Thread: 7.99% hit

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

7.99% hit

Was able to swap some reforge's around and got a bunch more haste/mastery but now my hit is sitting at 7.99%, just wondering if the .01% will even matter at all during a boss encounter

EDIT: 10 minutes of autoshoting a dummy and not 1 miss, problem solved.
    Last edited by Destroyed; 2011-02-01 at 10:54 PM.

Deleted
    might do, but probably not. It'll be fine brah.

If i remember my hunter numbers, it will, due to your pets expertise and hit being rounded down to the nearest whole number. It wont effect your dps much, but it will drop a good amount to your pet's dps. you need to be at 8% or above to get full expertise and hit on your pet
    Last edited by Maniic; 2011-02-01 at 10:40 PM.

If you are a class with a pet then it will a little bit since your pets hit rounds down. If you are 7.99 your pet is at 7 other then that I wouldnt give it any thought unless you dw if you do then you are way low.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    It does if you're an unholy DK, as hit rating on your ghoul always rounds down. So 7.99% means that you'd only have 7% hit on your ghoul.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniic View Post
    If i remember my hunter numbers, it will, due to your pets expertise and hit being rounded down to the nearest whole number. It wont effect your dps much, but it will drop a good amount to your pet's dps. you need to be at 8% or above to get full expertise and hit on your pet
    I believe somewhere Blizz said the pet's hit is exactly equivalent to the player's now, so it would have 7.99% as well.

That .01% will haunt you when you miss your interrupt and wipe your raid because you weren't hit capped. Get capped.

I played my hunter pre 4.0. Those numbers where effect at least tell then. If there has been a change since then, I must have missed the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrumpt View Post
    That .01% will haunt you when you miss your interrupt and wipe your raid because you weren't hit capped. Get capped.
    lol that would be epic could you imagine?

Obviously if you wanted to be 100% mathematically optimal, you'd want to hit 8%, but 7.99 is not a big deal at all.

Some day, some time, one of your attacks will miss the boss. It will not wipe your raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrumpt View Post
    Hunters are known for their interrupts.
    Herring seeks your life!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trickster0306 View Post
    lol that would be epic could you imagine?
    I know my guild would get a good /guffaw out of it . It really depends I suppose. Chances are you will never notice it. However, if your guild is one where one mistake = 50DKPMINUSOMGGKICKTHENOOBWTFBBQ then you probably want to get capped.

Well I'm starting heroics tonight and I always get top 100 parses so I hope this extra mastery will outweigh that one miss on 1 encounter for the entire night

YOU CAN'T MISS AN INTERRUPT ACTION. ONLY THE EFFECT CAN MISS. (silence, extended time to cast etc.)

THis is coming from a tank that had to interrupt Maloriak with only 3% hit. Never failed to interrupt, the slowed casting time missed often.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Q) What is the hit cap?
    A) The hit cap for a hunter is 8% (960 hit rating will get you 7.99%). If you are a draenei you will only need 840 hit rating (which is 6.99%) - pets now do inherit the hit buff. Draenei buff is self only now so all other hunters will need to cap from gear alone. Pet hit no longer rounds down.
    Last edited by Kalti; 2011-02-01 at 11:25 PM.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Why it doesn't matter if you are 100% hit capped:

First of all, hit is no longer the top stat. In fact, by reforging everything into hit, you may actually be hurting your DPS, even if you are otherwise below the hit cap. To quote EJ (note: this quote is from the MM article, but should apply equally well to all specs):

Agility is now a better stat than hit rating. Compared to Wrath, the benefit of agility went up when it became worth 2 AP instead of 1 AP. With factoring in the crit benefit of agility, the weighting of agility increased by a factor somewhere between 1.5 and 2. While it is still true that the benefit of 1% hit continues to increase as our DPS increases, it now takes 120.109 hit to make 1% hit when it used to only take 35.79, meaning that in Cataclysm, hit rating is roughly worth 3.5 times less than what it was. At the same time, our DPS is not yet even twice that it was in Wrath, resulting in hit rating currently being worth about half of what it used to be relatively speaking.
    As a result, you definitely want to prioritize agility over hit rating, and sometimes it may even be worthwhile to prioritize secondary stats as well (i.e. crit, mastery, and haste). For example, my hunter is currently about 49 points below hit cap, but it's actually a DPS loss for me to reforge (or enchant hit) to get to the cap. This is because there are "sweet spots" for all the stats, and sacrificing haste (for example) will bump my Cobra Shot cast time up enough that I'll have to delay an Explosive Shot to fit an extra CS between ES cool downs. Frankly, this can be hard to predict just looking at your stats, so I would definitely use a spreadsheet to verify what reforging options are best for you (femaledwarf.com).

Secondly, hit rating is no longer rounded down for your pet. In Wrath, if you were at 7.99% hit, then your pet was only at 7% even. Obviously, that would be a pretty substantial DPS loss for your pet (and, thus, for you). However, this is no longer true. As someone mentioned earlier, pets now inherit our hit rating directly, so if you are at 7.99% hit, your pet is, too.

Why it does matter:

There are two areas where being 100% hit capped may be important: A) Interrupts, and B) CC.

As for interrupts, this shouldn't really be something you have to worry about. If DPS is at all a concern, you should currently be specced SV (which is substantially higher than MM or BM). SV doesn't have any viable interrupts (ignoring Scatter Shot and Wyvern Sting, which aren't real interrupts). If you are in the type of situation where 1 missed interrupt is going to make or break a fight, then you are also probably going to be most useful to your group performing best at your primary role, DPS. As such, you'll be specced SV and should let one of the other classes with better interrupts worry about it.

This may change somewhat when 4.0.6 comes out (it's looking like MM will be the top DPS spec). If you are MM, then you'll likely have Silencing Shot and may be called on to interrupt more often. However, since Silencing Shot is on a 20 sec cooldown, there are still other classes with much more reliable options.

Finally, the one area where being 100% capped may be worth a (small) personal DPS loss is with CC. A bad hit rating may cause you to just flat out miss your CC, and, more importantly, it may cause your traps to break early. Mobs have a random chance to break CC early, and this chance is reduced based on your hit rating. If you are in a situation where CCing is one of your primary roles and having it fail early may mean a wipe, hit rating becomes more important. However, with something like a 7.99% hit rating, I don't think you'll ever notice a difference between that and 8% flat.
    Last edited by necramar; 2011-02-01 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Typos

7.99%... it should mean that you will miss, but only with a 0.01% chance to.
    i know that sounds obvious but its true
    but it will not matter if you have a draenei in your raid.

i dont profess to be any expert on the intricacies of stats and im sure there are a lot better people on these forums who can tell you, but from my point of view id say its pretty much insignificant
    medicus quercum, venit.
    One's soldiers should not yell abuse at the enemy. "Arouse a bee and it will come at you with the ferocity of a dragon." - Takeda Nobushige

Quote Originally Posted by Saethwyr View Post
    Draenei hit buff is personal only as of Cataclysm.
    Even when it wasn't, it was party only.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saethwyr View Post
    The draenei racial is self-buff now, your group doesn't benefit from it anymore