[Movies] What are your Opinion on movie remakes?

Hollywood Remaking movies?

Personally i found it dumb and lack of creativity since Hollywood is remaking everything now -_- just a matter of days now till we see a LOTR remake LOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the movie industry is dying and they're scrambling to find ways to bring it back to life. Some will tell you it's due to internet piracy, but anyone educated knows that's not true. It's due to the ridiculous ticket prices at the box office constantly inflating, as well as the salaries of the actors/actresses constantly inflating as well. Soon there'll be more money going out of the industry than what's coming in.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Quote Originally Posted by WoWaddict101 View Post
    Hollywood Remaking movies?

Personally i found it dumb and lack of creativity since Hollywood is remaking everything now -_- just a matter of days now till we see a LOTR remake LOL.
    It depends on the film.

I mean, Nolan's Batman movies (more of a reboot than a remake, I guess) are phenomenal, and some movies are "pretty good", but there is also a lot of trash produced.

My opinion is: Don't judge it on whether or not it's a remake, judge it on whether or not it's good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Coen Brother's version of True Grit was excellent. Far superior to the original (Sorry Duke).

I'm cool with it as long as they

a) respect the original
    b) experienced with the source material
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts

10+ Year Old Account
    It would depend on the movie being remade. If the original is "ok" or "poor", then I'm not concerned. If the original is an established classic, then I'm more cautious.
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who

most remakes dont suck. look at star trek for example

well if you watch a movie when it has been first made,

Example: Clash Of The Tians

and then watch the remake you think jesus this is utter rubbish, but as a viewer of the era of SE and CGI the remake COTT was awsome, where as if they ever do a remake of lord of the rings in 30 years time i will hate it because you get to love the actors that represent the characters in the first one, it works both ways really just depends which era you saw the version of the film in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    Because the movie industry is dying and they're scrambling to find ways to bring it back to life. Some will tell you it's due to internet piracy, but anyone educated knows that's not true. It's due to the ridiculous ticket prices at the box office constantly inflating, as well as the salaries of the actors/actresses constantly inflating as well. Soon there'll be more money going out of the industry than what's coming in.
    Ticket prices only go up because more people pirate nowadays, so to bring in the same money they need to charge those honest folk more. I'll agree that our entertainers are vastly overpaid, but the market will stabilize itself, either by cutting actors' salaries or dying out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragstheposter View Post
    Ticket prices only go up because more people pirate nowadays, so to bring in the same money they need to charge those honest folk more.
    That's absolute rubbish. You're making the assumption that everyone who pirates a movie would pay to see it if they couldn't pirate, which very much isn't the case.

For a movie that someone is genuinely keen on seeing, they will either go to the theater to see it, or rent/buy it on DVD. There will be a small group of dishonest people who don't want to pay to see it, but for the most part, a good movie will have the viewers interested in seeing it, pay to see it. In this scenario, if piracy wasn't possible, the movie would still get seen by most of the people who want to see it.

Now for your generic Hugh Grant/Sandra Bullock romantic comedy rehash that no one is really all that excited about, this movie will probably get pirated a lot more than it gets paid to see because people just aren't that interested in seeing it and don't want to pay for it if they can help it. Movies like these that get pirated a lot are gold mines for propaganda against internet pirates because it gives the movie industry a way to "prove" that their movies get pirated more than they get paid for. People pirated their shitty movie because it's not a good movie, not because they didn't want to pay to see it.

Internet piracy is a good thing. There, I said it, and I fully believe it, because it means that big businesses like the movie industry have to step up their game and make good products, otherwise people won't buy them. The "buy before you try" model is becoming a thing of the past, and big businesses don't like that, at all. A pirate who downloads movies because they don't want to pay for them is the same as a person who steals a copy of a movie from a store. These people will always exist. A pirate who downloads movies because they're not that interested in seeing them is a person who doesn't want to support an industry that is feeding them garbage and expecting money in return.

Not to mention, the free (read: FREE) word-of-mouth advertising and sharing that businesses have access to due to internet piracy is far more successful than the billboards and TV ads that they have to spend millions on.

This is a fairly abridged version of my opinion, I could write an entire book on this subject, but I hope you see where I'm coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

You want to know why there are all the remakes?

It's because everything that the writer's strike caused, they decided that instead of writing new material they would put into production things that were already done and just remake them.

We're getting all that stuff now due to the fact that pre-production, production, and post-production take a while and ... yeah.

That's why there have been tons of remakes and reboots and even things like TRON: Legacy, which was good, was because of the writers strike.

---------- Post added 2011-02-03 at 09:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ragstheposter View Post
    Ticket prices only go up because more people pirate nowadays, so to bring in the same money they need to charge those honest folk more.
    I guess you didn't hear that the HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE of ALLTIME - (Avatar) - was also the #1 pirated movie. Guess that disproves your point.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Taxi-remake...*shrug*
    They just should not remake some movies, but some others have been remaked wich were actually very nice to watch...

Edit: Well, actually, I think most of the non-American movies wich are being remaked into a Hollywood version should jsut not exist. It's like ruining the movie, the setting and the feeling you had with the original...
    Last edited by mmocc4309604a4; 2011-02-03 at 10:24 AM.

Deleted
    I love the Rat Pack but would struggle to argue that the new Ocean 11's is not as good as the original.