Deleted

Why I Will Play Rift

There are a lot of threads about the upcoming MMO game Rift where people are suggesting to others that they play this game. People don't take kindly to being told what to do. So instead, im going to give the WoW loyalist a bit of honest perspective and say why I have pre-ordered it and will play it.

This is my WoW character: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/aerie-peak/adelbern/simple (add http to the start, i can't add full links yet).

Im not hardcore by any means, but by my achievement points you can tell I've played my fair share of WoW. The reason I will play Rift is because it is FUN. I have not had so much pure, undistilled fun in an MMO since the first time I started playing WoW back in late 2006. Guild Wars first time through was great. Guild Wars 2 is marketing so hard, something doesn't feel right. It feels like they're trying to achieve too much, and striving so hard to 'change' the MMO genre. Grand plans. But the best laid plans of Mice and Men..

I grinded through Aion because my girlfriend persuaded me to try it. I got to the point I could do Kromede's Trial (around level 30? can't remember) and I told her I just couldn't stand playing anymore. She stopped soon after. I even recently tried DCUniverse but frankly, the pandering to console market in the controls and gameplay ruined it for me.

I heard about Rift via these very forums. I thought, 'Oh here we go, another WoW killer lulz'. I went on Curse.com and got a trial-key for a laugh. Thanks to my uber-fast broadband I had it installed and running in 30 minutes. The graphics card requirement is quite high but I got it running with 30-40fps on mostly high settings with my older nVidia GTS250.

4 hours later I stopped playing and realised I'd just been playing this stupid game for that long without break. Wow. Fun. I'd almost forgotten about you, old buddy. I didn't give a shit about achievement points, raids, auctions, dailies for guild rep, or any of that grinding rubbish present in every MMO (even Rift). I just sat down and enjoyed the game like I haven't in WoW since late Wrath. No dungeon finder? I played during TBC. I got off my ass and into the frickin' trade chat at level 19 and formed a group for the 'Realm of the Fae'. It was a blast. Paladin/Void Knight/Reaver. Imagine Arthas combined with a Twilight Dragon and thats what that talent combo is. I couldn't and still can't put my finger on it, but the game is just fun. The animations, the familar 'WoW-esque' interface, the variety of classes, the streamlined public group experience, the rifts, the generic and yet fun quests. Running through Silverwood hunting satyr's just to find one leaning against a tree playing a flute (he actually played a full song on the flute). I couldn't bring myself to kill Mr. Tumnus. Instead I just stood there taking it all in that they would add a little touch like that to the game - just like Blizzard used to do.

tl;dr ?

Like every game, it isn't everybody's cup of tea. Rift has combined so many elements from popular games (WoW interface and features, Guild Wars storyline, Aion graphics) you would expect it to be utter shit. However, just like when one of your mates combines the weirdest ingredients into a sandwich and makes the best tasting thing you've ever eaten, Rift has done the same and made a genuinely fun game.

My 2 pence.
    Last edited by mmoc4fa48d822f; 2011-02-02 at 12:19 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a goldfish.

INB4 lock.
    Seriously thou i love rift and all but are 500 different threads of each persons point of view needed?

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyLee View Post
    I have a goldfish.
    I'm confused

Deleted
    Sub-positive temperature related reading, sibling

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Heres why I won't be playing rift: I don't own a windows machine.

Didn't even look at the game. And enough with all these RIFT threads.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    I'm confused
    Exactly. It doesn't matter. See....

In other words. Rift is new, of cause it's "better" and more "refreshing" than a game you have been playing for the past *however-many* years.

So yeah, I stated something that doesn't matter to anyone else. Just like OP, and the 1000 other people who do it on a daily basis.

It's always most fun to play a new game. The main reason some people are burned out with WoW is because they've been playing the same for so long.

I'm pretty sure that once you're through the first experience there's gonna be endgame stuff, and maintenance and other chores at your character that are not necessarily fun.
    But you at least persuaded me to try Rift out. Damn you if you make me addict to another great game. DAMN YOU!

Nah, people should just play the game they like, wether it be WoW, Rift, or whatever. I won't be quitting WoW since I damn LOVE Cataclysm, so Rift better sucks ass, I don't have time for both ^^

Have fun all!