Poll: How do you feel about Ret at the moment?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

2+ mobs at the same time = bubble heal spam?

Been playing my paladin up to 85 blimey is it hard work. I mostly spam instances as Holy but when I have to quest as Ret (for rep or whatever) sometimes it can be like pulling teeth. Either I get an avalanche of procs and crits and the mob disintigrates before me, but more often than not I'm attempting to whittle it down slowly.

I was doing those quests around Stormwind with Anduin Wrynn as a prelude to Twilight Highlands, and if a couple of those crazed cutlists guys attacked me at once it'd invariably end up with me busting cooldowns, bubbling and spamming terrible heals on myself just to stay alive.

Do you think Blizzard nerfed ret survivability and burst too much?

Poll inc.

If you were ret in holy gear, thats your problem idk what else it could be though. I leveled my ret just recently and with WoG I can easily take 3-4 mobs on at a time. Make sure you know what you are doing rotation-wise. I found my priest killed things more quickly when i didn't get any procs on my pally, but my pally had a shit ton more survivability cuz i could instant heal myself for a good 10-20k.

I used prot for questing/leveling and was the easiest class to ding 85 for me. Quick and painless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schoenkid37 View Post
    If you were ret in holy gear, thats your problem idk what else it could be though. I leveled my ret just recently and with WoG I can easily take 3-4 mobs on at a time. Make sure you know what you are doing rotation-wise. I found my priest killed things more quickly when i didn't get any procs on my pally, but my pally had a shit ton more survivability cuz i could instant heal myself for a good 10-20k.
    No I definitely maintain 2 sets of gear. If that was the problem then I don't think I'd be the kind of player to have found mmo champ and posted on it

They certainly over nerfed us in both aspects. Our damage is very RNG, it will become a tad bit better in the next patch but not much. Holy power generation vs ranged classes is virtually non existent, not to mention word of glory is a pretty pathetic heal when used on yourself. Its pretty funny, on my warrior I can victory rush and heal myself for 50k after I kill one mob, yet a 3hp WoG barely hits for 20k on a crit. Not to mention the damage sacrifice in order to use it.

Though, I can tell you with epic gear it definitely becomes better on the solo side. I can solo the group quest in Twilight highlands for dragonmaw/wildhammer with all of the adds surrounding the npc attacking me as well. I do have to use wings/zealotry and GOAK to do this.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Between our defensive cooldowns (Divine Shield, Lay on Hands, Holy Radiance and Divine Protection), Word of Glory, and our offensive cooldowns (Avenging Wrath and Zealotry), I rarely have problems with handling multiple mobs. I prefer to only take one at a time because it's simply easier and results in less down time (the damage from one can usually be healed by using whatever Holy Power I have left for Word of Glory, any more usually requires using Holy Light as well), but I don't feel like I'm going to die if I end up with more than a few mobs attacking me or if I get a chain of respawns for whatever reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my path from 80 to 85, mobs were much more difficult than any other mobs i ever seen in all the levelling i made during these years. Harder to kill and much more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapscallion84 View Post
    No I definitely maintain 2 sets of gear. If that was the problem then I don't think I'd be the kind of player to have found mmo champ and posted on it
    you'd be surprised the level of stupid that finds its way here.

Me personally I leveled my paladin to 82 as ret and found it extremely boring and I had to heal quite often. I switched to prot as soon as I got a 1 hander and shield and never looked back. It's definitely the way to go as far as survivability while leveling and I was able to take down several mobs at once just spamming Hammer of the Righteous and Word of glory whenever I had 3 holy power.

Deleted
    It's not you or "ret", it's the mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterus View Post
    Though, I can tell you with epic gear it definitely becomes better on the solo side. I can solo the group quest in Twilight highlands for dragonmaw/wildhammer with all of the adds surrounding the npc attacking me as well. I do have to use wings/zealotry and GOAK to do this.
    Ehh, not sure which group quest you're talking about but I've managed to solo everything in Twilight Highlands (except CoC ofc) at level 84 with:
    Warrior, Shaman, Warlock, Paladin

I leveled as Ret in 277/264 ICC gear until around level 83. With very few upgrades at this point. I kept dying or close to at every pull, so i respeced tank with some 277/264 gear i had from ICC as well. I then leveled to 85 much faster and without going below 80% HP, even with 4-6 mobs hitting on me.

The group quest Arterus is talking about is the daily where you have to kill the elite mob with 343k hp. I can do this no prob as prot since the self heals are so nice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapscallion84 View Post
    Do you think Blizzard nerfed ret survivability and burst too much?

Yes, yes and yes.

Gear helps, but outgearing every content shouldn't be the only solution. Even in full heroic blues and half purples facing more than 3 lvl 85 mobs at once is, how should I call it, extremely dangerous because our damage is based completely on RNG - meaning that when you really are in trouble, Divine Purpose and Hand of Light always stop working. And if you can't Repent even one of them and/or they aren't all undead, it's often a time for cooldowns.

I can solo the daily group quests in Tol Barad - but because of the shitty RNG again, I may still have half of my HP left when it dies, or end up using LoH in the middle of the fight despite popping all DPS cooldowns. There shouldn't be that drastic difference. We need some kind of Judgement of Light effect back, badly, or (for PvP) have a ret talent that makes Protector of the Innocent include self heals too.

I am still outgearing (there it is again) most people in PvP, thanks to all the Wintergrasp honor tokens I had saved up before they were removed, but can only think with horror the day when everyone eventually catches up. Those with equal gear are already a pain in the butt.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2011-02-01 at 01:21 PM.

Word of Glory is your best friend! I am prot though, so I am have better damage mitigation, but we have a couple of ret paladins in my guild who leveled pretty quickly without much trouble. As for range mobs, if you have some kind of silencing ability that will make them come to you. For prot Avenger's Shield will do that typically. Not sure if ret has anything like that though.

I find I have to run seal of insight to stay alive which cuts down on my DPS a lot. Playing ret feels like playing the lottery though with all the RNG. I rarely play ret in dungeons as I'm one of our guilds best healers, but the few times I've done it my DPS was either terrible or fantastic. It's not fun when you're basicly playing back seat to the RNG.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xotrem View Post
    For prot Avenger's Shield will do that typically. Not sure if ret has anything like that though.

We don't. You should know that really. I know all 3 specs inside out, but you talk like you would play a different class.

I was having the same issue as you do until i switched seal of righteousness for seal of insight, after that it all became a LOT easier. Agains a single mob youll finish pretty close to 100% HP and you DPS wont suffer much because seal dmg is crap ATM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sylpheed View Post
    I used prot for questing/leveling and was the easiest class to ding 85 for me. Quick and painless.
    And what does this have to do with the OP's problem?

i didnt find it that hard to survive but i have found that only a third of the time do i get enough proks to kill something in a resonable amount if time, whereas the othe 2 thirds of the time i am just waiting on crusader strike to CD in order to gain holy power, all we realy need imo is a bost to the proc rats and we would be set.
    I am dyslexic and proud to be so.
    so you dont like how I spell ?
    To bad learn to be human or gtfo.