Page 1 of 23
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient Dairios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Outside your window... sit up straighter, that's bad for your posture!
    Posts
    233

    Angry 100 Sled Dogs Culled - People Disgust me.

    Please note, if you're an animal love, you will probably find this outright upsetting/sickening.

    Full Story Here: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/sle...#ixzz1CeaRL5uj

    Well this just came to light here in British Columbia a few days ago, and frankly I'm sorely disappointed in people right now. The story of this is an Outdoor Adventure company at Whistler mountain maintained 300 Young, healthy Sled Dogs during the 2010 Olympics. However after the Olympics, the general tourism died down and profits weren't as high.

    Now there's obviously multiple sides to the story and multiple reports, but as the current information stands - The owning company, IntraWest, ordered 100 of the healthy, young Huskies, euthanized as to avoid a loss in profits or finances to maintain so many animals. However, local Vets refused to do so, as the animals were all healthy. These dogs, over the course of two days in April, were shot, and placed in a mass grave on the mountain, by a single man - the owner and caretaker of the dogs.

    What's really tragic, and even quite upsetting are hearing things like this:

    "The first significant incident occurred when he noticed a female, Nora, who he had shot approximately 20 minutes before, was crawling around in the mass grave he had dug for the animals. He had to climb down into the grave amidst the 10 or so bodies already there and put her out of her misery....He also had to perform what he describes as execution style killings where he wrestled the dogs to the ground and stood on them with one foot to shoot them."
    It just makes you wonder, what runs through peoples minds when one of their top answers for a situation is "Kill them" when there was a lot of other answers and solutions to the problem. And really, he could have said no, so he's just as much to blame as his employers are for what transpired.

    I would personally like to see reprimands on all involved in this terrible incident and I hardly believe a few fines would be an adequate course of action. What do you think?

  2. #2
    Someone should shoot him and see how he likes it. I heard about this earlier, its absolutely ridiculous

  3. #3
    It is very sad.

  4. #4
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    This just disgusts me. Makes me sick to my stomach, actually. I'd like to see this guy put out of business and behind bars.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  5. #5
    that is just horrible, I would of shot that man before I'd let him shoot 100 healthy dogs....

    fear of loss of profit?

    srsly.

  6. #6
    So, it would be better if the dogs died from hunger, because the owner cannot maintain them?

    That's the capitalism you praise so highly - you're useless = you're out.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

  7. #7
    why didnt he sell some of the dogs instead if money was such a problem? Those dogs ought to fetch a pretty penny I would think.

  8. #8
    People are incredibly ego-centrized. They view their own species as far more important than any other. Sometimes, there's no other choice, or the creature's suffering will be far worse if it's not allowed a free escape, but something like this? For no other reason than profit-saving greed? What horrible bastards believe that's the best way? One day, humanity will learn how important it truly is in the universe.

    How incredibly sad.

  9. #9
    Although I do not necessarily like the reason for putting the animals down, I have to wonder about the strong reaction from you posters. I think your strong reaction is based on the fact that these animals are viewed by you as pets and not working animals. It is not uncommon for working animals to be put down when they are no longer needed or wanted. Do you all share the same reaction when you hear about livestock being slaughtered for your meals. I understand that the animals are not the same, but the principle is still the same. Dead is dead. Just because it serves your purposes, it is alright?

  10. #10
    These dogs could have easily been adopted out to loving families.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    why didnt he sell some of the dogs instead if money was such a problem? Those dogs ought to fetch a pretty penny I would think.
    And holding onto them untill someone buys them would still cost the man a pretty penny... as would getting the dogs to any buyer.

    ---------- Post added 2011-02-02 at 05:06 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhallows View Post
    People are incredibly ego-centrized. They view their own species as far more important than any other. Sometimes, there's no other choice, or the creature's suffering will be far worse if it's not allowed a free escape, but something like this? For no other reason than profit-saving greed? What horrible bastards believe that's the best way? One day, humanity will learn how important it truly is in the universe.

    How incredibly sad.
    And we humans understand that if there's too much of something it can potentially ruin the world around us. Believe me, we'd start killing each other more often again if we didn't hold some sense of superiority for ourselves and how important Human life was.

  12. #12
    Self righteousness (and some of you seem almost aggressive about it) from a group of people who probably play video games in their spare time instead of potentially doing volunteer work, or assisting others less fortunate.

    I'm not saying your argument is wrong, merely that you might not have much ground to stand on to be making it. No ad hominem fallacies here.

