Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    This discussion clearly went over your head. I know how to treat customers and I don't need you tell me how. If I felt like adding word for word on how the call went, I would have.... However, I clearly didnt expect a narcissist revolt against my post. The clear intention wa for everyone to post their own tools and pick the winner by the end of the week.
    I think perhaps what you may not have counted on is just about everyone who reads this has probably at some stage had a terrible dealing with some ass hat that they want help from on some help desk. But many may not have worked as support on the end of a phone. So hence they identify with your caller as opposed to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyLee View Post
    Ha ha... What?

From what the OP said, he did EVERYTHING wrong. We don't have the full story no, but from what he typed out. He really shouldn't be working in a call centre.

And as of you, you actually think he did nothing wrong. Oh my, you never worked in a job that requires you to talk to other people? Or have you never had a problem and had to call someone like him.

No offence, but your an idiot. And your statement definitely directs back to yourself.
    The whole no offence thing, followed by calling me an idiot... you know that doesn't really work right? Lets recap the phone call:

Customer calls up yelling at the CSR,
    Customer was told she had to make a payment,
    Customer says she wasn't rang to be told she needed to make a payment,
    Customer is told notifications are sent by mail,
    Customer says she needs special treatment as its a second home and she doesn't reside in said house,
    Customer is told she needs to update her mailing address to fix that issue,
    Customer starts using profanity and name calling,
    Customer calls back, reports CSR to supervisor, but is so irate that supervisor feels no need to listen to recorded call.

The end. Now, are you really going to say he didn't do his job, that he has no place dealing with people? I'd have told her to go **** herself the minute she started using profanity and name calling. That makes ME the one who shouldn't be dealing with people. His reaction makes him exactly what type of person required to do the job. What he thinks to himself has no bearing to the call at all, unless you think the lady was reading his mind the whole time? His actions are what counts, and his actions were correct and right.

Your reaction is ridiculous and i've decided you aren't worth my time reading your posts anymore. Hope you have a wonderful day now /smile.

Every Call Center has their own Rules. If a Customer starts getting rude and uses profanity where I work, we have every right to hang up on them. We have no desire to be treated like trash just because you're down on your luck. I'm not here for you use as a verbal punching bag.

Most of the people here saying that the OP is a tool for how he handled the call based on the protocols of his company have most likely never even worked in a Customer Support position.

I thought it was a funny story and the woman got what she deserved. If you can speak in a civil tone, then everything will be fine. Even if there is a bit of attitude, that's understandable in most situations. However, yelling, screaming, and using vulgar language is out of the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    This is good, be a man about it.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.
    Mists of Pandaria Beta Club ~World of Warcraft Annual Pass.

Deleted
    Good work with handling the customer, exactly what I'd've done.
    I've also had to deal with a customer like that, their delivery 'did not arrive at the right address'...
    Yeah...the guy had moved and hadn't bothered to change his billing/delivery address.
    I wonder why people spazz out when you mention that they should've updated their billing/delivery address.:/

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpzilla View Post
    If you can't handle profanity should you really be working customer service? I'm usually cursing before I even make a call to customer support.
    This and a bag of chips. If you can't take the irate customers (the fault laying in them or otherwise) you should probably get another job.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    The whole no offence thing, followed by calling me an idiot... you know that doesn't really work right? Lets recap the phone call:

Customer calls up yelling at the CSR,
    Customer was told she had to make a payment,
    Customer says she wasn't rang to be told she needed to make a payment,
    Customer is told notifications are sent by mail,
    Customer says she needs special treatment as its a second home and she doesn't reside in said house,
    Customer is told she needs to update her mailing address to fix that issue,
    Customer starts using profanity and name calling,
    Customer calls back, reports CSR to supervisor, but is so irate that supervisor feels no need to listen to recorded call.

The end. Now, are you really going to say he didn't do his job, that he has no place dealing with people? I'd have told her to go **** herself the minute she started using profanity and name calling. That makes ME the one who shouldn't be dealing with people. His reaction makes him exactly what type of person required to do the job.

Your reaction is ridiculous and i've decided you aren't worth my time reading your posts anymore. Hope you have a wonderful day now /smile.
    Your the one that needs to /smile

As I already am doing so at your replies.

He thinks she is a tool because she doesn't know EVERYTHING about HIS job/company.

Have you even read what he says about her? That whole attitude and he works in a call centre.

Yes, you hate people, you can't stand people having a go/swearing at you, and you hang up on customers who you just confused. Of cause we will hire you!

Trust me, from what he made it out like in his original post, it's not a job for him.

And clearly you know NOTHING about working in call centres. Jeeze

I don't think this thread has gone how the OP intended, lol.

To be honest, both parties are in the wrong. I'm not going to start giving in-depth explanations as to why I think this, but I'm personally siding with the Customer. The way in which the OP delivered the post made it sound as if you were superior, and looking down upon the customer. You took the wrong moves, which resulted in the customer becoming even more irate.

Anyway, why isn't this thread locked out? It just seems to created a flame fest

Quote Originally Posted by Velossa View Post
    This and a bag of chips. If you can't take the irate customers (the fault laying in them or otherwise) you should probably get another job.
    Or maybe the customer should realize that they're an adult speaking to another adult and should conduct their business in an orderly and civilized fashion. There's no need for name calling and yelling at a person you're calling for help.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow some of you guys hypocritic. I can almost guarantee that if this were another "the worst player" thread you bee all up in it with a story from a heroic you did earlier with that noob [insert player class here]. But no, if someone is being a jackass in real life it's off limits. Get a grip.

