Thread: PvP in 4.0.6.?

PvP in 4.0.6.?

Heya!

I'm leveling my previous main, a warlock. I've been playing since vanilla 2.0 (oldschool aye!) but I decided to roll a Hunter with Cataclysm coming. My question is, how is PvP as a Warlock these times and how is the next patch gonna affect locks? I'm talking both BG (non-rated) and Arena mainly. I apologize if this question has been asked before.

Cheers,

Lukk

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    its pretty unfair if your affliction. you wont die, you have 0 burst, so prepare for half hour long arena matches if your playing with a healer.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Deleted
    what if you are demo / destro?

10+ Year Old Account
    destro isnt very viable this season do to the larger health pools and how blizz is wanting to get away from burst damage. im kinda fresh to demo, its hit and miss imo. you've gota be coordinated to make sure people dont train you. make sure they dont kick your hand of guldan cuz thats your snare. if they kick that and your trying to get away your gona need your axe toss from the felguard, and then you have demon form for the extra armor. so if your demo pretty much all your peels are interruptable. i feel instant fear bomb is vital for being your oh shit button so i go affliction, if your good at juking demo might be better for you, if not, stick with affliction. shorter casts, more instant casts, and is more mobile.
    Last edited by DiscoGhost; 2011-02-01 at 09:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think affliction is awesome. You may not have crazy burst but you have pressure. Your dots aren't something to scoff at (except for Resto Shams :/) and you have lots of control.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Deleted
    yeah, noticed that thing about destro..blizzard doesnt want burst damage and they buff fury warriors, huunters, and ret pallys on PTR to an insane burst? cmon! I've always found affliction boring to play, so I've always played destro, now i've been playing demo, but as i have seen, the control on arena is kinda low, with just fear, axe toss and that demon leap.. (hand of guldan almost never stuns them tho, they need to keep 4 seconds into the area, or something like that). Whatever, I'll be playing with a frost mage when I got time, is affliction good for that comp?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracken56 View Post
    is affliction good for that comp?
    depends on the healer. if you got a rdruid, ya. your job is just to dot and fear everyone for pressure. the frost mage is the one actually doing the killing most of the time. cc chains all the way! fear/cyclone/poly galore!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    depends on the healer. if you got a rdruid, ya. your job is just to dot and fear everyone for pressure. the frost mage is the one actually doing the killing most of the time. cc chains all the way! fear/cyclone/poly galore!
    what about a 2c2? Frost Mage / Affli Lock

10+ Year Old Account
    im currently playing spriest(me)/frost mage in 2s. i like shadow cuz it has more damage and off heals. i hear affliction/frost mage is also viable, but its more about getting the cc chain for the kill instead of the more solid damage output from my comp. i dont really know much about it, you cant really multi dot targets cuz your going to be chain ccing. i really dont know much beyond that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    im currently playing spriest(me)/frost mage in 2s. i like shadow cuz it has more damage and off heals. i hear affliction/frost mage is also viable, but its more about getting the cc chain for the kill instead of the more solid damage output from my comp. i dont really know much about it, you cant really multi dot targets cuz your going to be chain ccing. i really dont know much beyond that.
    So what spec do u think it would better to play with a frost mage on 2s? affli/demo/destro?

10+ Year Old Account
    So what spec do u think it would better to play with a frost mage on 2s? affli/demo/destro?
    Destro could be good unless you're going up against a competent dispeller. Otherwise I'd stick with affliction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agallochh View Post
    Destro could be good unless you're going up against a competent dispeller. Otherwise I'd stick with affliction.
    As far as I'm concerned, Purge is being nerfed in the next patch, knowing this, and knowing that DPS/Heal comp is usually the more used, what spec should I choose? sorry that i ask that much but, I never played affliction and I don't know the difference at all.

