Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    People die every day, war start and thousands of innocent people die because of it, people lose their jobs because of bad economics, get horrible diseases etc.

But when some dogs die or cats are hurt it is suddenly; "Oh lordilord!", what I find funny is that you seem to all be angry at the guy with the traumatic dreams who suffer from what he did, instead of blamming the company he worked for.
    You guys are not animal lovers, to be animal lovers you have to love majority of the worlds animals, not just the cute ones.

Those of you saying he should be shot, disgust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
    A gun that he likely already had and/or borrowed, a 10 dollar box of ammo, and a big hole in the ground. That does not "cost a lot". As for him feeling guilt I hope he does. I also hope he gets locked up for a long time and loses his ability to own so much as a hamster in the future. If he couldn't take care of them, he shouldn't have bought them. I feel no pity for this person.

You are right, its worse. At least a human can fight back.
    I believe they were referring to the cost of euthanasia (correct me if I'm wrong Deneweth) which is typically around the 50 dollar mark. $5000 is what he tried and would have paid to have them put them down the proper way but they were denied that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goomerpile View Post
    Although I do not necessarily like the reason for putting the animals down, I have to wonder about the strong reaction from you posters. I think your strong reaction is based on the fact that these animals are viewed by you as pets and not working animals. It is not uncommon for working animals to be put down when they are no longer needed or wanted. Do you all share the same reaction when you hear about livestock being slaughtered for your meals. I understand that the animals are not the same, but the principle is still the same. Dead is dead. Just because it serves your purposes, it is alright?
    Important difference, the slaughter of animals for food IS the purpose those animals were raised for. The slaughter of animals whose purpose was not food is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Seriously that's just bad business to shut down if costs > gain. In reality good businessmen find a new market or a new customer segment or start marketing. What you're saying is just what a stupid number cruncher would do with no business sense.
    And how exactly would you find another market for sleddogs ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BruinPride View Post
    You have the best point in this thread and everyone seems to have skipped over it. I love my english bully he's my right hand man I have a hard time yelling at him for chewing on my 120 dollar nike dunks but he is my pet, these are working dogs. I don't cry and sob when I eat chicken knowing that someone somewhere could have adopted it and I doubt that many that eat meat do. (if you do eat meat and cry while eating it you may want to consult a psychologist immediately) What actually aggravates me the most is those dogs could have been put down peacefully and quickly but they weren't allowed that because they were viewed as pets.
    The dogs were not raised for food. They were not raised to be killed. If they were viewed as pets why would you run around taking a knife to their throats? That makes no sense. None of this does. I think the bottom line is that there were options to get these dogs adopted. If they did not have a procedure in place for making this happen with overstock they deserve every bit of bad reputation they get from all of this. They should have had a contingency - "oops our bad" isn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotena View Post
    The dogs were not raised for food. They were not raised to be killed. If they were viewed as pets why would you run around taking a knife to their throats? That makes no sense. None of this does. I think the bottom line is that there were options to get these dogs adopted. If they did not have a procedure in place for making this happen with overstock they deserve every bit of bad reputation they get from all of this. They should have had a contingency - "oops our bad" isn't good enough.
    Again, sleddogs can't instantly be turned around to become pets, they're full grown, and used to fight for the power of their pack, they're not fluffy petdogs you can walk over to and hug. If these were given to families they'd cause serious injuries both to the family and innocent bypassers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremmon View Post
    Working animals especially sled dogs do not make very good pets.
    Michael Vick ran a dog fighting ring. out of the 49 dogs seized, 48 were deemed rehabilitate.

It's a valid point that working dogs may not make good pets, or may not something that any random family can adopt. I'm no expert on dogs, but if 48 dogs, trained to fight, trained to be aggressive were put through rehab and adopted, why not with sled dogs?

10+ Year Old Account
    If I got my hands on this person... I wouldn't shoot him... but he would be begging me to by the time I was done with him... These people fucking make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dairios View Post
    Please note, if you're an animal love, you will probably find this outright upsetting/sickening.

Full Story Here: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/sle...#ixzz1CeaRL5uj

Well this just came to light here in British Columbia a few days ago, and frankly I'm sorely disappointed in people right now. The story of this is an Outdoor Adventure company at Whistler mountain maintained 300 Young, healthy Sled Dogs during the 2010 Olympics. However after the Olympics, the general tourism died down and profits weren't as high.

Now there's obviously multiple sides to the story and multiple reports, but as the current information stands - The owning company, IntraWest, ordered 100 of the healthy, young Huskies, euthanized as to avoid a loss in profits or finances to maintain so many animals. However, local Vets refused to do so, as the animals were all healthy. These dogs, over the course of two days in April, were shot, and placed in a mass grave on the mountain, by a single man - the owner and caretaker of the dogs.

What's really tragic, and even quite upsetting are hearing things like this:

It just makes you wonder, what runs through peoples minds when one of their top answers for a situation is "Kill them" when there was a lot of other answers and solutions to the problem. And really, he could have said no, so he's just as much to blame as his employers are for what transpired.