Your the one that needs to /smile

As I already am doing so at your replies.

He thinks she is a tool because she doesn't know EVERYTHING about HIS job/company.

Have you even read what he says about her? That whole attitude and he works in a call centre.

Yes, you hate people, you can't stand people having a go/swearing at you, and you hang up on customers who you just confused. Of cause we will hire you!

Trust me, from what he made it out like in his original post, it's not a job for him.

And clearly you know NOTHING about working in call centres. Jeeze
    I hereby would like to nominate this person for the tool award.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the perspective of someone who has worked as a CSR (and never will again), and someone who has had the reason and motivation to call a company (Hi Comcast) and demand rectification of a problem (whether that problem be percieved on the customers end, or real and legitimate), the way your post SOUNDS, i would have had the same reaction as a caller. Working as a CSR in a call center, I would assume you know that most customers who are at the point of calling into you are somewhere between annoyed and irate. I realize that doesn't make your job easy, and I'm not even saying that you handled the situation wrong - but the way you told it, that is the impression that has clearly come across.

Zoots pretty much paraphrased the training that I received, and pretty much outlined the best possible handling of the situation as you described it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I'd like to nominate a lot of people within this thread for the tool award, but it would make it so hard to choose a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    Ok, I thought this would be really fun. I have a local radio show that does this and I find it very entertaining. Every week on Tuesday (Tool Tuesdays), people will call in and give their story on a "tool". The next following week on Tuesday, they do it again but also list the winner from the previous week. Rinse and repeat. It is kind of a kick in my opinion. Everyone tell us a story of a tool they encounter during the week. So by the end of that week, we can create a poll to see who the winner is.

If it doesn't work then oh well... it was worth a shot.

My tool of the week:

I work at a call center for my local power company and I deal with tools all day long but the one I feel like mentioning is the folllowing -
    Customer calls in about her account because it was turned off for non-payment. She is already upset because her power got turned off and so she starts yelling at me to turn her power back on right now. First of all... I don't turn people's power on from a flip of a switch. We actually have to send a serviceman out in the field to turn power on/off from their meter. So already this lady sounds ridiculous. Second of all, this lady had not made a payment on her account for over 2 months.

So I told her we needed a payment before we can reconnect her service. She said that no one called her to let her know her power was about to be shut off. I almost laughed... Not once has this company ever called a customer to let them know their power is about to be shut off and even if we did, who knows if she answered her phone. Most large utility companies will send notifications by mail that they are late on their power bill. So, I told her that. She said she needs special treatment because its a second home and she doesn't live there. I told her then that she needs to update her mailing address so you can receive your bills and late notices. She then resorted to name calling and profanity. Then insulting me telling me I don't know what i am doing. I ended up disconnecting the call at that point and the customer called back to report me to my superior... my superior didn't even take the time to listen to the recorded call because the lady was so out of control there was no reason for it.

anyway, sorry for long read. my tool of the week.
    Gratz on being tool of the week OP. You sure are a huge one.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeeesssssss! I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Pushealer View Post
    Gratz on being tool of the week OP. You sure are a huge one.
    Yea, damn those people doing their job in the proper and correct way, hate those tools!

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon4275 View Post
    Or maybe the customer should realize that they're an adult speaking to another adult and should conduct their business in an orderly and civilized fashion. There's no need for name calling and yelling at a person you're calling for help.
    Only that's never gonna happen. Let me make it perfectly clear, I am in no means supporting the customer, nor any customer who responds this way, but that's just how it is. Customers push workers around because they can and most of them have entitlement complexes if irate. I'm not saying it's right, it certainly isn't, but thats just how people respond in this day and age.

I was under the impression that most people in the customer service field knew this.

Yeeesssssss! I win!
    Nono, we still need to vote!

10+ Year Old Account

This one gets my vote. I never try to do a job w/o my sawzall
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nono, we still need to vote!
    Well surely you can at least vouch for me to win

As I never win anything. And now you can't change your mind as you are in my sig. So ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuravolpe View Post
    Only if we get a pet for the disaster that was your parents deciding to breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Velossa View Post
    Only that's never gonna happen. Let me make it perfectly clear, I am in no means supporting the customer, nor any customer who responds this way, but that's just how it is. Customers push workers around because they can and most of them have entitlement complexes if irate. I'm not saying it's right, it certainly isn't, but thats just how people respond in this day and age.

I was under the impression that most people in the customer service field knew this.
    Oh completely. I 100% understand that. I wasn't saying you were throwing support either way. Just that people want to act like they have big boy/girl pants until they get slapped on the wrist (Not making a Payment) then want to throw a hissy fit because they were wrong to begin with.
    Most Call Centers state that if a customer is overly irate with you that you can hang up on them. At least most of the ones I've seen.

However, the OP handled the Call exactly the way that his Call Center allows. He followed the Protocol of his company and (This isn't directed towards you,) shouldn't be viewed as a Tool for doing so. I'm a Help Desk Associate for the Peace Corps so I'm generally Trouble Shooting Computer issues. People do get upset, yes. Has it been enough for me to hang up on anyone though? No. The Employees of the Peace Corps treat the Help Desk with respect and they realize we're here to Help.

Working in a Call Center that is for an Electric Company though... People get Really Up tight when it comes to money. It's understandable that they get upset, but in the end if the Bill isn't paid, it's their own fault. Whether its ignoring the notice or forgetting to change their Billing Address. It's in no way the Reps fault and they still deserve to be treated like an Adult.