Thread: Healing Magmaw

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Healing Magmaw

My guild is working on this as the first encounter for this raid tier (not counting BH), and we've been running into troubles just with the raw amount of healing needed for the fight. Our dps has been very good (everyone is between 10-15k), and our tank is now roughly 350 geared so he should be good as well. We've been downing the worms relatively easily in the fight as well, and our strategy for controlling them seems good. However, our heals just cannot keep up this fight: generally what happens is a dps will go down sometime before the first magmaw flop, he'll get a bres, then another one will go down shortly after the flop, and slowly the raid will go down.

2 of the healers are entirely heroic geared, the other is slightly less so (~333 level), and this other healer is also less experienced. I'm just wondering if anyone can give some pointers to our healers for this fight, maybe share how you dole out your raid's healing, etc. We've got two druids and a shammy for healers by the way.

Edit: One other thing, would it make sense for us to try Omnotron first instead of magmaw? Is that fight less punishing to lesser-geared guilds?
    Last edited by burntchomsky; 2011-01-31 at 05:11 PM.

They probably die because they are in front of Magmaw when he's chained. They must move away since when Magmaw is chained he does a frontal cone damage (name's "Massive Crush") that pretty much kills everyone it hits

Deleted
    You don't need to kill the worms. Just get a hunter or a frost dk to kite them around the room.
    Besides that, all I can say is that you're healers/DPS may need to shape up. I don't mean that in a nasty way at all by the way - it's just that you need to make note if anyone continuously gets hit by the flame pillars, doesn't move out of the steam thingy, etc. These people put extra strain on your healers, and shouldn't be allowed into the group for progress unless they're willing to learn the fight.

Not much versatility there, with only 1 tank healer and 2 raid healers. What do the dps die to?

Deleted
    First of all you should try to get a priest or paladin for variation in heals, maybe some gear up get some crafting gear / rep epics for the healers if they haven't already? Are they gemmed, enchanted etc.? Are they using right abillities such as non mana wasting spells such as high mana cost spells dunno about shamman and druid but like priests "flash heal". People moving away from the fire?

If your healers does all that and dps watch out and doesn't take avoidable damage I don't see where it can fail

Hope it helped :§

15+ Year Old Account
    What classes are your healing made up of?

I am a holy priest and if you have a Holy Priest using flash heal he will go oom very fast. Holy priests whould be dropping light well and using heal with the chakra state. Once you have Magmaw on the spike healers need to regen mana because no damage is taken.

Oh and if you have a Holy Priest make sure your raid is using the Light Well.
    Last edited by lkonig; 2011-01-31 at 05:18 PM.
    Zift

Quote Originally Posted by lkonig View Post
    What classes are your healing made up of?

I am a holy priest and if you have a Holy Priest using flash heal he will go oom very fast. Holy priests whould be dropping light well and using heal with the chakra state. Once you have Magmaw on the spike healers need to regen mana because no damage is taken.

Oh and if you have a Holy Priest make sure your raid is using the Light Well.
    2 Druids, 1 Shaman...trolol read the post

Anyways to the OP, are people too spread out / out of range in this fight? As I had the exact same healer combo on an attempt the other night and least to say it went horribly.
    Last edited by Sayrah; 2011-01-31 at 05:20 PM.

I heal magmaw with 3 healers atm, not needed seeing how one pulled 3k hps and decides to dps half way through the fight but better safe then sorry, healing can be tough but as a healer healing that fight u should use roughly a huge portion of ur mana the first phase as that is when the raid will take most damage, concerve ur mana best u can and when he is spiked to the ground regen as much as u can. Bring concetration pots for that phase to get 22k mana over 10k. Use flasks, use food, pop aoe heals and get ur raid grouped up. Other then that from being a bad healer of having a dps being undergeared getting smacked by magmaws face smash ability or his initial tank hit when he is rising up there is really nothing u can do. U could try having raid move and 1 dps stand by him with defensive cd's poped, but make sure 1 person is by him at all times or he enrages and its gg. Also i suggest getting a pally healer, (druids and shamans are just not pulling the weight atm healing wise)

Our current healing makeup in our 10man is a druid (myself), a holy priest and a resto shaman. Currently all of us are hovering around 350 ilevel with the holy priest right at 346. In order to deal with Maggy we made our DK switch to his frost spec and kite all the worms as they spawn. As the dk tanks we have the rest of the raid stacked up on melee right on the ledge of the room. With everyone hugging the ledge the pillar of flame will 100% of the time spawn under the kiting dk.

Also since everyone is stacked you can lay down all the ground heals on top of the same spot. Thats a ton of raid healing and will definitely help if your heals are slightly undergeared.

Also Omnatron fight is much more of a mana / mechanic struggle, if ur undergeared i recommend sticking to magmaw.

We heal this fight with 1 holy paladin, druid and resto shaman, and yes it is alot of healing needed, but as other people said, if your dps avoid the flame pillar and worms, you should feel alot less strain on your healers. Personally for our raid setup we have our rogue and frost DK break off the boss to help AoE down the worms as most of our ranged don't have great AoE (2 shadow priests ftl) .