  13. #13
    Warchief gutnbrg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Mageland
    Posts
    2,180
    i actually realized how disgusting and heartless people could be a few years ago when i saw a documentary on hbo called "Dealing Dogs"....it was all about the black market and how dogs are stolen from properties or strays are brought to dog trading markets where this company buys dogs really cheap or trades for them and tries to make a profit by reselling them. and they are treated incredibly bad and when they arent sold they are shot in the head, some of the scenes are the most disgusting things i've ever seen. I had to change the channel at some points bc i knew what was coming next and i just couldnt watch it. Dead dogs left in cages with 7-8 other dogs for weeks just rotting away. Dogs that the sellers think wont be able to sell, but the dogs are realy nice....so the seller beats them and slams them into the ground until the dog starts to get aggressive bc its being beaten, and then the seller says that its "too aggressive to be sold" and just shoots it in the head without a 2nd thought. When its time for dogs to be bathed, they literally put a leash on the dog and swing it thru the air into a big tub of cleaning solution that isnt meant to get in the dogs eyes bc it burns so much and then they drag it out by the leash and put it back in its cage in 0degree weather and then the next day its dead bc it froze to death. The world is really messed up.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022001591.html
    Last edited by gutnbrg; 2011-02-02 at 05:15 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jaelrin View Post
    So, it would be better if the dogs died from hunger, because the owner cannot maintain them?

    That's the capitalism you praise so highly - you're useless = you're out.
    It's people like you that result in news story like that. Not being able to support those dogs is one thing. Executing them as you felt its your only option is entirely different.

    Could they have been given away to loving homes to be taken care of? Just because you can't take care of them doesn't mean they don't have a right to live.

    Have you heard of Michael Vick? He ran a dog fighting ring, 49 dogs were seized. One was declared to dangerous and had to be euthanize, the rest, with rehabilitation were to be given out.

    These 100 sled dogs I doubt would be trained to be aggressive fighters, I doubt they would have require rehabilitation. Why couldn't they have been given away as your last resort. Not senseless murder.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    dont kill the guy for doing this, its getting off to easy. let him rot in some un controlled jail where the prisoners set up their own heirarchy. see how he likes living in the cement jundgle as Bubba's lil' bitch for the rest of his life.
    park him inside the mass grave imho. there's plenty of food for him, build up a fence and lower water to him over the course of a month.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

  16. #16
    Drive him to insanity via water boarding etc, Im not usually one for torture but he's deserving of it.

  17. #17
    Warchief gutnbrg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Mageland
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Goomerpile View Post
    Although I do not necessarily like the reason for putting the animals down, I have to wonder about the strong reaction from you posters. I think your strong reaction is based on the fact that these animals are viewed by you as pets and not working animals. It is not uncommon for working animals to be put down when they are no longer needed or wanted. Do you all share the same reaction when you hear about livestock being slaughtered for your meals. I understand that the animals are not the same, but the principle is still the same. Dead is dead. Just because it serves your purposes, it is alright?
    the animals u speak of are raised to be slaughtered for food, and a chicken has a brain the size of a pebble....a dog is one of the smartest animals on the planet and can learn to do many amazing things.

  18. #18
    UMMM senseless murder!!!! I'm about to go murder a hamburger. I'll probably go and murder a hot dog or two for lunch tomorrow. Just kidding. My point that I tried to make earlier was that these animals were bred and raised to sled. When that purpose was served, they were put down. I've never heard of a dairy cow being adopted when it is too old to be milked. The only difference is when they said dog you saw a cute fluffy puppy and not a working dog.

  19. #19
    omg! i'm a dude and this brought me close to tears i love huskies i use to have one till she past away and b/c i live in Tx(now) i don't want to bring that kind of dog down here because of the heat not cold enough for them

    this mother fucker shot be in jail and be forgotten about no meals no water no nothing let him rot on his on shit this makes me sick

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Goomerpile View Post
    Although I do not necessarily like the reason for putting the animals down, I have to wonder about the strong reaction from you posters. I think your strong reaction is based on the fact that these animals are viewed by you as pets and not working animals. It is not uncommon for working animals to be put down when they are no longer needed or wanted. Do you all share the same reaction when you hear about livestock being slaughtered for your meals. I understand that the animals are not the same, but the principle is still the same. Dead is dead. Just because it serves your purposes, it is alright?
    Livestock for food, work animals, they all serve some form of purpose. A cow is bred to live, die, feed us and everything can be used without waste. A work horse, once its past its prime may be euthanized, and turned into glue. A dog, pet or a working animal, still had a purpose in life whether it is to be a pet, be a sled dog elsewhere, or sent to some 3rd world country to become a gourmet dinner.

    These dogs were executed without having all options exhausted it sounds.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-02-03 at 06:25 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •