Thread: 7.99% hit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    M8, you can see it like this.

Since your a Hunter and shot all the time with your ability's and Auto shot you will be able to miss but,
    That will be 1 miss shot in 1000 shots.
    So in fact, dont worry about that or if you really, but i mean realllly dont want to miss anything, get a potion hit flas or food buff with Hit and try it out.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    0.01% miss chance means that you will probably miss 1time every 10000 hit. So I think that is really insignificant. At the start of cataclysm I had 7.89% and I had never missed.

Deleted
    I would probably go completly OCD over it. I just cant have 7.99%. :P

Quote Originally Posted by necramar View Post
    There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Why it doesn't matter if you are 100% hit capped:

First of all, hit is no longer the top stat. In fact, by reforging everything into hit, you may actually be hurting your DPS, even if you are otherwise below the hit cap. To quote EJ (note: this quote is from the MM article, but should apply equally well to all specs):

As a result, you definitely want to prioritize agility over hit rating, and sometimes it may even be worthwhile to prioritize secondary stats as well (i.e. crit, mastery, and haste). For example, my hunter is currently about 49 points below hit cap, but it's actually a DPS loss for me to reforge (or enchant hit) to get to the cap. This is because there are "sweet spots" for all the stats, and sacrificing haste (for example) will bump my Cobra Shot cast time up enough that I'll have to delay an Explosive Shot to fit an extra CS between ES cool downs. Frankly, this can be hard to predict just looking at your stats, so I would definitely use a spreadsheet to verify what reforging options are best for you (femaledwarf.com).

Secondly, hit rating is no longer rounded down for your pet. In Wrath, if you were at 7.99% hit, then your pet was only at 7% even. Obviously, that would be a pretty substantial DPS loss for your pet (and, thus, for you). However, this is no longer true. As someone mentioned earlier, pets now inherit our hit rating directly, so if you are at 7.99% hit, your pet is, too.

Why it does matter:

There are two areas where being 100% hit capped may be important: A) Interrupts, and B) CC.

As for interrupts, this shouldn't really be something you have to worry about. If DPS is at all a concern, you should currently be specced SV (which is substantially higher than MM or BM). SV doesn't have any viable interrupts (ignoring Scatter Shot and Wyvern Sting, which aren't real interrupts). If you are in the type of situation where 1 missed interrupt is going to make or break a fight, then you are also probably going to be most useful to your group performing best at your primary role, DPS. As such, you'll be specced SV and should let one of the other classes with better interrupts worry about it.

This may change somewhat when 4.0.6 comes out (it's looking like MM will be the top DPS spec). If you are MM, then you'll likely have Silencing Shot and may be called on to interrupt more often. However, since Silencing Shot is on a 20 sec cooldown, there are still other classes with much more reliable options.

Finally, the one area where being 100% capped may be worth a (small) personal DPS loss is with CC. A bad hit rating may cause you to just flat out miss your CC, and, more importantly, it may cause your traps to break early. Mobs have a random chance to break CC early, and this chance is reduced based on your hit rating. If you are in a situation where CCing is one of your primary roles and having it fail early may mean a wipe, hit rating becomes more important. However, with something like a 7.99% hit rating, I don't think you'll ever notice a difference between that and 8% flat.
    it says agi is better than hit so u would chant gem for that u cant reforge gear to give more agi. thats obvious but hit is still prime to cap to 8% then worry bout the other secondary stats as ur gear item lvl increases u will notice that hit is more important as ur abilities hits for more

Quote Originally Posted by necramar View Post
    There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Why it doesn't matter if you are 100% hit capped:

First of all, hit is no longer the top stat. In fact, by reforging everything into hit, you may actually be hurting your DPS, even if you are otherwise below the hit cap. To quote EJ (note: this quote is from the MM article, but should apply equally well to all specs):

As a result, you definitely want to prioritize agility over hit rating, and sometimes it may even be worthwhile to prioritize secondary stats as well (i.e. crit, mastery, and haste). For example, my hunter is currently about 49 points below hit cap, but it's actually a DPS loss for me to reforge (or enchant hit) to get to the cap. This is because there are "sweet spots" for all the stats, and sacrificing haste (for example) will bump my Cobra Shot cast time up enough that I'll have to delay an Explosive Shot to fit an extra CS between ES cool downs. Frankly, this can be hard to predict just looking at your stats, so I would definitely use a spreadsheet to verify what reforging options are best for you (femaledwarf.com).

Secondly, hit rating is no longer rounded down for your pet. In Wrath, if you were at 7.99% hit, then your pet was only at 7% even. Obviously, that would be a pretty substantial DPS loss for your pet (and, thus, for you). However, this is no longer true. As someone mentioned earlier, pets now inherit our hit rating directly, so if you are at 7.99% hit, your pet is, too.

Why it does matter:

There are two areas where being 100% hit capped may be important: A) Interrupts, and B) CC.

As for interrupts, this shouldn't really be something you have to worry about. If DPS is at all a concern, you should currently be specced SV (which is substantially higher than MM or BM). SV doesn't have any viable interrupts (ignoring Scatter Shot and Wyvern Sting, which aren't real interrupts). If you are in the type of situation where 1 missed interrupt is going to make or break a fight, then you are also probably going to be most useful to your group performing best at your primary role, DPS. As such, you'll be specced SV and should let one of the other classes with better interrupts worry about it.

This may change somewhat when 4.0.6 comes out (it's looking like MM will be the top DPS spec). If you are MM, then you'll likely have Silencing Shot and may be called on to interrupt more often. However, since Silencing Shot is on a 20 sec cooldown, there are still other classes with much more reliable options.

Finally, the one area where being 100% capped may be worth a (small) personal DPS loss is with CC. A bad hit rating may cause you to just flat out miss your CC, and, more importantly, it may cause your traps to break early. Mobs have a random chance to break CC early, and this chance is reduced based on your hit rating. If you are in a situation where CCing is one of your primary roles and having it fail early may mean a wipe, hit rating becomes more important. However, with something like a 7.99% hit rating, I don't think you'll ever notice a difference between that and 8% flat.
    That EJ article is stupid because you can't reforge to Agility... Hit is better than crit/mastery/haste so reforging hit won't hurt you if you are under the cap.

Unless they just goofed and were talking about gemming instead of reforging. But reforging has nothing to do with agility, and no you won't be hurting your dps if you reforge hit when under the hit cap...

Like a couple others have pointed out, if you aren't required for any kind of interrupt/CC or anything other than just being a steady damage bot (that minimizes his own damage taken, has good raid awareness, etc...) then by all means, you should be happy at 7.99%.

If you are being depended on for other things, then get that last .01%
    This signiture is brought to you by the letters F and U, and the number 2.

"I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role."

10+ Year Old Account
    So i once had 16.98% hit as caster warlock, on chimaeron, i would constantly miss my corruption spell.
    Bad luck? Guess so, but i reforged my gear up to 17.10% again, just because RNG can be harsh sometimes.

Chimaeron gives a 75% hit reduction

Havnt read the thread.

But think of it this way, if you reforge/regem/enchant so you might end up with 8.05% hit.

Lets just say in this case that 0.01% hit is = 1 rating

If you then say the same goes for crit or something. Then that means that you are wasting 5x as many stats to get to hit cap instead of keeping it on 7.99%. I doubt that hit (before cap) is 5x as good as crit. However, if its the case, then it would be worth it.

Not sure if that made sense, but im tired, im not a hunter and english is my offspec!

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyed View Post
    Chimaeron gives a 75% hit reduction
    Yah was about to say that... I hate it too especially when it's on a conflag, immolate, or a long cast soul fire =/

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshiva View Post
    YOU CAN'T MISS AN INTERRUPT ACTION. ONLY THE EFFECT CAN MISS. (silence, extended time to cast etc.)

THis is coming from a tank that had to interrupt Maloriak with only 3% hit. Never failed to interrupt, the slowed casting time missed often.
    This is not entirely true. On various accounts I have missed interrupts on Arcanotron. I believe they changed Skull Bash with a hotfix a few weeks back?

Quote Originally Posted by pyropete View Post
    That EJ article is stupid because you can't reforge to Agility... Hit is better than crit/mastery/haste so reforging hit won't hurt you if you are under the cap.

Unless they just goofed and were talking about gemming instead of reforging. But reforging has nothing to do with agility, and no you won't be hurting your dps if you reforge hit when under the hit cap...
    What they are referring to is prioritizing hit above agility. And, yes, that can come in to play regardless of reforging. For example, in Wrath it was pretty common to use a lower iLevel piece because it gave you hit, even at an agility loss. Now, however, using a lower iLevel piece to gain hit will be a bad idea, because hit is worth less than agility.

As for the second thing, yes, reforging to hit CAN be a DPS loss even if you are under the cap. If you are on the border of a haste "plateau", reforging haste to hit will be a DPS loss, even if you are currently under hit cap. Say you have 757 haste (the amount required for non-goblins to get to a 1.67 Cobra shot cast), and you reforge 50 of that to hit. You are going to experience a DPS loss because you will have to delay your next Explosive Shot while your CS finishes casting. If you don't believe me, run it through the spreadsheets and find out for yourself.

Regardless, my point was that you shouldn't analyze stats in a vacuum. You can't just make blanket rules like "You MUST be 100% hit capped for max DPS." That may work in general, but there are balances between the stats that make that sort of statement unreliable. Rather than worrying about achieving a certain number, you should be checking on what combinations of stats work best for you current gear, because they won't always line up with the generally accepted "rules."

Quote Originally Posted by wilska View Post
    This is not entirely true. On various accounts I have missed interrupts on Arcanotron. I believe they changed Skull Bash with a hotfix a few weeks back?
    Fact. My raid was wiping on Nefarian relatively consistently in P2 due to interrupts missing (prot warrior and feral druid, both under hit cap). This was yesterday.

In most cases I wouldn't be bothered if I was 0.5% under hit or 0.01% but right now on my hunter I seem to be having no problems getting hit capped(ilvl 342 average). I haven't looked at the raid gear too much yet so maybe hits a tad more difficult to get but as Surv I wouldn't be too worried about a 0.XX% miss chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    I wouldnt give it any thought unless you dw if you do then you are way low.
    Speaking as a hunter... what?

Whether or not you are dual wielding as a hunter doesn't effect the amount of hit you need to be capped and if you are dual wielding you either have horrible luck with stat stick drops or are doing something horribly wrong.

OP is worst hunter on Stonemaul.

I kid, I kid.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just reforge your bow's secondary stat into hit and be done with it, it'll stop you worrying bla bla bla and whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    chances are it really wont matter. its .01 percent thats like nothing, its like that chance of rolling a 1 on a /roll how often does that happen (as sucky as it is)
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    chances are it really wont matter. its .01 percent thats like nothing, its like that chance of rolling a 1 on a /roll how often does that happen (as sucky as it is)
    Actually, you have a 1% chance to roll a 1.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirahadori View Post
    Fact. My raid was wiping on Nefarian relatively consistently in P2 due to interrupts missing (prot warrior and feral druid, both under hit cap). This was yesterday.
    You need only 5% to interrupt Nefarian effectively as they're only lvl 85, I am sitting on 4,99% chance

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

I raid at 7.85% hit cap, and I havent missed yet (check my logs end of night).

Yes im playing the numbers but the chance is so miniscule I just havent bothered playing around with reforging again.

and also saying 0.01% = 1 miss in a thousand is actually a gamblers fallacy, all shots are independent of each other so have equal chance to miss. Youre not guaranteed 1 miss in a thousand, you may have 400 misses because youre unlucky or none at all.
    Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 2011-02-02 at 09:08 AM.