Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a big fan of either, but Football is much better than that Handegg sport Americans play. Why do they call it football anyway? It just doesn't make sense.
    "I have taught you many ways to kill a mortal, Kratos. Flesh that burns, bones that break. But to break a man's spirit is to truly destroy him!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltronn
    GIRL BETTER BE QUIET MAKIN MA SAMMICH... ¬.¬

Quote Originally Posted by Altrusion View Post
    It's called soccer because it sucks!
    Its really only called soccer in America. Everywhere else it's football or fußall.

Im a massive, massive Futbol (soccer) fan. I prefer Futbol because of the skill that is involved when actually playing the sport. Watching players like, messi, xavi, gerrard, drogba in action blows my mind. Not to mention the passion of the supporters and finally, seeing all the different styles of the world, fight it out in the Champions League.

I cant really comment on American Footbal (Gridiron), i watch it when its on TV and there is no Futbol or AFL on, but i dont really understand the sport and in my opinion, unless you fully understand how a sport works, all its rules etc. you cannot fully enjoy it and Therefore cannot comment on which of the Two is better.

In the end it all comes down to personal preference and opinion, like someone said earlier its like arguing which wow class is most fun to play.

"Opinions are like arseholes, everones got one and they all stink".

Quote Originally Posted by netherflame View Post

Futball gains off the immense amounts of physical endurance required as well as coordination and situational knowledge
    lol....your whole argument is an embarrassment...you give futball points for coordination but not football? every SINGLE play is coordinated in football...in soccer, you could grab a few randoms off the street and still play. if you brought a group of randoms together to play football, it would be a joke and you'd get pummeled.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshiva View Post
    umm. what?

You mean Handegg. Not football. You play Football with your feet. You play Handegg by jumping on top of other men for a pig bladder shaped into a badly grown melon; every so often a dude kicks it, just so that someone else can pick it up.
    No, that's not Football.
    Also: there is NO excuse for padding. At all. I give you: Rugby. Which is only marginally better than Handegg.
    This. Padding is a bit exagerated.

OT: Futball (Lol, we call it futbol here -.-), Handegg's nice, but the real football is better, but Basketball is awesome too, and I like Baseball, but between handegg and football, I prefer the 2nd.

If you tackle with your head you will have one of two things happen both of which you deserve for being a moron and tackling with your head down.
    1. The player you are trying to tackle makes you look like a fool.
    2. You hurt yourself because you compress you spine.
    Head up not to compress your spine, your taught to put your nose on the ball. When a running back lowers his shoulder though everything happens so fast that there is bound to be head to head contact. Without the helmet people would A. not be willing to be full speed and the hits would not happen or B. people would die. I can't remember which president made it happen but said the sport would be banned if they couldnt figure out a way to make it a safer sport. For people who wonder why we call this sport football is because the sport evolved from soccer. Slowly the rules changed more and more, the name stuck. The reason why we call it soccer is because people from europe who were trying to make the sport of soccer more popular named it soccer here in the states. also I hear it isnt uncommon for people in the UK to call the sport soccer.

with handegg, there's a 3 minute commercial break after every 5 minutes of "play"

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    I prefer football to American football personally. A huge part of the reasoning is the obscene amount of breaks in American football which has caused me to lose all interest in it.

While some players drop on the ground at the slightest touch (Hai Christiano Ronaldo, did your hair get messed up again by that clean tackle) a player like Lionel Messi just shows how the sport in essence is played. I have no doubts that most football fans would love having the whole dropping on the ground whining part purified from the sport, but blame the individual player, not the game.

Football hurts, there might not be as hard tackles as in American football, but the players are usually slimmer and more fragile in football, and does not wear a layer of padding who can basically stop a bullet, so tackles can hurt big time.
    Pity that my countries football team doesn't realize he's a team player, and can't do everything alone :S Also, the players who drop on the ground all the time are just sissies and cheating bastards, but you can't just take them away.