You have obscene amounts of control with that comp, and with Soul swap you can keep a healer busy wondering what or who to dispel or heal. There's no reason for it not to work, if you coordinate your CC. As affliction, you will have almost no burst, so the burstyoudownbyethxforpoints approach wont really work. Think of it more along the lines of applying steady constant pressure with dots, and moving them around at your whim. Like said above, the mage should be doing most of the "killing". You will still probably get trained, because of the fear of fear, so getting good with portal usage is vital.

Double melee classes could be problematic, especially since warrs are such a good counter to locks, and cause they generally wont be affected by spelllocks, limiting a mage/lock comp's control since both classes bring that. And any comp with a resto sham is bad news cause of loldispel+heal, even though blizz wanted dispelling to take thought/skill.

---------- Post added 2011-02-01 at 11:04 PM ----------

As far as I'm concerned, Purge is being nerfed in the next patch, knowing this, and knowing that DPS/Heal comp is usually the more used, what spec should I choose? sorry that i ask that much but, I never played affliction and I don't know the difference at all.
    Its not that resto shams can purge, its that cleansing waters dispels curse+magic and heals the target, and the penalty for dispelling UA is a pittance now. If you want to be anti-healer, affliction is still probably the way to go because of spelllocks and better overall control. The burst from demo or destro is better, but I dont feel that either spec have enough to burst down healers reliably, even with an ice mage, at current gear levels.

Personally, I would stay away from destro, mostly because immolate will get dispelled off constantly. It's long been know to be the weakpoint of destro, and it is a huge gimp for that spec. Demo is tricky because you have long cast times just begging to be kicked and if you get interrupted during HoG, say your prayers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meejum View Post
    You have obscene amounts of control with that comp, and with Soul swap you can keep a healer busy wondering what or who to dispel or heal. There's no reason for it not to work, if you coordinate your CC. As affliction, you will have almost no burst, so the burstyoudownbyethxforpoints approach wont really work. Think of it more along the lines of applying steady constant pressure with dots, and moving them around at your whim. Like said above, the mage should be doing most of the "killing". You will still probably get trained, because of the fear of fear, so getting good with portal usage is vital.

Double melee classes could be problematic, especially since warrs are such a good counter to locks, and cause they generally wont be affected by spelllocks, limiting a mage/lock comp's control since both classes bring that. And any comp with a resto sham is bad news cause of loldispel+heal, even though blizz wanted dispelling to take thought/skill.

---------- Post added 2011-02-01 at 11:04 PM ----------

Its not that resto shams can purge, its that cleansing waters dispels curse+magic and heals the target, and the penalty for dispelling UA is a pittance now. If you want to be anti-healer, affliction is still probably the way to go because of spelllocks and better overall control. The burst from demo or destro is better, but I dont feel that either spec have enough to burst down healers reliably, even with an ice mage, at current gear levels.

Personally, I would stay away from destro, mostly because immolate will get dispelled off constantly. It's long been know to be the weakpoint of destro, and it is a huge gimp for that spec. Demo is tricky because you have long cast times just begging to be kicked and if you get interrupted during HoG, say your prayers.
    thanks for the advices man, really keeping them in mind!

10+ Year Old Account
    Purge isn't a problem, as it can only be used on enemy targets. Cleanse Spirit is the problem, as it removes both Curses and Magic. Team that up with the talent [Cleansing Waters - Reduces the mana cost of Cleanse Spirit by 40%, and when your Cleanse Spirit successfully removes a harmful effect, you also heal the target for 2634 to 2970] and they are healing through the UA damage and the silence is laughable, even moreso in 4.0.6 with 1 second less on the duration.

Overall I believe the most powerful spec for pvp is Affliction, hands down, regardless of UA being negated by resto shams. It's still great against most other healers.
    Last edited by Agallochh; 2011-02-01 at 11:24 PM.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVPC2prDH70

Even though this is only Bg's, It's still awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxes View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVPC2prDH70

Even though this is only Bg's, It's still awesome.
    I'm trying to figure out why he doesn't have like... any spells on the bars.

3v3 warlock is op 2v2 don't even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Agallochh View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why he doesn't have like... any spells on the bars.
    because he is just that good