "self entitled" but it really bothers me how much people are charging per chaos orb if you want something crafted. On my server (Bleeding Hollow) its generally 450-500g per orb used in the craft. Now maybe its because I'm a tank and I see the end of 5man runs more often than DPS but it seems a bit ridiculous. If I've farmed hard for my mats and tipped the alchemist (usually 200g for a Truegold transmute) not to mention say you had to buy a few airs/waters/fires to top you off on those transmutes you can easily with mats and paying per orb spend about 2k or more on just the craft. Most of those items sell for 4-10k on the AH. I had all my tank epics crafted early in the expansion and by two different BS characters neither of them asked for payment on the orbs or for a tip. Both of them received 200g (same price as a transmute).

Are heroics so hard that those orbs are THAT valuable? Does anyone else have a problem with this or am I just crying over nothing?

sounds like your server sucks. i only charge 200g per orb, and only if its not a guildie

They're worth whatever people will pay for them.

500? thats it? lol, most charge 1k to non-guildies on mine....

Damn I thought this was going to be a "How much should I sell Chaos Orbs for when they are BoE?". As an engineer I dont make anything that great but I have 22 of those things taking up bank space.

As for your situation OP, I guess it depends on the server.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." ~William Faulkner
    "Ever look at the word 'Damage'? - It is clearly right in front of you...DA MAGE!"

You want something you had nothing to do with on getting for free? seems a bit entitled on your end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well on my server at the beginning people were charging around 2k an orb, and now its 500-1k each. And to answer your question, heroics are not hard at all, but its the fact that you have to kill the last boss and then beat other players for an orb that is bop. They are also investing their time to get the orbs to usually make a profit of some kind. IMO if they spent time gather orbs they can charge what they want for them.
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme
    GPU: Asus HD 7850 RAM: Mushkin Blackline 8GB
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB PSU: OCZ 500W CASE: Cooler Master HAF 922

Theyre about the same on my server. Earlier in the xpac, they were 1-2k each...

They are that expensive because people can farm the mats themselves and just sell the item on the AH. I never use my orbs to make things for others... I am much better off but mats off the AH, and selling the epics...

If you where the only one with crude oil in this world... would you not charge alot of money for it?.... same scenario...
    | HAF-X Case | MSI Z77 MPOWER | Intel 3770k Overclock to 4.2 | ADATA DDR3 1600 8GB |
    | MSI 970 Gaming | Corsair 1200AX | Triple Asus 242h 23.6" |
    | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard | Razer Mamba Mouse |

15+ Year Old Account
    I used to charge 1000g for my orbs, even had someone mentioned that it was high but he still agreed to it ^^

I had the mail spellcaster chest piece crafted early in the expansion as well, and I ended up buying the leather required for the purchase of the recipe, buying the truegold and other mats outright, and tipping the leatherworker 1000g for the orbs. He was a guildie as well. -_-

Well I hope when they go BoE that I can get at least 300-900 gold each for them.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." ~William Faulkner
    "Ever look at the word 'Damage'? - It is clearly right in front of you...DA MAGE!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsniper View Post
    If you where the only one with crude oil in this world... would you not charge alot of money for it?.... same scenario...
    Not even close. I can't even figure out how you came up with that comparison.

Orbs are FINALLY down to 1k on my server...I really wish they were 500g lol. Thankfully, they are becoming more commonplace, so the prices should drop soon...and as soon as they become non-Bop, even better.

I've always had a problem with people who charge for this sort of thing. I NEVER have. I've probably made about 20 of the plate tanking chests, and haven't charged a dime (silver? lol) for the orbs. I don't run heroics specifically for the orbs, therefore, I am not specifically spending MY time JUST to farm the orbs; they're a bonus. I got it for free, there's no reason why I should charge an outrageous price for it. More and more people on my server are starting to do this as well. I have, however, received quite a few tips for crafting, usually in then neighborhood of 200g each craft. Sure, I could make a lot more money by charging for the orbs, but in the process, cut out a lot of potential clients.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibbin View Post
    Well I hope when they go BoE that I can get at least 300-900 gold each for them.
    Indeed. I got like 40 of them lying in my bank waiting for excactly that...

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbin View Post
    Damn I thought this was going to be a "How much should I sell Chaos Orbs for when they are BoE?". As an engineer I dont make anything that great but I have 22 of those things taking up bank space.

As for your situation OP, I guess it depends on the server.
    You realize that when they stop being BoP the ones you currently have aren't going to un-soulbind right? Maybe stop rolling on them if you aren't gonna use them.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    That seams to be the going price everywhere. The heroics are not hard they just have a low sucess rate. Like everything as they become more common the price will drop

sounds like another QQ thread, some people charge some dont, called supply and demand. if people dont wanna pay for the orbs dont buy them till u can find some1 to craft them for free.

i can say the same about tanks selling ques.
    making 400-1kg per grp depending how much the tank charges just to que up so dps dont wait in que for 45 mins is the same as people with professions selling orbs

Quote Originally Posted by Sobegreen View Post
    Are heroics so hard that those orbs are THAT valuable? Does anyone else have a problem with this or am I just crying over nothing?
    you are indeed crying over nothing.
    say you buy a piece from a dps. A piece that need 3 orbs.

That would be around 10-40 min queue to get into the heroic. With a fairly large chance of the group failing so you wont even see a orb drop. And after about 30 min in the heroic. You actualy have to win the orb against 2-4 others wich again makes it even harder. Getting orbs is a pain in the dirge and they are worth more than 500g. Way more

I get why people charge for them, but the idea that crafters slave away for hours in heroics alone, instead of just pressing *need* at the end of their daily heroic over the other people who are not crafters a bit eye-roll-worthy xD

Can you imagine the QQ if enchanters could click to DE all the instance items and they were the only ones entitled to *need* because they are the only ones capable of actually crafting something with those mats? Then selling them back to you at a stupid inflated price for the privilage? (yeah it's a flawed analogy but you get the idea)

Playing devils advocate a bit here because I have not directly paid anyone for orbs, but have bought crafted stuff from AH into which i presume the orb cost is worked, and it does not overly bother me. Good for them to be able to charge for something like that, wouldn't mind such an easy money maker in engineering ^^

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I charge 100g per orb, depending on who it's for. Guildies get them free, ofc. I dont really have any use for them myself, anyways.

Best part was, some guy actually paid me 500g for 3 orbs cause he though I was nice since I sold em so cheap.

Sure, I could buy some mats, craft some epics and then sell them... But then again thats only 1-3k gold profit per epic and they dont really sell that well anymore.