I'm a bit biased though, my school has a Rugby team so I know a lot more about Rugby than about American Football.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistafreez View Post
    also I hear it isnt uncommon for people in the UK to call the sport soccer.
    Not being English myself I must admit I doubt this. I can watch a few English tv channels that shows football, and not once have I heard them saying soccer. If it's starting to evolve in England I think it's more foreigners (like myself) who have moved to England, and being inspired by American movies etc might have taken the term "soccer" with them.

---------- Post added 2011-02-02 at 02:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTKF View Post
    Pity that my countries football team doesn't realize he's a team player, and can't do everything alone :S Also, the players who drop on the ground all the time are just sissies and cheating bastards, but you can't just take them away.

I'm a bit biased though, my school has a Rugby team so I know a lot more about Rugby than about American Football.
    I absolutely adore his playstyle, and the fact that makes me a firm believer of him being the best football player in the world lies in him actually playing football. If he falls, he gets up again and continues his run instead of lying down whining like aforementioned footballer >_>

And indeed, I expected so much from Argentina at the last world cup, because even though I in general never really liked Argentina (what can I say I grew up with an amazing Brazilian football team in tv, so obviously I started disliking their archrivals ) you guys do have fantastic footballers =)
    Last edited by Pozz; 2011-02-02 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistafreez View Post
    I hear it isnt uncommon for people in the UK to call the sport soccer.
    We only really tend to call it soccer when dealing with old people / Americans

Quote Originally Posted by Rezusian View Post
    I like the skill level of soccer, the reason I have never got into American Football is the crazy amount of rules, the plays, the amount of players involved, the breaks every few seconds (minutes?).

I studied American Sport slightly back in college and Americans supposedly love high action physical games which is why I don't understand why most of the sports are so broken up by time-outs, quarters, etc, etc, and then on top of that all of the padding? Just confuses me a little!
    One reason only - commercials

Why real football aka soccer is not popular in USA, cuz how can TV stations earn money in a game that has 2 x 45 mins timeplay without time-outs or brakes where you can put 30 sec commercial....and those 15 mins when there is a brake.....nobody is at TV, ppl go for a tolilet, beer, make sandwhich or something...

rest of the world that has tradition in football will follow that on TV. But in USA theres no reason for TV stations to make football popular cuz they can make more money in sports like American Footbal, Baseball, Hockey and Basketball.
    Last edited by dim; 2011-02-02 at 01:17 AM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyMC89 View Post
    The best American Footballers are great athletes. The best Association Footballers are artists, geniuses in their craft.

There isn't anyone in American Football even half as talented as Messi and Xavi, or Zidane and Maradona were.

Yes the sport is filled with greed, corruption, disgraceful fans, but the very best footballers provide the greatest entertainment in any sport.
    This. I love it when kids who don't know shit about Football think "Herp derp the game is kick ball, score goal, yay game ends!", and proceed to give an accurate description about their sport, I bet they don't know shit about football, except for the World Cup.

Football...soccers ok. But I'm biast because I grew up with football.

In general...

"Thowball" vs. Football. Research the history of how American Football became a sport in the US, its kind of interesting and kind of typical how Americans "do" things.
    It would seem that the only reason people get butthurt over the discussion is because the rest of the world logically calls playing the ball with your foot, football.

If you've never played one of them outside of your school gym class then you probably have no room judge either way. I've played soccer for 32 years now and never once played "Throwball". Soccer is very physical and involves a tremendous amount of skill...despite the bad name some of the diving pussies in professional soccer give the sport...they are 1 in 100000.

I love soccer; I have little to no opinion on American Football. I don’t play it, don’t watch it and don't really even understand how the game is played. Interestingly enough, I live in Dallas Texas...Football Capital of the world.

For those of you who like it, enjoy the weekend coming up

Quote Originally Posted by Leandros View Post
    Football...soccers ok. But I'm biast because I grew up with football.
    I doubt anyone in this thread is not biased in some way

15+ Year Old Account