Thread: AMD Build

AMD Build

Inspired by a build i saw in ehre i changed a few things and wanted to make sure everything was still compatible and would work well together.

case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119233
    mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130295
    ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820178238
    cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103894

i realize I will not to be able to use multiple gpu with this mobo, that is not a concern for me as I prefer just one video card, I was planning on a I5 build but with this setup I came in fo far below my budget that A GTX 460 card is an option now, so any suggestions there within a 150 dollar range would be appreciated as I am using a 9800gtx+ card atm.
    For those who have not been reading my other posts my goal is to raid ten mans with at least a high setting with some setting changings, I want to stay above 50 fps, and when i record fights I would liek to stay at 30+ even if that means lowering my settings. TY in advance for the help

I'd also like suggestions on how many case fans i should put in the case.
    Last edited by Banereaver; 2011-01-31 at 09:43 PM.

If you are using a 9800GTX at the moment, there is really no point of "upgrading" to a 460 GTX because it's not really worth it. Invest the extra cash in an i5 build instead IMO. Also, Intel is way better than AMD in gaming, especially WoW, so if you want to get the best performance, you should go Intel. An I5 2500 or i5 2500k with a 9800GTX would be on par, if not faster than the AMD CPU you are looking to get with a 460GTX.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

well i would consider that but seeing as newegg.com has taken all their sandy bridge cpus down atm can't do that lol, should I wait and just upgrade my case for now, or go with another option?

ebay is an option at this point

---------- Post added 2011-01-31 at 02:36 PM ----------

ok so i found this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157219 and i can pick up an i5 2500k on ebay for around 200 dollars, makign my total right around 450 dollars.
    Last edited by Banereaver; 2011-01-31 at 10:25 PM.

Micro Center has the i5 2500k for under $200 after instant savings, so if you have one nearby, I would recommend that. I would never use ebay again after several terrible experiences I have had, I would rather spend a few extra bucks and use amazon.com. But if you are careful, you should be fine on ebay.

Your case is perfectly fine, I see no reason to upgrade it.

If you're not going to be hardcore overclocking your CPU, you can go with the regular i5 2500 which has the multiplier locked. You will still be able to overclock it just fine if you chose to do so, but you will be able to push the unlocked k version a little bit higher.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

I wouldnt consider buying a sandy set up atm with an impending recall looming. From what I've read we shouldnt expect the new boards out until march

Quote Originally Posted by fumunda View Post
    I wouldnt consider buying a sandy set up atm with an impending recall looming. From what I've read we shouldnt expect the new boards out until march
    There is millions of people out there with the new CPUs, I don't think they are all going to rebuild to AMD just because of it. Besides, you can go with the H67 chipset since they don't seem to be affected.

so as long as I go with an h67 board which is fine seeing as sli and oc are nothign i have interest indoing i shoudl be ok still with an intel build, just be careful on ebay, yes?
    Last edited by Banereaver; 2011-01-31 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banereaver View Post
    so as long as I go with an h67 board which is fine seeing as sli and oc are nothign i have interest indoing i shoudl be ok still with an intel build, just be careful on ebay, yes?
    Intel still has not launched a list of chipsets that are definitely affected by it, but so far it seems like the H67 chipsets are not affected. If you want to make sure, wait a couple of days to find out whether or not the H67 chipsets are affected.

I wasnt saying that everyone is going to be rebuilding and its not an immediate issue. But if you are about to do a total rebuild, it does seem that they are now pulling the mobos from the shelves.

So if you are thinking of building a SB now, you might just be out of luck. Or you are knowingly buying buggy hardware,
    Im not here to dog intel or anything was just attempting to pass some helpful info

well worse come to worse i would buy another 100 dollar board 3 months from now? if that is the worst case scenario i am ok with that lol

lol right on brother, I'm in the same boat. I've been dying to get to work on my build which I was intending to use SB, but now I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait to see the z68 or do an AM3/x58 build.

Not sure if you noticed, but your mobo is micro atx, your case is atx. Not saying it wont fit, but you're really paying for more than you need with the case if you really want that board.

And to the person harping on AMD, I was using a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition with an nvidia 9800gt for years and got over 50 fps in most dungeons and raids at ultra settings.
    Last edited by Jadesaturn; 2011-01-31 at 11:36 PM.

yeah i went with the case bc that is the one thing i wanted to make sure would last em trhough a few builds without costing an arm and a leg, but i think i will end up getting the h67 board and gettign a cpu from ebay for now

---------- Post added 2011-01-31 at 03:37 PM ----------

well newegg deactivated all their 1155 soclet boards now so i am screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Jadesaturn View Post
    And to the person harping on AMD, I was using a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition with an nvidia 9800gt for years and got over 50 fps in most dungeons and raids at ultra settings.
    I am not doubting you. I have nothing against AMD, and I certainly do not think that their CPUs are not capable of running games at highest settings. However, I prefer Intel because they tend to perform a lot better in gaming (and just about everything else).
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/20

Deleted
    There is nothing wrong with the OP choice that will be a good comp for a couple of years. Intel problem is only temp but still i can't recommend Sandy Bridge gear to people just now until the situation is a little clearer.

the fact your blowing 184.95$ into a quad core instead of a 1090T is beyond me. You need to do research before you really build a system.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    lol right on brother, I'm in the same boat. I've been dying to get to work on my build which I was intending to use SB, but now I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait to see the z68 or do an AM3/x58 build.
    Z68 will probably be out around the same time they get the P67/H67 fixed.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Eec003 View Post
    the fact your blowing 184.95$ into a quad core instead of a 1090T is beyond me. You need to do research before you really build a system.
    You really need to do some research before you make wild suggestions. Higher clock speeds and 2 less cores will have more benefit to him than a 6 core processor.

@OP if you decide to go the AMD route still, I'd recommend just getting the 955 and overclocking it to match the 970s speed. Saves you about $30.

thank you all for the helpful suggestions, I am still considering an AMD build, for now i just ordered the case with soe more fans, going to do a good clean out on my current system, get everything with proper airflow for now, I am able to play at 50+ when i play on low to mid good settings with projected textures on and ultra view distance, which i am happy with, gets the raiding done and i can frap and keep 30 atm, so my system is working. (At least until I can figure out the situation with the Sandy Bridge stuff as it is more bang for just a little more money) However I was going to ask and this will probably spark some debate with it, I was considering upgrading to Win7. Is it worth the 100 dollar upgrade from Vista. Will it make a difference as far as performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Banereaver View Post
    thank you all for the helpful suggestions, I am still considering an AMD build, for now i just ordered the case with soe more fans, going to do a good clean out on my current system, get everything with proper airflow for now, I am able to play at 50+ when i play on low to mid good settings with projected textures on and ultra view distance, which i am happy with, gets the raiding done and i can frap and keep 30 atm, so my system is working. (At least until I can figure out the situation with the Sandy Bridge stuff as it is more bang for just a little more money) However I was going to ask and this will probably spark some debate with it, I was considering upgrading to Win7. Is it worth the 100 dollar upgrade from Vista. Will it make a difference as far as performance?
    Unless you are upgrading from an OS which is giving you a headache (like Vista is known to do) or upgrading from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit version of windows 7, there will be no noticeable performance difference, especially not in games. In that case, it would not be worth spending $100 on an upgrade.