I would personally like to see reprimands on all involved in this terrible incident and I hardly believe a few fines would be an adequate course of action. What do you think?
    I wish i understood your outrage over this as you most likely eat several types of meat. Sure it's not normal to see cows or chickens be pets, but it's possible yet we eat them in the hundreds of thousand a day as a community.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shoulda killed 100 Worgen instead, at least sled dogs are useful for something!

It's kind of sad to see people more worked up over the deaths of animals than your typical domestic homicide. I don't like what's happened here either, but come on.

As horrible as this sounds, the dogs were shot, presumably quickly and as painlessly as possible. They were bred for a purpose, I doubt these dogs were kept in a style during their lives which would render them as suitable family pets for the average householder (good with kids, stable temperament, housebroken even). Trying to place 100 dogs would be a huge task, and taking a long time and many resources until they could be re-homed.

it would be nice to look at it with rose-tinted glasses and say re-homing 100 working dogs would have been a snap, but it almost certainly would have been the opposite :/ i don't particularly agree with what was done, but I understand why it came to pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Acceptable, completely rational response:
    (Even if I don't quite agree.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    This just disgusts me. Makes me sick to my stomach, actually. I'd like to see this guy put out of business and behind bars.
    Unacceptable, irrational, bat shit-crazy response:
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrrah View Post
    Someone should shoot him and see how he likes it. I heard about this earlier, its absolutely ridiculous
    Unfortunately, this world is full of people who make comments like the latter poster, and not the first.

Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    I wish i understood your outrage over this as you most likely eat several types of meat. Sure it's not normal to see cows or chickens be pets, but it's possible yet we eat them in the hundreds of thousand a day as a community.
    Again, I dont think the major problem is the killings, I think its the inhumane way they were killed. They were shot once then left to die, he had to go back after 20 minutes or more and shoot some of them again, thats the issue, atleast with me.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Quote Originally Posted by TheronShadowstorm View Post
    Michael Vick ran a dog fighting ring. out of the 49 dogs seized, 48 were deemed rehabilitate.

It's a valid point that working dogs may not make good pets, or may not something that any random family can adopt. I'm no expert on dogs, but if 48 dogs, trained to fight, trained to be aggressive were put through rehab and adopted, why not with sled dogs?
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...gfighting.html
    Says "half the dogs" and that's after 6-12 months intensive professional care, and those dogs became a part of the governments problem as they're required to confiscate and thus getting responsebility for the "possesions" which were a part of the crime.

They were rehabilitated because of this, not because of someone's good heart.

What sickens me is I had to read through all these whiny posts to get to the bottom of the barrel, where I finally get to reply.

Yeah, 100 shot dogs sure is better than 100 starved dogs? Right, that is what you guys seem to think these dogs deserved? Now I understand, the lot of you are new to the world and don't realize how it actually works.

The Milk Fairy:
    Mommy buys my milk from the magical milk factory where cows aren't bled dry of their milk on a daily bases, good thing cows don't mind to stand while they sleep! It's not like all that excessive milking doesn't cause the cows utters to bleed forcing the dairies to put a small percentage of masking agent (usually bleach) in the milk to dye it white (milk comes out yellow).

Magical Wardrobe:
    Mommy buys all my clothes from a Genie (Alkafeeb) who has magical weavers (slave laborers) craft all of my beloved belongings! The magical weavers are rewarded for their hard work with many gifts (fed daily rations and their 3 cent an hour wages).

My Pink Room:
    My house was built by elves (day workers) Santa (el heffy) sent down from his magical work shop (TJ) just to build my home!

'nuff said.

TLDR version, THEY WERE JUST DOGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Lotena View Post
    These dogs are bred to live and die in a pack mentality. I hate to be the one to tell you but you're not a dog and won't fit in too well. They are not bred like your puppy mill down the street. They are kept as close to a containable wild as possible the dogs run in their pack naturally the human is just a long for the ride. Is it possible to socialize these dogs with people, maybe one or two. A strong pack dog isn't going to take too kindly to you yelling at it and I highly wouldn't recommend giving it a slap for getting in to the trash. They weren't raised for food, they weren't raised to be killed, they weren't raised to be your pet, they were raised to work.
    Last edited by BruinPride; 2011-02-02 at 06:09 AM.

When you really think about it, money really is valued above life; regardless of if its a sled dog or a human everything pays the ultimate price for someone else's fortune literally every hour of every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    Again, I dont think the major problem is the killings, I think its the inhumane way they were killed. They were shot once then left to die, he had to go back after 20 minutes or more and shoot some of them again, thats the issue, atleast with me.
    He had to shoot at least 1 that we know of, and literally hundreds of thousands of animals in the food industry die significantly more inhuman ways. I'm not talking bout the ones that you end up eating, i'm talking about the ones that die before they even get a chance to die of a "humane" way if you call systematically killing species in millions humane.

I just don't understand why people would be outraged at maybe 5 dogs feeling pain as compared to the literal thousands that do on a daily basis of contraction of diseases and horrible living conditions in the meat industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    When you really think about it, money really is valued above life; regardless of if its a sled dog or a human everything pays the ultimate price for someone else's fortune literally every hour of every day.
    The sad sad truth.