Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Should Ret Paladin have been using shields?

Simple question.

DO you think the ret spec should have allowed for 2-h and shield? I think so, it would have been something completely different, could have also meant they had an extra ability or two.

No, I support prot warriors with polearm and shield, but because of blizz's new way of gearing, that wont happend. I definetly do not support this.

Where the heck did this idea come from? What purpose would they have to use a shield? Don't pull threat and you won't get hit. PvP, I don't know but still seems kind of ugh.

Are you trying to give another reason for people to "lolz ret op"?

Deleted
    It won't help rets suck less imho.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, there should not be a specc making s7 protret viable again. It's a braindead specc which does not deserve ressurecting.
    Though, you should use a shield+1h in a 1v1 vs. melee etc before you're going for nuke.

That is if you still play ret, and if you do - I feel sorry for you

Deleted
    No but I did think that Ret Paladins should have had more affinity with their weapon, much like the Death Knight. It just seems to fit better with lore that a Paladin uses a special 2handed hammer, blessed or infused with Light or something, with abilities to reflect that spiritual bond.

Think Uther and Arthas (before the evil).

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be a really cool 31 pt talent. Not replacing zealotry(though that could be debated) but a choice, like warrior who takes single minded fury over titans grip.

I don't think it will ever happen, but I think it is something cool and totally different. It's a fun idea. Honestly, I play ret as it is and we are barely viable. So wut if I play with a 2h and shield
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

i'd rather have 1h and a shield, but that would mean blizzard had to make DPSing shields.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emothianes View Post
    Omg dude vanilla was so awesome because I was awesome and other people weren't awesome and it made me happy to be special because it was so awesome and I was happy.
    Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!

got to admit an dps spec using shield to dps sounds quite fun actually, redesigning retribution for that won't happen anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with ret in my humble opinion, is that for a DPS spec (which is what we want to do when we pick ret) we don't have a lot of real DPS talents, instead we have funny bloaters which have no synergy with the overall tree. Now just take a look at Frost DK or Fury Warrior and you will know what im talking about when i say synergy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnpreston View Post
    The problem with ret in my humble opinion, is that for a DPS spec (which is what we want to do when we pick ret) we don't have a lot of real DPS talents, instead we have funny bloaters which have no synergy with the overall tree. Now just take a look at Frost DK or Fury Warrior and you will know what im talking about when i say synergy.
    Indeed, our talents are way broken off to provide a real unity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gilfer View Post
    got to admit an dps spec using shield to dps sounds quite fun actually, redesigning retribution for that won't happen anytime soon.
    Unless you meant melee, ele sham usually run with shields, specially in pvp.
    I think making our main damage not rely on holy power (meaning, give us something else that doesn't require it, or rework it) would be better than adding this tbh >.>

Shields are kinda for protection...and for tanks, save for Shaman and Holy Paladin. But still. You don't see Elemental shaman and resto shaman whacking people and expecting to take damage in PvE content (in parts where you don't really expect to be taking damage). I call it "decoratively functional" for the most part.

it sounds cool, auto attacking with a shield and a massive 2 h ^_^ ( it can inherit the dps from the actual armor stat )

I would not mind a dps spec with shield and 1h. You can take the 2h away. Upping the dps and give me a true holy and extended shield that allows those who fight beside me to be protected as well, while increasing their damage would be fun and fulfill the lore as a true protector..

well in DnD tabletop, sword and shield Damaging Paladins are very viable. was all about shield slams and holy magic etc.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I would love a paladin dps tree focusing on shields, but that idea lends itself to the idea of retaliation and counter-attacking, which in WoW terms is something a good dps shouldn't be in the place to do.

Sounds more like dps prot than ret, but I love the idea of smacking my holy shield down the throat of whatever boss and not being the tank at the same time.

nope, 2h looks better

Quote Originally Posted by Marc123 View Post
    I would not mind a dps spec with shield and 1h. You can take the 2h away. Upping the dps and give me a true holy and extended shield that allows those who fight beside me to be protected as well, while increasing their damage would be fun and fulfill the lore as a true protector..
    Yes, let's take a class that was traditionally ONLY ever pictured with a large, two handed hammer, and redesign them so that none of their specs use a 2hander.

Bad idea. I find it offensive that holy paladins use shields. They should be reworked into melee armor and weapons, and use a 2 hander like ret. Cuts back on the extra gear that only one spec uses, and would feel more elegant in the end. It might also remind the devs that paladins need synergy talents too.