Mages and Cho'gall dps?

So I'm a little confused at the top dps parses for fire mages on cho'gall. I only checked the #1 parse right now (44.3k dps) but I can't seem to find anything odd in his buffs, and he didn't have some strange comp that let him like...solo adds with dot spread to pad meters or anything weird. Almost all of his damage is to cho'gall (proportionally speaking), and 50% of his damage was from Pyroblast (no exclamation point). Fireball isn't on his list, if you add ignites and Pyroblast! about 76% of his damage was from those three.

I'm at a loss here, is there some sort of strange bug out there? 44k dps for a non-gimmick fight seems off, especially from a class that isn't ontop of such fight's meters anywhere else.

[edit] Forgot teh linkage.

Rankings: http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/play...25N/Fire_Mage/
    Top Mage's Kill, Damage Analysis: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/9...?s=5423&e=6012
    Top Mage's Kill, Mage Details: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/9...?s=5423&e=6012

Protip, link information you reference so others can review it.

I'm going to guess he got max corruption and spammed pyroblast.
    EDIT: Yes, taking a cursory glance through his buffs gained, you can see that he gained Corruption: Absolute http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82170

Thats a pretty smart idea, getting full corruption then getting DK's to be down Anti-magic Zone to reduce damage while the mages went pew pew.
    Props

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    I'm going to guess he got max corruption and spammed pyroblast.
    EDIT: Yes, taking a cursory glance through his buffs gained, you can see that he gained Corruption: Absolute http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82170
    Ah, didn't even think about checking debuffs since I just figured you'd never make it through the fight with 100%. Guess he got lots of absorbs before the aoe's and stuff. Dunno what real purpose that serves other than getting on top of WoL as "that guy who cheesed it," but hey people do it all the time. Mystery solved!

You have to do it to beat enrage timer with current gear, in a few weeks when there 90%+ in heroic gear then it probably wont be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Esg View Post
    You have to do it to beat enrage timer with current gear, in a few weeks when there 90%+ in heroic gear then it probably wont be needed.
    It's a normal mode parse, heroic I could see it being a good idea, though, but now I wonder why it's only mages? Perhaps we just have the most benefit from the cast time removal? I'd figure the catsers who are above us on meters would end up winning out, still. Especially destro locks.

For hardmode perhaps you do, but for normal, which is what these logs are for, there is no need do that at all, the only reason you do this is so that you can pad the metres to get 'ranked' on WoL. Personally I wouldn't look down on this kind of thing in raids very favourably from a raid leading point of view.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosham View Post
    For hardmode perhaps you do, but for normal, which is what these logs are for, there is no need do that at all, the only reason you do this is so that you can pad the metres to get 'ranked' on WoL. Personally I wouldn't look down on this kind of thing in raids very favourably from a raid leading point of view.
    To get ranked - or to simply have some fun on the encounter and possibly try this before attempting heroic. Face it, some people do stuff for fun, not only for virtual epeen. I doubt the RL has not agreed to what the mage intended to do, since this tactic requires cooperation of everyone to make it possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    It makes it faster, and thus easier on healers (plus they dont have to heal the mage as it would be a waste anyway). Before "looking down on it" from your "raid-leading" perch, consider the full picture.

It's funny to see someone say they "look down on this" when it not only is the only way to beat the heroic encounter but for the mage to have done this even on normal mode takes a full raids commitment to running absorbs on 1 or 2 mages to keep them alive for the duration of the encounter and then brezzing them right before the final phase starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd View Post
    It's a normal mode parse, heroic I could see it being a good idea, though, but now I wonder why it's only mages? Perhaps we just have the most benefit from the cast time removal? I'd figure the catsers who are above us on meters would end up winning out, still. Especially destro locks.
    unlikely, since conflag and chaos bolt have CDs, and a decent amount of lock damage is periodic. fire mage is the only spec i really see benefiting alot from this, arc would oom too fast, frost...well DF cooldown, Spriests are almost all periodic damage, ele...CD on shocks i guess, don't know much about shamans, same w/ boomkins

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd View Post
    Probably because a warlock would have to life tap to maintain mana, which would kill them pretty quickly given the rate of spammage. A mage can just throw on mage armor. Not a bad idea to do. Might try it!

Cho'gall hard mode is currently parsing as a normal encounter on World of Logs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato Bus View Post
    unlikely, since conflag and chaos bolt have CDs, and a decent amount of lock damage is periodic. fire mage is the only spec i really see benefiting alot from this, arc would oom too fast, frost...well DF cooldown, Spriests are almost all periodic damage, ele...CD on shocks i guess, don't know much about shamans, same w/ boomkins
    Boomkins are much more heavily DoT-dependent now, and their top damage would rely on switching between Starfire and Wrath to trigger eclipses. Wrath is a fast cast, so it won't benefit from the insta-cast buff as much. Also their heavy damage nuke (Starsurge) is on a cooldown like Chaos Bolt.

Elemental Shamans get a lot of their damage from Lava Burst and Fulminaton. Lightning bolt doesn't hit hard. Lava Burst is a cooldown (with a proc to refresh it from Flame Shock ticks) and Fulmination comes from stacking lightning bolts (which would happen faster, but not as big of a deal).

Not familiar with how they changed lock specs much in Cata, but Destro or Demo would probably do pretty well spamming Soulfire. Maybe not as well as fire mages, though, since locks still rely on a pet and dots a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    Boomkins are much more heavily DoT-dependent now, and their top damage would rely on switching between Starfire and Wrath to trigger eclipses. Wrath is a fast cast, so it won't benefit from the insta-cast buff as much. Also their heavy damage nuke (Starsurge) is on a cooldown like Chaos Bolt.

Elemental Shamans get a lot of their damage from Lava Burst and Fulminaton. Lightning bolt doesn't hit hard. Lava Burst is a cooldown (with a proc to refresh it from Flame Shock ticks) and Fulmination comes from stacking lightning bolts (which would happen faster, but not as big of a deal).

Not familiar with how they changed lock specs much in Cata, but Destro or Demo would probably do pretty well spamming Soulfire. Maybe not as well as fire mages, though, since locks still rely on a pet and dots a bit more.
    Yeah, there's also the mana issue with spamming abilities, and having a lock lifetap when they can't be healed is not so good. Whereas fire can switch to scorch spam when low on mana and waiting on evo/gem.