As a druid healer on this fight I keep my lifeblooms on the MT and refresh with nourish. Our ranged stack up tightly so that worm control is better, and I try to use my swiftmend on a ranged DPS so that we can be standing in effloresence and healing rain. We do have one healer assigned to the melee as they do take some damage. Typically a few people will take damage at once from his raid AOE, they get healed up with rejuv/swiftmend/riptide/holy light and we don't have anyone "flop" over. Don't be afraid to use your inefficient heals because you can use his burn phase for some regen time.

15+ Year Old Account
    If they are melees they prolly die to Magmaw melee hitting them after the vulnerable phase, since your MT gets eaten thus reseting his aggro, and first melee strike will go to the melee dps highest on threat.

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

When my guild does this, we have the tank face magmaw to the left wall when you enter the room, melee & heals stack to the right. We have a mage and a hunter mad aoe on the parasites and kite them the entire fight, after tank gets eaten, everyone backs off so he doesn't one-shot non tank dps or heals. We never kill the parasites and just repeat this the entire fight.

Our heal setup is me(rdruid), h pally, h priest

If you want to see our set up better, heres our first kill video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGl_f0LeP-A

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    We had one healer focus on keeping the tank alive. The second healer focused on bringing up people with fire damage, and the 3rd healer did general raid healing. Having a person focus on the fire damage kept people at a higher health without having to use too many high mana cost fast heals to save them. Also, found that having people group up (1 ranged group 1 melee group) meant better aoe healing, but you have to be FAST at moving out of pillars since every one will land on your group. I found that I would go down to 20% mana in the first phase, and could get back up 70%+ on the chain phase. So use the mana you need to at the start, you can get ALOT back during the downtime.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's going to suck at first, make no mistake. Do your healers have any rep epics, or are they literally all 346-only? Are they properly gemmed and enchanted? With your healers' gear the way it is, every bit helps. Try to get them to maximize their gear to the best of their capability.

That said, you need to find out why your DPS is flopping. Aside from unavoidable AOE damage there should be no real reason any single DPS is dying. Review logs and find out what's killing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matero View Post
    2 Druids, 1 Shaman...trolol read the post

Anyways to the OP, are people too spread out / out of range in this fight? As I had the exact same healer combo on an attempt the other night and least to say it went horribly.
    well that is your issue i think. Get a Paladin or a Holy Priest. Shamans, although i love them, are not doing so hot right now compared to the other healers.

---------- Post added 2011-01-31 at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mortisia View Post
    If they are melees they prolly die to Magmaw melee hitting them after the vulnerable phase, since your MT gets eaten thus reseting his aggro, and first melee strike will go to the melee dps highest on threat.
    Solution: Use 2 Tanks.....

Try placing your tank healer in the group of melee, also make sure everyone is stacked up with a druid and a shaman it will GREATLY help out your healing issue. Also make sure you stress to your dps that its OK to use defensive CD's. So many times i see druids about to die and dont hit barkskin. Its just sloppy bad play. Every class has SOMETHING they can hit to stay alive. If your dps complain that "its the healers job" kick them. They arent good players idc what kind of dps they put out.

Over all it is a very intensive healing fight. My guild uses 2 different comps of healers, disc priest/shammy/druid, or pally/Shammy/Disc priest. In both cases it helps tremendously to have the ranged stack up.

Hope this helps you!

15+ Year Old Account
    Does the DK take alot of damage in this encounter when kiting? If he is who is healing him?
    Zift

15+ Year Old Account
    Well Op, your healing group consists of by far the worst two healing classes. That is certainly an issue, but not one that should cripple you on Magmaw. The most likely problem you guys are having is poor strategy or execution. The absolute best strategy for Magmaw is to have everyone who isn't your MT, a Hunter, or a kiting DK if applicable stacked directly at the bosses side where the melee stand. The melee group can not be target for Flame Pillar as long as someone is at ranged. This will also tremendously decrease healing difficulties assuming your healers keep their ground effects down.

How you handle Flame Pillar and the maggots is up to you. If your raid does have a DK, have them go Frost with Chillbains and kite the adds. You can either kill them or simply ignore them the entire fight, works fine either way. The only healing required is random aoe damage on the DK as they should never be getting hit by any of the worms. Keep the main tank up during Mangle, spike the head quickly, and don't let people die to easily healable aoe damage effects. And no Omnitron is not easier, especially for your raid comp. If you guys can't get Magmaw down you would get wrecked by Omnitron.

Like others have said don't be afraid to burn a hefty chunk of your mana during the first up time. Has you get more experience you can learn to time you heals and use more effective ones. You should only get 2ish raid wide aoes before he gets pinned so you don't have to worry some much about the one before impale.

For myself I have noticed people either panic on the fight (me on my first time)or go too conservative. For now I think it's a gear and experience issue. Personally I'd never heal the fight without full heroic gear and enchants.