View Poll Results: Would a meteor with the size of Texas wipe out earth?

Voters
336. This poll is closed
  • Yes

273 81.25%
  • No

63 18.75%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
    depends, meteors the size of texas enter our atmosphere but disintergrate, we talking size of texas when it hits? if so, then no, not all life but a shit load of it
    Yea... no - meteors the size of Texas does NOT enter our atmosphere on a regular basis.

On topic: Earth wouldn't be knocked off orbit I think, earth is too big for that, way too big - but the amount of kinetic energi transfered from the speed and mass of the meteor will lay waste the entire earth I am sure.
    No Screenshot. No Signature. From WMV or Ingame. Make it big.

Watch me create signatures on Youtube here - Watch my signature gallery here

According to that Perdue thingy...

An iron core meteor the size of Texas just barely glancing the surface of the Earth would create earthquakes measuring up to 15.9 on the Richter Scale, 10 thousand kilometers away from the site of impact... and would impact with a force so powerful it hasn't been seen on this planet since its accumulation.

A few other fun facts -
    The fireball appears 1310 times larger than the sun.
    Max wind velocity from the Air Blast (That would arrive almost 9 hours AFTER the impact): 20100 m/s = 45000 mph.
    And the best part? The final crater? Larger than CHINA.

Oddly, the Earth would only take about 3% damage... clearly, Earth will be the final raid boss of WoW.

wtb astrophysicist..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drukai View Post
    According to that Perdue thingy...

An iron core meteor the size of Texas just barely glancing the surface of the Earth would create earthquakes measuring up to 15.9 on the Richter Scale, 10 thousand kilometers away from the site of impact... and would impact with a force so powerful it hasn't been seen on this planet since its accumulation.

A few other fun facts -
    The fireball appears 1310 times larger than the sun.
    Max wind velocity from the Air Blast (That would arrive almost 9 hours AFTER the impact): 20100 m/s = 45000 mph.
    And the best part? The final crater? Larger than CHINA.

Oddly, the Earth would only take about 3% damage... clearly, Earth will be the final raid boss of WoW.
    Nah man, we'll have to protect Algalon as he imputs codes to deflect a meteor the size of Texas away while fighting Sargeas. :3 Last raid boss imo, would be epic. And on wipes, there should be a cut-scene showing what happens if you fail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Folc View Post
    By wiping out earth I mean destroying every living organism on the planet.
    It's very unlikely that it would whipe out every living organism, bacterias and one celled organisms have been proven to be very tough. As far as humans and "animals" goes, the answer is yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡͌l
    Texas has a Diameter of about 790 miles. The earth has a diameter of about 7,900 miles. So, that meteor would be about as close as you can get to 1/10th the size of the earth. Let's scale down to a size we can wrap our heads around this idea. A 9mm bullet is roughly a third of an inch wide. Multiply that by 10 and you get 3.3 inches, around the size of a rolled up fist. I'll let you imagine what would happen if a 9mm bullet traveling 10+ times its normal speed hit a rock the size of a fist. Laughable doesn't even begin to describe the idea that people might be able to live through it.

Edit: Yea... disregard this post. I wasn't thinking about that fact that diameter proportions /= volume proportions. Ty Slliks, it would indeed be 1/1000th.
    Last edited by Honkeymagoo; 2011-02-02 at 11:03 AM. Reason: wrong maths

Quote Originally Posted by Folc View Post
    I was just saying that the chances of all humans being wiped out if a meteor the size of Texas hit Texas is a bit small imo.
    That's because you have absolutely no understanding of the physics and global impact of an asteroid impact. Texas sized would kill all life on earth, surface life absolutely no question. Everything but possibly some remote abyssal depths of the ocean bacteria, and even then, hard to say. The oceans would be superheated to much more than lethal levels.

Quote Originally Posted by roflicerbob View Post
    Texas has a Diameter of about 790 miles. The earth has a diameter of about 7,900 miles. So, that meteor would be about as close as you can get to 1/10th the size of the earth. Let's scale down to a size we can wrap our heads around this idea. A 9mm bullet is roughly a third of an inch wide. Multiply that by 10 and you get 3.3 inches, around the size of a rolled up fist. I'll let you imagine what would happen if a 9mm bullet traveling 10+ times its normal speed hit a rock the size of a fist. Laughable doesn't even begin to describe the idea that people might be able to live through it.
    Make sure the rock has a semi-liquid interior, a not entirely stable exterior, lots and LOTS of water... oh and its floating in a vacuum.

The impact would be nearly unrecognizable compared to a regular rock.

The only chance we'd have to survive something like that would be if it happened far enough in the future that we had the means to flee to a colony or destroy it before it even got close. A Texas-sized meteor with an iron density wouldn't even leave a planet. The earth would be debris. A new asteroid belt.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

10+ Year Old Account
    ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡͌l
    Quote Originally Posted by drukai View Post
    Make sure the rock has a semi-liquid interior, a not entirely stable exterior, lots and LOTS of water... oh and its floating in a vacuum.

The impact would be nearly unrecognizable compared to a regular rock.
    Wasn't meant to be an exact, or even close, replica of everything that would happen if a meteor were to hit us. I was just trying to make the scenario a little more comprehensible.
    If something that big were to hit us going that fast, we'd no doubt be effed in the a.

Edit: On a side note
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMwKPmsbWE
    Last edited by Honkeymagoo; 2011-02-02 at 10:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok... when i was in school, i made a project about that. a meteor big as texas would literally kill the earth. why?

