Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I know this is a thread about paladins, but it's worth mentioning that for Druid and DK tanks, hit rating is actually a mitigation stat, since our respective masteries require us to hit our target. For DKs in particular, missing a carefully-timed Death Strike can be catastrophic.

Every raid boss design out there have casts come up too soon, or cast too fast to rely on a paladin tank to interrupt. Until 4.0.6, neither one of our CD's are off the GCD. Meaning if you use an special move as part of your normal rotation and the boss decides it is a great time to cast, you are screwed. Also, hoping that you get an avengers shield proc to interrupt the next cast is a horrible idea. Rotating interrupts with a dps can work, but even then your interrupts might not come back up soon enough.
    You can rotate without using AS and hold plenty of threat, leaving it open to use for interrupts. And when you do use as part of the rotation, generally HoJ will be off CD as an alternative. It's a back-up plan for those very situations you're referring to, when someone else's interrupt is stuck from GCD.

edit: not to mention, that to get hit capped, you would lose out on a LOT of avoidance/mitigation. This means that your are getting hit for a lot more, making life much harder on the healers.
    Didn't say you needed hit cap. Said you should not just "throw away" hit rating, and that it is not a wasted stat, therefore, the Ret legs with hit/Mastery could potentially be a better buy than the prot legs with dodge/parry. It definitely should not be prioritized over Mastery in any sense, and if dodge/parry are well into dr going for the mastery on the ret legs might not be a terrible idea.

Lets calculate the difference between 1025 hit, and 1025 mastery.
    Again, no one mentioned dropping mastery for hit. The ret legs actually provide MORE mastery, which is what this thread is about. I'm saying that the hit on the ret legs is not wasted, and they are a viable tanking choice.

Also, I'm not doing 100% of the interrupting, but some times I need to and am depended on situationally. I never said "get to hit cap and be the only interrupt." I said sometimes you have to, depending on raid comp, and hit is not worthless like everyone seems to think.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snared View Post
    Secondly, those talking about needing hit for threat are just silly. Expertise gives you more threat than Hit any day of the week, considering when you use expertise you are lowering both the mobs chance to parry AND their chance to dodge. So until dodge cap, Expertise is twice the value of Hit in terms of threat.
    Actually the threat stats go more Expertise softcap > Hit cap > Expertise hardcap > Strength.

Other than that, you are totally correct.

Also, not only will you fail due to bad group comp, your tanks most likely die due to not having enough avoidance.

And well, if you NEED to interrupt, you're of course doing your job as a tank and keeping a lot of gear on hand for any situation, including hit gear for interrupts, EH gear, avoidance gear and gimmickey trinkets and set bonuses for the odd occasion (Why hello there Anub'Arak!).

And should you happen to miss that interrupt on Arcanotron or Halfus, too bad. Luckily you don't have gating systems anymore and can try again.
    Last edited by Termy; 2011-02-03 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lthompson94 View Post
    Again, no one mentioned dropping mastery for hit. The ret legs actually provide MORE mastery, which is what this thread is about. I'm saying that the hit on the ret legs is not wasted, and they are a viable tanking choice.
    Oh, well to that I agree, the ret legs may be a better choice, or at least a side-grade of sorts, then the prot T11 legs. But I'm not shooting for most of the T11 gear. The T11 legs are not BiS for us(though the chance of getting the right "random enchant" is low). My points to your comment were made as a specific reply to your comment, not as a reply to the original topic.