Thread: New Rogue

New Rogue

As the topic says I am playing a rogue for the first time. I have played the feral cat so I am fimiliar with alot of the rogue mechanics...stealth, combo points, etc. My question however is in regards to the talents and the synergies of a few of them. I am going to go into the assassination tree with a few subtelty talents. I am looking at the ambush opening for example, do Seal Fate, and Initiative work together to get a 5 point finisher as my second special attack after an opening Ambush critical? Sounds fantastic if it does.

New Life

Deleted
    for assassination-

garrote, mutilate (until 5 combo), rupture, mutilate, recuperate, mutilate (until 5 combo), vendetta, cold blood, envenom,

keep recuperate and rupture up and ticking, spam envenoms on 5 combo.

stack mastery and agility, reforge to mastery.

the video on http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-quot-PvP-spec will help alot

Quote Originally Posted by abbot View Post
    for assassination-

garrote, mutilate (until 5 combo), rupture, mutilate, recuperate, mutilate (until 5 combo), vendetta, cold blood, envenom,

keep recuperate and rupture up and ticking, spam envenoms on 5 combo.

stack mastery and agility, reforge to mastery.

the video on will help alot
    This is close to what I have, but just different enough to warrant a new post.

I have spec'd that my DOTs (rupture and garrote) build energy for me, so my rotation is this:
    Garrote, mutilate (1x), rupture, mutilate (1x), Slice n Dice, mutilate (1x), envenom (which refreshes SnD), mutilate (5CPs) rupture, mutilate (5CPs), envenom.... Repeat mutilate->rupture->mutilate->envenom pattern after that so that I ALWAYS have rupture going, and I have envenom going when possible

I'll also add an Expose Armor in there if I'm on a boss fight (wihch is really the only time I get to the "repeat" phase.

Recuperate is a great skill to have, and I use it anytime i get below 50% health, but never at the expense of rupture (I'd rather hit a 1 CP envenom then lose rupture).

As for stats: Agility is king! But, you can't really reforge it, so that's all I'm going to say about it. For reforging purposes, I use this:
    Hit (to yellow cap)-> Mastery->Haste->Crit->Expertise

Expertise is fairly useless since it decreases the mob's ability to dodge/parry your attacks, but if you're attacking from the front of the boss, you have a bigger problem (like, imminent death). As for the reduction in Crit (which I take a lot of crap for doing), crit takes the damage from your WEAPON and creates its value. If you're a Combat rogue, this is great since swords hit like a mack truck, but if you're carrying daggers (which most non-combat rogues do), then even your crit will be "weak", no use getting more of them if they really aren't doing that much for you, and compared to the poison damage you'll get from Mastery, this makes it an easy choice.

Some little things that I've learned, Tricks of the Trade is your friend! Use it early and often! It can save your life, and the extra aggro your tank will receive from it will be appreciated. This is easy enough to add to a macro and cast it on your focus so that you never have to take your eye off your mob. Even in PvP this isn't useless as it gives the target of Tricks a 20%-30% AP bonus (depending if you have this glyphed or not, the glyph gives the LOWER of the two values)

Glyph Sap - If you ever runs dungeons/raids, this will cause all mobs to be sapped for 2:20... That's HUGE, and it will quickly get tanks to fall in love with you! If you're strictly PvP (like, NEVER will run dungeons/raids), then you can skip this advice.

I guess that's about all the advice I have... I'm ready to be flamed...

To answer the OP: Yes the talents do have great synergy and your proposed scenario would gain 5cp.

Darth: That isn't quite why crit is bad, worse than expertise at that. Also most of the time on bosses that armor debuff should be covered by someone else.
    About EP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldriana
    With the usual caveats about these numbers being based on a specific set of gear which probably isn't what you're using, such that these answers will be approximately right but not exact
    Vanilla: 60 Shaman
    BC: 70 Rogue, 70 Druid
    Wrath: 80 Druid, 80 Paladin, 80 Shaman, 80 Rogue
    Cata: 85 Rogue (Holmés), 85 Priest (Naclwater)

Optimum wise is basically Garrote->SnD->Mut/Env(Try to get to 4 CP+ if energy allows. If not a simple Mut will suffice)
    Once you have SnD rolling, maintain Rupture, then Envenom. Dont clip evenom buff unless youre going to EN cap. 4 CP+, till <35% when Murderous Intent kicks in. Then spam Backstab till 5 CPs regardless, then use the finisher.

Darth, your reasoning for why crit is bad is incorrect, and it is below expertise in value. EXP isnt highly ranked as a stat, but it does beat crit.

Regarding the spec for assass, you want to roll with either 31/2/8 or 31/3/7. Doesn't really matter however, gap is somewhere in the range of 40 DPS. You want to basically gem Agi, reforge to poison hit cap, then mastery.

The relevant hit caps are on EJ, as well as some rough EP weights. They aren't perfect, but unless you feel like spreadsheeting they'll be close enough for you. Same for what glyphs do use.

As another note, you always want a Slow MH unless its basically a tier or 2 above your current one. Before it didnt really matter, however Murderous Intent changed that.

Edit-I'm assuming you are referring more so to PvE.
    Last edited by Stuffs; 2011-02-01 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Clarification

Deleted
    Also don't forget to try pvp, it's one of our strong points. Also don't open with ambush if you are not subtetly mainly, garrote much better as combat and muti.