-it would burn the atmosphere = death!!! the ultraviolet rays would kill everything (if something survived the blast)
    -earthshocks and aftershocks
    -tsunami
    -raining fire
    -vulcano
    etc. etc. etc.

to put and end to this. letz use the link someone posted. texas is 1270 km in length. 1244 km in width. letz say, it is 1 km in depth to calculate the mass. ok we have a quader (dont know if this is the correct word in english^^) 1.579.880 cubic kilometre. an average cubic meter is 1,7 tonnes. so, we have 2685796000 tonnes. (i am sure i have mad a mistake, but whatever, i didnt use Geometry for 6 years now.)

so, we have an meteor with 1270 kms in lenght, he weights 2685796000 tonnes. impact angel is 45 degrees and speed is 11km/s. distance from impact is 1 km. the target is the ocean. a depth from 3000 meter. letz look what happend:

Energy before atmospheric entry: 1.74 x 10^35 Joules = 4.16 x 10^19 MegaTons TNT (ok... i dont know what his is compared to a nuke.... but its fatal... i think)
    The average interval between impacts of this size is longer than the Earth's age.
    Such impacts could only occur during the accumulation of the Earth, between 4.5 and 4 billion years ago.

The crater opened in the water has a diameter of 23300000 km ( = 14500000 miles ).
    For the crater formed in the seafloor:
    Transient Crater Diameter: 14200000 km ( = 8840000 miles )
    Transient Crater Depth: 5030000 km ( = 3130000 miles )
    Final Crater Diameter: 122000000 km ( = 75700000 miles )
    Final Crater Depth: 80.4 km ( = 49.9 miles )
    The crater formed is a complex crater.

Time for maximum radiation: 25.2 seconds after impact
    Your position is inside the fireball.
    The fireball appears 1930 times larger than the sun
    Thermal Exposure: 7.87 x 10^14 Joules/m^2
    Duration of Irradiation: 627 hours
    Radiant flux (relative to the sun): 348000

The air blast will arrive approximately 16 hours after impact.
    Peak Overpressure: 1430000000 Pa = 14300 bars = 203000 psi
    Max wind velocity: 30500 m/s = 68100 mph
    Sound Intensity: 183 dB (Dangerously Loud)

now to the most importan fakt.

The Earth is completely disrupted by the impact and its debris forms a new asteroid belt orbiting the sun between Venus and Mars.
    100 percent of the Earth is melted
    Depending on the direction and location the collision, the impact may totally change the Earth's rotation period and the tilt of its axis.
    Depending on the direction and location of impact, the collision may cause a change in the length of the day of up to 6600000000 hours.
    The impact shifts the Earth's orbit totally.

...quod erat expectandum
    Last edited by Topperharly; 2011-02-02 at 10:44 AM.
    100 druid, 90+dk, 90 warrior, 90 monk, 90 warlock, 90 mage, 90 rouge, 90 paladin, 90 shaman, 90 prist, 90 hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Gregwar View Post
    I'm sure humanity will wipe itself first
    /thread. no need to add anything beyond that.
    10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roflicerbob View Post
    Texas has a Diameter of about 790 miles. The earth has a diameter of about 7,900 miles. So, that meteor would be about as close as you can get to 1/10th the size of the earth.
    Dont you mean 1/1000 of the earth?

Deleted
    ''Booooooom hahahahahaaah! No...wait.....why're the bunker walls melting? Oh shiii...noooo!!! *Blergh*''
    Yeah, would make earth uninhabitable for thousands and thousands of years, but it's 50/50 that something would survive and from that, life would begin anew...on the fiery molten ball that was once known as earth...(I'm talking about microbes and stuff)

10+ Year Old Account
    A meteor 6 miles wide wiped out the dinosaurs... Texas is 12x the size of that, so what was the point of this thread?

Deleted
    Wasn't there a huge-ass meteor that would've slammed into Earth if it hadn't hit Jupiter?

I'm not an expert, but as many other people have said, with high enough speed at impact, a meteor that size... That's GG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    ''Booooooom hahahahahaaah! No...wait.....why're the bunker walls melting? Oh shiii...noooo!!! *Blergh*''
    Yeah, would make earth uninhabitable for thousands and thousands of years, but it's 50/50 that something would survive and from that, life would begin anew...on the fiery molten ball that was once known as earth...(I'm talking about microbes and stuff)
    na sorry, that is a global killer. nothing would life. read what i wrote and you will see what i mean....
    100 druid, 90+dk, 90 warrior, 90 monk, 90 warlock, 90 mage, 90 rouge, 90 paladin, 90 shaman, 90 prist, 90 hunter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryade View Post
    A meteor 6 miles wide wiped out the dinosaurs... Texas is 12x the size of that, so what was the point of this thread?
    Microorganisms actually have a bigger change to survive than dinosaurs.
    And unless someone is qouting some scientific source i wouldnt believe too much of what people say on a forum.

Deleted
    Drop a coin off a very high building if it hits someone on the head it will kill them now take a meteor the size of texas and let it build up in speed and hitting earth destorying the crust and shifting plates l000l. Now the after affects if someone did survive it in a bunker then i guess it would be roughly the same as throwing a tin can a down mountain side

Deleted
    No, bugs would survive.

And I'd rather worry about the fact that meteor can push the planet out of the orbit, rather than the shock wave it will create.

But in the end, humans would die... YAY!