Thread: DVI vs HDMI

DVI vs HDMI

Graphics card has both DVI and HDMI outputs. I searched a little and supposedly HDMI carries video and audio at the same time. So my question is, is there any benefit of going HDMI if one only looks at video quality? Meaning, forgetting about audio, will there be a difference in video quality? Monitor will be a 23" 1920x1080 which has both HDMI and DVI inputs.

Thanks.

no
    its the same

10+ Year Old Account
    This might make things a little clearer, or more complicated but pretty much what Roningsp said, you more than likely won't notice the difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    HDMI is DVI with bells and whistles. A DVI-to-HDMI adapter does nothing electrically.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Same signal digitally. DVI does have the option of analog pins, hence why DVI to VGA adapters exist.
    red panda red panda red panda!

dual link DVI cables can carry sound aswell but it isn't really intended to do that but HDMI and DVI is the same digital video signal

Just so you know, there are HDMI ports out there that won't carry audio; I assume you know that yours will, but just wanted to give a heads up that there are HDMI ports out there that don't carry audio signal with them and are strictly video.